The Pearson Experiment

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
Here is hoping Jordan Nolan will be back in the lineup tomorrow night. Giving him game 3 off and seeing what Pearson could do was cool, but it is time to go back to what worked last year. The Kings need a banger out there, and Nolan is the guy.

As for Pearson, I see him being a reincarnation of Trevor Lewis, you know, taking a few years to find his game, but like Trevor, I think he will get there.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
And Jake Muzzin played a decent game yesterday, leaving out the delay of game penalty, but still I'd like to see him sit for a game, and give AMart another chance.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Meh, Pearson was fine in the little time he had and Nolan hasn't exactly been good. Nolan (as well as King) is the benefactor of our extreme lack of NHL quality depth on left wing, because they both have been poor. Whatever Sutter wants to do is fine, but I'm not about to be pining for Jordan Nolan.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
cool beans, i'm up for finding out what ds is going to do with today's lineup, i expect at least one change, maybe two,

Winger23

May 3, 2007
And Jake Muzzin played a decent game yesterday, leaving out the delay of game penalty, but still I'd like to see him sit for a game, and give AMart another chance.

Considering the sharks only scored in regulation on said penalty cost the kings the game. He wasn't even under much pressure.

I realize you have to take The bad with good but I would really prefer martinez over him.

I'm blaming the loss on the lack of our first line not producing than throwing the kid under the bus.

Albi

Nov 24, 2004
Claro - Switzerland
Considering the sharks only scored in regulation on said penalty cost the kings the game. He wasn't even under much pressure.

I realize you have to take The bad with good but I would really prefer martinez over him.

I'm blaming the loss on the lack of our first line not producing than throwing the kid under the bus.
this

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007

the end result is i need to give my Title's a better fit, instead of "the pearson experiment", i should of gone with "Changes to make for game 4",

throwing pearson under the bus wasn't meant to be the storyline, my bad, as like trevor, i think he is going to be a good one,

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Remember Pearson isn't a fourth line grinder nor is he a TLewis type. Peason is a top 6 LW who has good size and very good vision. He has a solid set of hands on him and can skate as well as most anyone else.

He got his feet wet and looked very good for a kid playing in his first game and in a playoff game to boot. He was in the right place at the right time more often then not and even made two very nice passes.

I see him being a perfect answer for our 2nd line LW need and maybe as early as sometime through next season.

I do agree that we need a banger for our bottom 6 but I would giv Andy Andy a few minutes if Nolan needs another game to get his wrist back to good. Andy would at least go out and beat someone if needed and can also make a great hit or two.

Pearson looked really good for his first game. He is going to be a good one.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether

And Ellerby left his man wide open to score. He completely blew his assignment. It comes down to which of the two you would rather have out there, Muzzin or Ellerby. At this point it is a no brainer to me. Muzzin has played a much better game.

I also think that A Mart being out of the line up has to be reflective of his continuing injury troubles. A Mart is head and shoulders better than either of the kids.

lakings41

Jul 2, 2004
Orange County, CA
The player to sit is the "unscratchable" Dwight King. He's been **** all year.
I'd much rather have Jordo in the line-up. Brings a lot more to the table.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
The player to sit is the "unscratchable" Dwight King. He's been **** all year.
I'd much rather have Jordo in the line-up. Brings a lot more to the table.

King has been largely ineffective for long stretches during these playoffs. We won 6 games in a row and then changed our line up. I would go back to the line up that won us 6 in a row. I agree that King hasnt done much but was need a win tomorrow night.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
King has been largely ineffective for long stretches during these playoffs. We won 6 games in a row and then changed our line up. I would go back to the line up that won us 6 in a row. I agree that King hasnt done much but was need a win tomorrow night.

Bottom line is production. Scoring just 1 goal isn't going to win many games and outside of game 2 the offense has struggled all playoffs.

I would argue quick was the reason for the streak more so than the previous lines, plus with stoll out its kind of hard not to shuffle it around a bit.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Bottom line is production. Scoring just 1 goal isn't going to win many games and outside of game 2 the offense has struggled all playoffs.

I would argue quick was the reason for the streak more so than the previous lines, plus with stoll out its kind of hard not to shuffle it around a bit.

Fair points for sure but there is also team chemistry to consider. While I agree that replacing King should be something we could do without upsetting the apple cart too much if at all sometimes for reasons that nobody can figure out a team just plays better with certain people on it.

DS simply has to put Martinez back in the line up. If we have to watch one more game where for reasons unknown to anyone but himself he decides that Ellerby and Muzzin should be paired together then he is going to lose allot support. Still think he is a great coach but I can't come close to figuring out why he would pair two rookies on D during the playoffs when they have only had at best average play together.

I would bench King and put Pearson in for him but I would also go back to the roster that had just won us 6 games in a row first.

To me ripping the bandaid off that is the Muzzin Ellerby pairing would be more important though.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Fair points for sure but there is also team chemistry to consider. While I agree that replacing King should be something we could do without upsetting@ the apple cart too much if at all sometimes for reasons that nobody can figure out a team just plays better with certain people on it.

DS simply has to put Martinez back in the line up. If we have to watch one more game where for reasons unknown to anyone but himself he decides that Ellerby and Muzzin should be paired together then he is going to lose allot support. Still think he is a great coach but I can't come close to figuring out why he would pair two rookies on D during the playoffs when they have only had at best average play together.

I would bench King and put Pearson in for him but I would also go back to the roster that had just won us 6 games in a row first.

To me ripping the bandaid off that is the Muzzin Ellerby pairing would be more important though.

I agree with everything 100 percent. Pearson for king makes a ton of sense and martinez should replace muzzin for a game so the D pairings are balanced with 1offensive and defensive on each.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I don't understand why you put a rookie on the 4th line with Clifford and Nolan already out. Kings finally got run physically by a very soft Sharks team especially with the Torres suspension and the trades of Clowe and Murray.

Nolan has def done something to upset Sutter this year...He has been scratched during the regular season a game or two and half of the playoffs.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't understand why you put a rookie on the 4th line with Clifford and Nolan already out. Kings finally got run physically by a very soft Sharks team especially with the Torres suspension and the trades of Clowe and Murray.

Nolan has def done something to upset Sutter this year...He has been scratched during the regular season a game or two and half of the playoffs.

The whole 4th line had gotten away from what made them successful in last year's playoffs, which is getting the puck deep and banging away then being responsible defensively. I can think of several times this year when Fraser tried to make a blue-line drop pass or Nolan tried to dangle his way into the zone resulting in turnovers. Heck, they aren't even getting speed in so they can forecheck. i would imagine the benchings, which aren't limited to Nolan, are due to that.

Edit: not to mention a string of stupid penalties, but Nolan definitely wasn't the only one doing that.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I sometimes forget that the 4th line from LAST YEAR really hasn't been in tact this year.

Going into the playoffs it was Nolan-Fraser-Clifford. Clifford got hammered from behind by Byron Bitz and Richardson came in making it Nolan-Fraser-Richardson. Then Gagne came back and it was Nolan-Fraser-Gagne.

Most of this year it was Nolan-Clifford-Fraser but then switched again to Nolan-Richardson-Clifford and lately Nolan-Fraser-Richardson or Pearson-Fraser-Richardson.

I don't know why Sutter just doesn't stick with Nolan-Fraser-Cliffy or Nolan-Fraser-Richards while Cliffy is hurt. I know the Sharks have quite a bit of speed and may expose the Nolan-Fraser-Clifford line so put Richardson in for either Nolan or Clifford...So you can have speed and size...

I don't understand Pearson. They refer to him as a power forward but he's not overly physical, he doesn't fight, didn't really see him check, he is barely 6'-0". He should be playing on the 2nd or 3rd line, not on a checking line if he is more a finisher who goes to the dirty areas. But the 4the line needs size and toughness and speed.

If Sutter is not happy with Nolan while Clifford is hurt, give Anthony Stewart a shot at least.

christhn

May 25, 2012
Based on today's practice report, Clifford may be back tomorrow; so I don't think you have to worry about Pearson for much longer.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Thank god. No offense to Pearson but I hear everyone raving about him being a power forward. Well, I really didn't see anything like that in Game 3. Granted, it was a little window. But I expect a power forward to be hitting, skating hard, going to the net and causing havoc. Then I looked up Pearson's stats and saw he has 2 career fights. Before anyone jumps on me, I know that doesn't make a player necessarily tough, but when I think of power forwards I think of Lucic, Simmonds, Clowe, Iginla, etc...Seems like that is not his game.

Captain Mittens*

Thank god. No offense to Pearson but I hear everyone raving about him being a power forward. Well, I really didn't see anything like that in Game 3. Granted, it was a little window. But I expect a power forward to be hitting, skating hard, going to the net and causing havoc. Then I looked up Pearson's stats and saw he has 2 career fights. Before anyone jumps on me, I know that doesn't make a player necessarily tough, but when I think of power forwards I think of Lucic, Simmonds, Clowe, Iginla, etc...Seems like that is not his game.
Pearson is an in front of the net guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad