The Pettersson and Hughes Contract Thread | Tick tock...

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Dhaliwal said on the radio this morning that there is nothing to the 8 million dollar rumored deals and there is still lots of work to be done.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Benning is kind of like climate change. It's the underlying issue with every topic so is really always relevant, but those who want to ignore it can always deflect it away as irrelevant and off-topic
This Holtby shit getting discussed in here has nothing to do with Pettersson and Hughes extensions.

Me wishing this thread wasn’t constantly about Benning is the only place I actually agree with the folks who approve of Benning.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
The clock is ticking and no news yet.

We are getting precipitously close to these 2 gentleman not being available for training camp.

Don't blame them though. If you are going to waste your life on a (possibly) bad team, might as well get that paper

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
This Holtby shit getting discussed in here has nothing to do with Pettersson and Hughes extensions.

Me wishing this thread wasn’t constantly about Benning is the only place I actually agree with the folks who approve of Benning.

Ignore the posts not about Pettersson/Hughes.

It is very simple and easy.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Dhaliwal said on the radio this morning that there is nothing to the 8 million dollar rumored deals and there is still lots of work to be done.

It's like somehow worse that there's lots of work to be done vs. being close to signing deals (even if they weren't ideal). We're getting dangerously close to camp and preseason, and Hughes/EP leverage only increases as the team stumbling out of the gate without them looks very bad for management.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I'd try to get Hughes under 8 preferably 7.5 per 8 and call it a day with him. EP if won't go long term I'd stick to 2 year deal max as if given a 3 year deal he could just take his qualifying offer and walk a year later as a UFA. Just want this resolved before the season starts hopefully before camp really.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
The clock is ticking and no news yet.

We are getting precipitously close to these 2 gentleman not being available for training camp.

Don't blame them though. If you are going to waste your life on a (possibly) bad team, might as well get that paper

Every day that passes, Benning loses a bit more ground in terms of leverage. The team needs Pettersson/Hughes a lot more than vice versa.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Can't wait for the holdouts and a shit start to the year.

April 2022 press conference: "Jim, just want to see where you stand after your team finished bottom 5 again and suffered the worst goals against in the NHL this season."

Jim Benning: "Well you know uhhh, we had COVID mess our boys season in 2021 and then the contract dispute derailed all plans for this year. Ummm, you know we have big visions for next year though."

Reactions: BrentSopelsHair

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019
Every day that passes, Benning loses a bit more ground in terms of leverage. The team needs Pettersson/Hughes a lot more than vice versa.

No he doesn't, each day closer to TC and opening day the players want to get back on the ice. They want to play, they live for the game.

Reactions: Strangelove

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019
April 2022 press conference: "Jim, just want to see where you stand after your team finished bottom 5 again and suffered the worst goals against in the NHL this season."

Jim Benning: "Well you know uhhh, we had COVID mess our boys season in 2021 and then the contract dispute derailed all plans for this year. Ummm, you know we have big visions for next year though."

And he delivered, the team has a huge change over and better today than it was last season.

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019

I think we all want this thread only about QH/EP, yes we can reference some points about JB but some posters have nothing to add except the same thing everyday.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
No he doesn't, each day closer to TC and opening day the players want to get back on the ice. They want to play, they live for the game.

That can be true and the players can also want fair compensation. That’s why they have agents. The Canucks are pretty screwed if they don’t have either of these players when the season starts. The players have all the leverage in this situation. Benning’s job depends on them signing before the season gets hampered by it.

Reactions: BrentSopelsHair

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He doesn't owe us shit.

He didn't accrue a season towards UFA status when he burnt that year, and doesn't have offer sheet rights as a result.

It's an interesting thing with NCAA draft picks that the burning-a-year thing is basically standard now and means that NCAA players are virtually always essentially on 2-year ELCs as opposed to Euro/CHL guys who you get for a full 3 years.

In Hughes' case this is going to cost the team like $7 million in cap space which is a bigger blow than the last year of Eriksson's contract and worth at least a #1 pick. Boeser cost nearly $5 million extra the same way.

If I'm looking at two comparable players with a #1 pick, it's something that has to be factored into the equation. It's a HUGE difference.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It's an interesting thing with NCAA draft picks that the burning-a-year thing is basically standard now and means that NCAA players are virtually always essentially on 2-year ELCs as opposed to Euro/CHL guys who you get for a full 3 years.

In Hughes' case this is going to cost the team like $7 million in cap space which is a bigger blow than the last year of Eriksson's contract and worth at least a #1 pick. Boeser cost nearly $5 million extra the same way.

If I'm looking at two comparable players with a #1 pick, it's something that has to be factored into the equation. It's a HUGE difference.

How do you arrive at $7M in cap space? Hughes' ELC cap hit with schedule A bonuses was over $1.775M. If he hit any of his schedule B bonuses (which I think he did) his cap hit is even higher.

Regardless, that's such a wrong way to look at it. Hughes being a 10.2(c) gives him less leverage not only because he has one less year of production to negotiate with but he is not eligible to be offersheeted.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
How do you arrive at $7M in cap space? Hughes' ELC cap hit with schedule A bonuses was over $1.775M. If he hit any of his schedule B bonuses (which I think he did) his cap hit is even higher.

Regardless, that's such a wrong way to look at it. Hughes being a 10.2(c) gives him less leverage not only because he has one less year of production to negotiate with but he is not eligible to be offersheeted.

Good call on the first part with bonuses factored in, but even if it's 5 million or whatever that's still a large amount of space lost for this coming year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad