OT: The Philadelphia Seventy Sixers: I Guess This Is Growing Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Been a huge fan of Haliburton since his frosh season. He's my type of player, has great strengths but doesn't bleed value in any area. Always saw him as a tremendous off guard, not a primary handler.

TheWolfOfBroadStreet

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
FWIW Fox has started to play better since the Luke Walton firing. But that also coincided with Gentry giving him less of a shot creation role.
Yea hes fallen off a cliff this year. His defense is truly awful this year as well.

That very well might have been me. I've been on the Haliburton bandwagon pretty much since Ben's poop hit the fan.

Still can't shoot in Year 5, of course. Getting worse, in fact.

I think you are right, too lazy to look back lol. I am still sticking to my stance that more would need to come back in a Haliburton trade but I am fully on your side in terms of fit though. Haliburton isnt elite at any one thing, but hes more than solid in every area except for getting to the line. I wouldnt expect he grows much in that regard because he is not the most athletic player who lives above the rim but he is crafty enough to get the shot he wants and is a much better passer this year than last.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I think you are right, too lazy to look back lol. I am still sticking to my stance that more would need to come back in a Haliburton trade but I am fully on your side in terms of fit though. Haliburton isnt elite at any one thing, but hes more than solid in every area except for getting to the line. I wouldnt expect he grows much in that regard because he is not the most athletic player who lives above the rim but he is crafty enough to get the shot he wants and is a much better passer this year than last.

Oh, I agree. Definitely more would have to come back.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Not all shotcreation is created equal.
4/5 of the Sixers starters shoot well above league average on 3s on solid volume per their roles but the offense look considerably .....
lesser than last year.
Just plugging in Hali/Buddy etc doesnt fix a thing.
Simons has a totally different scoring profile and that puts him in a different tier to me.
Shot quality is almost as important as efficiency and volume. Come playoff time its the most important.

Maxey is more efficient on a better team in a more competitive environment than Iverson at the same age.
But the quality of his shotcreation is on a different planet because his selection is much more simplistic.
I have little doubt this is foremost in Morey's mind.

TheWolfOfBroadStreet

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
4/5 of the Sixers starters shoot well above league average on 3s on solid volume per their roles but the offense look considerably .....
lesser than last year.
Simons has a totally different scoring profile and that puts him in a different tier to me.
Shot quality is almost as important as efficiency and volume. Come playoff time its the most important.

Maxey is more efficient on a better team in a more competitive environment than Iverson at the same age.
But the quality of his shotcreation is on a different planet because his selection is much more simplistic.
Could you expand a bit on how Hali doesnt fix anything? Dont disagree with you about Hield though. IMO, Hali would be a great addition as he is not extremely athletic but uses his size very well (especially on D where he is getting better and better), is a WILLING + 3 point shooter, and is crafty with his slashling ability where he can use his height to distribute. I am not saying he is a ben simmons level passer, but he is a lot better than I had originally thought coming into the year. Is Hali a Beal/Lillard difference maker? Not even close. That said, he certainly could slide into the lineup and improve the team top to bottom with the role he would be asked to play. Out of the current options available to us (that we know of so far), I think he would be the best move to make as long as another depth piece was coming back.

Another piece to consider, SAC does not have a true center like Embiid and I think it would help him become a much better rebounder given his size. Once again, he wont fix everything but I am running out of better, realistic options to consider.

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
I like the energy of Charlie Brown Jr; I wish the Flyers had more guys cut from his cloth

Reactions: Jack Straw

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
lesser than last year.

True on Maxey - he puts up remarkably little garbage for a young guy

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Your guy Freddy Vanvleet just had

24 pts(8 of 8 shooting)
3 rebs
3 assists
1 block
2 steals

In the 3rd Q.

In all honesty, if you want to see a crazy 5 mins of ball....and hero ball.....try and find the last 5 is minutes of the Raps 3rd Q. It was crazy to watch.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Your guy Freddy Vanvleet just had

24 pts(8 of 8 shooting)
3 rebs
3 assists
1 block
2 steals

In the 3rd Q.

In all honesty, if you want to see a crazy 5 mins of ball....and hero ball.....try and find the last 5 is minutes of the Raps 3rd Q. It was crazy to watch.

Whose guy?

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Your favorite Raptor

My favorite raptor:

306062281-480px.jpg

Reactions: Tripod

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Could you expand a bit on how Hali doesnt fix anything? Dont disagree with you about Hield though. IMO, Hali would be a great addition as he is not extremely athletic but uses his size very well (especially on D where he is getting better and better), is a WILLING + 3 point shooter, and is crafty with his slashling ability where he can use his height to distribute. I am not saying he is a ben simmons level passer, but he is a lot better than I had originally thought coming into the year. Is Hali a Beal/Lillard difference maker? Not even close. That said, he certainly could slide into the lineup and improve the team top to bottom with the role he would be asked to play. Out of the current options available to us (that we know of so far), I think he would be the best move to make as long as another depth piece was coming back.

Another piece to consider, SAC does not have a true center like Embiid and I think it would help him become a much better rebounder given his size. Once again, he wont fix everything but I am running out of better, realistic options to consider.
The Kings lack of scoring bigs (Holmes is ok but he is a garbage scorer not a set up a play scorer) really doesn't allow the floor to be spread out. I think Hal would so flourish with a big like Jo Jo setting up wide open looks. As far as Buddy he so needs a ticket out of Sacratomato. Not a lock he doesn't improve but far from impossible either. Sixers going to have a salary back and would rather take back a Hield then say a Kevin Love type.

What are better options? Sabonis wouldn't work well with jo and Lavert can't hit from 3. ATlanta is Collins too much like Tobi? I don't want a Gallinari, Reddish package for sure.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I thought Tobi was good last game, but he still had some groan plays. Tonight was easily the most efficient, clean game he's had in a while (this season?). He didn't take a 3, but I don't think he passed up any grade A chances; if anything, he one touched it to a more open shooter a couple times. Just fast decisions, including passes on drives. Good for him, especially at home.

I don't know who the heck Charlie Brown Jr. is, but on a team of mediocre athletes, he had a really good 12 minute stint. Long and fast and disruptive defensively, couple nice passes and cuts. He looked like a playable deep bench sub for Green/Matisse. Good grief, this team cries out for athletes, especially on D.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Embiid’s passing this season is not something I saw coming.

Feels like a true "necessity is the mother of invention" moment. I'm sure seeing Jokic win MVP with his playmaking didn't hurt. This team could not function offensively without his improved passing -- it's a gravity nightmare. With Curry also making a small step as a passer, their 2 man game right now is basically impossible to defend. I feel like, in this recent stretch, Embiid is rolling more than usual out of those looks.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I thought Tobi was good last game, but he still had some groan plays. Tonight was easily the most efficient, clean game he's had in a while (this season?). He didn't take a 3, but I don't think he passed up any grade A chances; if anything, he one touched it to a more open shooter a couple times. Just fast decisions, including passes on drives. Good for him, especially at home.

I don't know who the heck Charlie Brown Jr. is, but on a team of mediocre athletes, he had a really good 12 minute stint. Long and fast and disruptive defensively, couple nice passes and cuts. He looked like a playable deep bench sub for Green/Matisse. Good grief, this team cries out for athletes, especially on D.

I was impressed with Brown too. He has that smooth effortless kind of athleticism that lets him just kind of glide around the court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad