The perspective of RNH

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
Now that the World Cup for team na is over, has the perspective of the nuge shifted on these boards? I saw quite a few posters remarking on his stellar play, quite a drastic change from ppl suggesting he only made it onto this team because of chia and Mac when the team was announced.

How do other fans view nuge now? Do they think his selection was worthy?

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Im happy that Nuge had an amazing tourney. The boards have finally gotten to see why we are still high on him, despite his injures over the years. Hopefully he gets the respect he deserves, he was an integral part of the MacKinnon line with his defensive play, and ability to chip in offensively too.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I thought RNH had a fantastic series. Olympic ice seems to play to his strengths, but I'd like to see that translate over to the NHL (he's good, but not elite).

In short - No, I don't think my opinion of him has changed much.

Last edited:

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
I thought RNH had a fantastic series. Olympic ice seems to play to his strengths, but I'd like to see that translate over to the NHL (he's good, but not elite).

In short - No, I don't think my opinion of him has changed much.

It wasnt olympic ice

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He's got a better 2-way game then I had thought.

Hopefully he can stay healthy. My perception of him was always that he is fragile and probably wasn't physically ready to play in the NHL.

I think he can be kind of a 1B centre or an elite 2C. Luckily Edmonton has centre depth in spades right now, it bodes well for their future.

So basically not a huge change in opinion, just a better 2-way game then I had thought.

Last edited:

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
Yeah people have soured on him because his development path hasn't been as linear as many other first overall picks. I still remain very high on him, but I think the main thing holding him back from becoming a very good first line center is his durability. If he can find a way to stay healthy, I still think he will get there.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He is a good player. I've said previously he wasn't a top 30 center, likely in the 30-40 range about a year ago, however he definitely has the potential to be top 20. He is getting better and is obviously a very skilled and smart player. He's getting better defensively and stronger for sure.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
A month ago there were posters calling him a bust. What a difference actually watching a player play makes.....

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
It wasnt olympic ice

I must be confused because of this:

The current IIHF rules differ slightly from the rules used in the NHL. One difference between NHL and IIHF rules is rink dimensions: the NHL rink is narrower, measuring 61x26 metres (200x85 feet), instead of the international size of 61x30 metres (200x98.5 feet).

If the Leafs play there (Air Canada Centre), guess it's probably NHL regulation ice.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Now that the World Cup for team na is over, has the perspective of the nuge shifted on these boards? I saw quite a few posters remarking on his stellar play, quite a drastic change from ppl suggesting he only made it onto this team because of chia and Mac when the team was announced.

He's been very good and certainly belongs on the team. I did not think he was very good at all before this tournament.

Now I am just wondering why his point totals haven't been great. They've been good, sure, but never great, and I don't know why.

He has looked superb, but I am undecided on whether this level of play is sustainable or not.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
RNH has always been able to reach this kind of level. He just doesn't do it with any degree of consistency. It's what has prevented him from ever coming close to what he was able to do in his rookie year.

Perhaps seeing Hall shipped out will be a wake up call that no one is safe anymore on the Oilers and he'll realize he needs to actually play like he gives a damn every night. I'll believe it when I see it.

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
He's been very good and certainly belongs on the team. I did not think he was very good at all before this tournament.

Now I am just wondering why his point totals haven't been great. They've been good, sure, but never great, and I don't know why

He has looked superb, but I am undecided on whether this level of play is sustainable or not.

I've always liked to compare Nuge's game to that of Datsyuk's. Not saying he's as good but the style of play is similar. I've heard many people, including some experts, comment that if Datsyuk wasn't so concerned about his 2-way game and focused more on just the offensive side then he would score over a ppg every single year and maybe even put up a few 100 point seasons.

This is probably the best way I can answer your question regarding RNH. If he wasn't so concerned about his defensive obligation then his offensive numbers would probably be much better. The past few years Nuge was kinda the go to defensive guy on whatever line he's played on. Whether it be with Hall, Eberle, Pouliot or whoever. If you look at his stats, his best season offensively was probably his rookie season. It was his rookie year that Nuge had the least amount of defensive pressure on him out of all his years in the league. It's no coincidence this was the year he put up his best ppg.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
I have never been a fan but I think he'll end up being a solid #2C. People tend to overstate his career outlook and upside because he was drafted 1st overall.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
He's a quality offensive 2C good for ~52 points a year if healthy but the faceoff numbers (45.6% last two seasons) and defensive numbers (+0.07 xGA60.Rel) are hardly indicative of the lead two-way player he is billed as.

You don't want him playing 20+ minutes a game as your #1C and you don't want him shutting down the opponent's top line as your #2C either. His best fit is a sheltered 2C on a scoring line.

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
He's a quality offensive 2C good for ~52 points a year if healthy but the faceoff numbers (45.6% last two seasons) and defensive numbers (+0.07 xGA60.Rel) are hardly indicative of the lead two-way player he is billed as.

You don't want him playing 20+ minutes a game as your #1C and you don't want him shutting down the opponent's top line as your #2C either. His best fit is a sheltered 2C on a scoring line.

I know u watched games cuz Jonny, how can u say his 2 way game is overrated? Or that he needs sheltering?

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL
I like him, but I think fans misrepresent his two-way game. He's an above average offensive 2C who is defensively responsible, but not particularly game-breaking defensively. I can name a lot of 3-4Cs who have a better two-way game. That said, I'd be shocked to see him put up any less than 50 points for many seasons. He's nothing if not consistent.

kurtcobang

Feb 18, 2007

I think he looks like Peca to be honest. Obviously less physical though. A reliable player in all situations that can score and create chances off the rush.
I see a player who has realized how he needs to play to be successful. I'm pumped to watch him continue to develop and I think this will be his breakthrough season as a selke type center

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
The Oilers should run with 3 excellent lines and play all of McDavid, Draisati and Nugent-Hopkins as centres. That is crazy depth down the middle that should lead to 3 very dangerous lines like Pittsburgh had last season. And it takes pressure off of their 4th line to have to play big minutes.

I expect the Oilers to challenge for the top of the Western Conference as soon as this season. They have the potential to play with the some of the relentless speed and style of the N/A World Cup team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad