The perspective of RNH

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Nuge has always been a good two-way player. He's long been the best two-way center on the Oilers. It took people looking past the "lulz Oilers" factor to actually see that.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Nuge has always been a good two-way player. He's long been the best two-way center on the Oilers. It took people looking past the "lulz Oilers" factor to actually see that.

Not that he's not still good regardless, but this doesn't say a whole lot.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Not that he's not still good regardless, but this doesn't say a whole lot.

Well he's been in the rumour mill for a while and pilloried for being on a garbage team. Before McDavid entered the picture, I don't see how any reasonable fan could have fathomed trading him. Even with McDavid, there's no one else on the team who can credibly handle tougher minutes.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Players like Nuge often get underrated. He's not a goal scorer, he doesn't dominate the high-lite reel, but he does all the small things that create goals. He gets assists for it sometimes, sometimes not, but hes the kind of player that often always has a hand in the goal scored when he's on the ice.

Might not be a hugely popular opinion, but he reminds me of a somewhat better version of Kyle Turris.

Good height, undersized weight wise. Can run a line, great vision, uses line mates as much, probably more then needed, underrated goal scoring and very responsible defensively.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I think of David Krejci, Patrice Bergeron, Ryan Kesler or Logan Couture type guys when I think of Elite #2C's.

He's not there yet. He might get there in the near future, but he's not there yet now.
Bergeron is a top 10 centre, Couture a top 20 centre. That's conservative too and you call them #2C?!?

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
I think he will be a very good #2 center behind McDavid. Its a good thing that he won't have the offensive responsibilities of a #1 guy, that way he can focus on his all around game.

Measles

Oct 30, 2015
Calgary
I think of David Krejci, Patrice Bergeron, Ryan Kesler or Logan Couture type guys when I think of Elite #2C's.

He's not there yet. He might get there in the near future, but he's not there yet now.

Bergeron a 2C....what?

thalegion

Apr 13, 2010
Edmonton
There's about 6-8 teams in the league who don't have a center of nuge's calibre so it's pretty neat he's our 2nd best on a sweetheart deal

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
He's a quality offensive 2C good for ~52 points a year if healthy but the faceoff numbers (45.6% last two seasons) and defensive numbers (+0.07 xGA60.Rel) are hardly indicative of the lead two-way player he is billed as.

You don't want him playing 20+ minutes a game as your #1C and you don't want him shutting down the opponent's top line as your #2C either. His best fit is a sheltered 2C on a scoring line.

You absolutely do want him playing 20+ minutes against the top lines. If you're using just last year as an example, then you can prove anything considering it was probably RNH's worst season in the NHL.

Edit: Aside from OvermanKingGainer (we all know how he rates Oiler players ;)), it's great to see posters give some love to Nuge.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Being healthy right now is the biggest difference for Nuge. He was drafted 1st overall for a reason, he's got smarts and skills.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Hasn't changed. He's good, a solid 2C anywhere or a bottom half 1C. One of the things I'd be looking forward too as an Oiler fan would be the trade value of guys like RNH shooting up once the team as a whole looks less of a mess. Lost Hall in an unequal trade but i bet you get more value for RNH if you chose to trade him in a couple years.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Players like Nuge often get underrated. He's not a goal scorer, he doesn't dominate the high-lite reel, but he does all the small things that create goals. He gets assists for it sometimes, sometimes not, but hes the kind of player that often always has a hand in the goal scored when he's on the ice.

Might not be a hugely popular opinion, but he reminds me of a somewhat better version of Kyle Turris.

Good height, undersized weight wise. Can run a line, great vision, uses line mates as much, probably more then needed, underrated goal scoring and very responsible defensively.

Actually that's not a bad comparison. He has the potential to do a lot more than he does offensively. He just focuses on defense first, so it hurts his numbers, and therefore his perception amongst those who don't watch him as often. There's a reason he scored at a 69 point pace as a rookie

TheGreat

Dec 5, 2012
Actually that's not a bad comparison. He has the potential to do a lot more than he does offensively. He just focuses on defense first, so it hurts his numbers, and therefore his perception amongst those who don't watch him as often. There's a reason he scored at a 69 point pace as a rookie

Pace doesn't mean nothing , Its a players real totals that matter , Kradi during short season was on pace to hit 80 points doesn't mean anything , Im not hating on RNH or Kradi , I just can't stand ppl using pace a reason

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
He is getting the credit he deserves and always has. He isnt better than other 1b centers like Stepan, Turris etc....
Everyone called him a 1b prior to this tournament and he still is. He is a good player and everyone knows that and he is recognised as one aswell. Edm fans wanting their players to get credit for everything is getting old.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's a good player, yeah probably a 1B, but a good 1B who can play 1A if you need him to. He has a good skill set ... good vision, solid skater, nice shot but doesn't use the shot enough.

I think his skinny build has held him back and the Oilers have over played him with a lack of center depth. Even last year I think McDavid/RNH/Draisaitl only got to play like 5 games together total because of injuries.

But now as he's getting on into his 20s, you naturally start to fill out and get stronger and I think that's happening for him.

This year hopefully the Oilers can run three centers so RNH can take less minutes, I think it would benefit his game.

I would say Gaudreau, McDavid, MacKinnon, Matthews, and RNH were the best forwards on Team North America for the tournament.

He's still pretty young, Turris is 4 years older than him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad