OT: The Philadelphia Seventy Sixers: The Sixers Used Harden - It Wasn't Very Effective (Offseason)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Brook Lopez has almost as many 3PA per game as he does 2PA.

Pretty disingenuous.
Lopez didnt start shooting 3's in the league until ~2016 or so.
Prior to that, he spent 7 seasons as a footwork heavy post scorer.
Literally was the post scorer in the league in the early 2010s. Its been awhile so people forget.
He was probably the last big to have any kind of success/productivity with that archetype.
He was almost out of the league before he changed his style completely.
The first year he shot more 3s than 2s was 2019....his first year with the Bucks.

Al's been hovering around league average 3P% since 2015.
Aside from Dirk, when I think of 'stretch big' he's who I think of.

I wasnt onboard with the Al signing but Jo made it totally untenable with his pouting and inflexibility

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Blow it up....
Will you change your username. Cause i think he needs to be traded. He unfortunately will never be healthy in the playoffs and the 76ers are basically at the same point they were pre process. They couldnt even beat a Hawks team who lost to the bucks (twice) without their best player ffs. This team is soft and fraudulent. No desire, no hustle, no athleticism, get killed on the boards.

The Heat just wanted it more while we have the invisible man James Harden taking 2 shots in the 2nd half of the elimination game. At this point I think I would consider trading everyone on the team except Maxey. This isnt an overreaction, I sort of wanted them to explore the possibility of trading Joel last season. There are too many teams in the conference ahead of them. The 76ers are a treadmill team.

• Haha
Reactions: DancingPanther

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Will you change your username. Cause i think he needs to be traded. He unfortunately will never be healthy in the playoffs and the 76ers are basically at the same point they were pre process. They couldnt even beat a Hawks team who lost to the bucks (twice) without their best player ffs. This team is soft and fraudulent. No desire, no hustle, no athleticism, get killed on the boards.

The Heat just wanted it more while we have the invisible man James Harden taking 2 shots in the 2nd half of the elimination game. At this point I think I would consider trading everyone on the team except Maxey. This isnt an overreaction, I sort of wanted them to explore the possibility of trading Joel last season. There are too many teams in the conference ahead of them. The 76ers are a treadmill team.
I have my concerns with Embiid but it's Embiid or bust..let's face it.

I certainly won't change my name back to Carter Hart...maybe Bedard should we be so lucky which we are not. So Embiid will remain.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Portland won once with Walton. They've only won 1 title their entire history and that was it. It also happened to be when Bill Walton was 24 and they managed to get lucky and have him be healthy for that entire playoff run (or as healthy as a 24 year old version of him got). Portland never won another playoff round with Walton on the team and Walton didn't win another until he was a bench player for Boston in the 80s.

In fact it probably shows the dangers of being a team so dependent on a chronically injured big man as Portland after winning the title in 1976 was the best team in the league the next season, Bill Walton had great stats and won the MVP. But he broke his foot played only like 58 or 59 games and didn't play at all in the playoffs and Portland didn't win a series.

Medical science is obviously better today than it was then... but still the Sixers success is entirely dependent on getting lucky and having Embiid be healthy for those 6-8 weeks of playoffs.
If the Sixers had a real bench, they could have gotten through the 1st rd quicker, given Embiid more time off against Miami and have him partially healed by the Championship round.

The problem is having to ride Embiid until he breaks down b/c the team can't pull out a win or two without him or with him playing limited minutes.

If I'm Morey, I'm telling Rivers I want to see Bassey and Reed on the floor together for 10-15 minutes a game to start next season, and if they work out, keep upping their workload so you can limit Embiid's minutes and sit him some games. Even Drummond was too slow to really fill in, other than great rebounding - in today's NBA, most "big men" are 6'10 and can run and jump and shoot a decent "3" - the days of the big strong post center are over. Embiid is a freak, but even he is going to struggle when even 6'7 small forwards/big guards have the vertical to block his shot coming over on a double/triple team.

A small lineup built around Niang or Harris at center isn't going to work any better than Jordan at center. If your center can't move, teams will kill you in the transition game - if you're center is a midget they'll just attack the paint.

Reactions: JXC

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I'm not going to touch the team-building stuff because it's probably the worst time to discuss it, but individual Defensive Rebounding is not something you want to place value in at this point. Team Defensive Rebounding, yes.

I believe they can opt out, but it doesn't create any cap space because of exemptions?

Green is non-guaranteed. They can get under the cap enough to sign a player and then use exemptions, even without a Harris trade. The question is whether they want that tax bill. Probably not.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Lopez didnt start shooting 3's in the league until ~2016 or so.
Prior to that, he spent 7 seasons as a footwork heavy post scorer.
Literally was the post scorer in the league in the early 2010s. Its been awhile so people forget.
He was probably the last big to have any kind of success/productivity with that archetype.
He was almost out of the league before he changed his style completely.
The first year he shot more 3s than 2s was 2019....his first year with the Bucks.

Al's been hovering around league average 3P% since 2015.
Aside from Dirk, when I think of 'stretch big' he's who I think of.

I wasnt onboard with the Al signing but Jo made it totally untenable with his pouting and inflexibility
Well you made reference to Giannis catering to Lopez, but I honestly see it the opposite way.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
You know, there's something awfully, nauseatingly poetic about the walking wounded ending a teammate's career. I don't know what it is.

The first injury free year for Embiid results in....2 fluke injuries in the playoffs, which cripples him and his team, and him pushing through literally ended a teammate's career on a fluke play.

What a damn shame. This team is shame incarnate. The bench is shameful, the turnovers are shameful, the cold streaks are shameful, the blown leads are shameful, Embiid being Iverson 2.0 is shametul...just a chore. Always a chore in philly

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
You know, there's something awfully, nauseatingly poetic about the walking wounded ending a teammate's career. I don't know what it is.

The first injury free year for Embiid results in....2 fluke injuries in the playoffs, which cripples him and his team, and him pushing through literally ended a teammate's career on a fluke play.

What a damn shame. This team is shame incarnate. The bench is shameful, the turnovers are shameful, the cold streaks are shameful, the blown leads are shameful, Embiid being Iverson 2.0 is shametul...just a chore. Always a chore in philly
I am not so sure the disappointment will end next year either....

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Portland won twice with Walton, who makes Embiid look like Iron Man.

The problem is the bench, this team needs long athletes (Reed, Bassey) who can defend multiple positions - Green was already losing it defensively, which left Matisse as the only plus defender - Maxey is game but short and inexperienced. Hopefully, Springer and Joe can bring some of that at guard next year.

You're not turning a team around with 30 year old veterans you pick up with exemptions - at most they're deep depth, at worst they're Milsap and Jordan. You need cheap young athletes who can take the load off your stars.
Pdx won twice? Care to post a link supporting that claim or should we just throw it on the pile of burning nonsense?

If you make it to Pdx I’ll buy you a beer at the bar called 1977.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Pdx won twice? Care to post a link supporting that claim or should we just throw it on the pile of burning nonsense?

If you make it to Pdx I’ll buy you a beer at the bar called 1977.
I pled senility. It was a long time ago.

Reactions: PDX Flyer

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Guys you aren’t buying that.
1652548489648.jpeg

Reactions: FLYguy3911
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events