The Paul Maurice Pitchfork Thread (MOD Warning Post #1)

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
Doesn't take into account shooter talent, shot type, goalie angles, pre-shot movement, screens, etc. Carolina's xga was inflated by unscreened point shots by dmen and they just didn't have the talent to execute on the chances they had.

That's not too take anything away from Bob who was amazing and conn smyth front runner, just that the team in front was great too and it's not just Bob.
They actually take into account some things, such as shot type.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I’d be interested to see how many deflections Carolina got. Not just goals, but overall, and compare it to their round 1 and 2.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
They actually take into account some things, such as shot type.

Yes technically they do, but its pretty basic. I think Evolving Hockey does it best. I should be more specific and say they don't take into account shot characterization? Things like how long the puck is held onto, if the shooter is left/right, if the puck is settled, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of all the analytics we have available now and think they are very useful, but there are limitations based on data collection and in the playoffs, a small sample size.

Reactions: zeroG

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
When they talk about the sweep at the end, sort of like Rod talked about the sweep, that it “wasn’t a sweep”, I dislike that approach.

It WAS a sweep - everyone knows it was. What they should be saying is “this was the most competitive sweep I remember”, and then I could agree.

I also don’t agree with them when they say it not only wasn’t really a sweep (it was), but that it could have gone either way and CAR could have swept the Panthers, that’s how close it was. No. Not that far. Game 1 broke CAR. Game 1 loss would not have broken Panthers, because everyone was still expecting them to lose.

It was a sweep. It was deserved and earned. The end.
I agree with them, it wasn't a sweep. The Panthers won 5 games out of 4 against Carolina, it was a sweep and a tuck.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
This was really my biggest takeaway out of everything.

Maybe the reason Bob struggled under Q/Bruno was because he had a hard time adjusting coming from a Torts team. It's 100% a fair point and not the first time I've heard it.

he came from a team built around structure to a team that did not understand or care about defending.

now that we've got 5 guys playing defense, the shots are a little more predictable and he can just play, trusting his reads.

didn't think about this but I heard one of the analysts (maybe hank?) say that there's a bit of a virtuous cycle when you're defending well and the goalie is dialed in - the D can better anticipate where rebounds are going to go which helps them prevent second-chance opportunities.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
he came from a team built around structure to a team that did not understand or care about defending.

now that we've got 5 guys playing defense, the shots are a little more predictable and he can just play, trusting his reads.

didn't think about this but I heard one of the analysts (maybe hank?) say that there's a bit of a virtuous cycle when you're defending well and the goalie is dialed in - the D can better anticipate where rebounds are going to go which helps them prevent second-chance opportunities.

The scout I heard said that the reason Bob wouldn't be a good fit was because Bob was so explosive that he will have a tendency to over slide on passes and we have seen this.

With such a wide open game he was getting exposed so he struggled.

I really think the defense being emphasized has helped him succeed tremendously.

Like I said, even under Q he struggled and may have continued to struggle due to the pace we played

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
As one of his biggest critics I have to admit the guy has much grown on me. I took him for arrogant and cocky. I still question some of his lineup decisions.

The fact though that he gives all the credit for the success to the players changed my perception of him. Glad we have him. He has shown that he knows when to be hard on the players and when to just let go of the reins and let the players take care of things themselves.

Plus his press conferences are always very entertaining.

Reactions: harv33173

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
As one of his biggest critics I have to admit the guy has much grown on me. I took him for arrogant and cocky. I still question some of his lineup decisions.

The fact though that he gives all the credit for the success to the players changed my perception of him. Glad we have him. He has shown that he knows when to be hard on the players and when to just let go of the reins and let the players take care of things themselves.

Plus his press conferences are always very entertaining.
All the good aspects that you mention are what I was expecting/hoping going into the season. It took a while before I turned against him, but the results were not there, and the excuses ringed hollow. But they DID eventually get their game and I got to the point that I was accepting the long learning curve, wasn’t too happy with Mo or the team, but at least they were playing better and I thought, okay one more season and let’s see how they do next year. I’m happy and surprised that it all came together earlier than next season…

Reactions: austropanther

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
All the good aspects that you mention are what I was expecting/hoping going into the season. It took a while before I turned against him, but the results were not there, and the excuses ringed hollow. But they DID eventually get their game and I got to the point that I was accepting the long learning curve, wasn’t too happy with Mo or the team, but at least they were playing better and I thought, okay one more season and let’s see how they do next year. I’m happy and surprised that it all came together earlier than next season…

there's no such thing as instant results. you always have to consider the circumstances. in our case, with a lot of turnover and a thin roster, you had to expect the type of season we had. no judgments should have been made.

interestingly (to me), I heard Maurice say something the other day that I hadn't heard before. he said part-way through the season, they altered their stretch for a second time, pulling in the reins some more because they weren't seeing enough of a change in style.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
there's no such thing as instant results. you always have to consider the circumstances. in our case, with a lot of turnover and a thin roster, you had to expect the type of season we had. no judgments should have been made.

interestingly (to me), I heard Maurice say something the other day that I hadn't heard before. he said part-way through the season, they altered their stretch for a second time, pulling in the reins some more because they weren't seeing enough of a change in style.
I get that but I gave them until close to the all star break before I didn’t think the new methods were yielding results. I think I can claim that I wasn’t expecting instant results.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
I get that but I gave them until close to the all star break before I didn’t think the new methods were yielding results. I think I can claim that I wasn’t expecting instant results.

there are/were mitigating circumstances, even at that time. we knew the lineup was thin and had some holes. we had injuries. I think by then Maurice had already mentioned that he and zito were planning on a challenging year.

it's just not reasonable to expect magic from a coach (or anyone).

some of us said this at the time.

Reactions: Panteras

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
there are/were mitigating circumstances, even at that time. we knew the lineup was thin and had some holes. we had injuries. I think by then Maurice had already mentioned that he and zito were planning on a challenging year.

it's just not reasonable to expect magic from a coach (or anyone).

some of us said this at the time.
Yeah but still, I’ll say that many of those of us complaining weren’t exactly eager to turn against Mo - the results were just not only subpar but also super inconsistent. Yet, even with some injuries, the team had a chance on paper. And also, they had young fast hungry guys in minors who didn’t really get a chance.

Even now, when Mo can no longer be criticized due to the team’s incredible success, if they had some young guys tested and ready to step in when Luo or Gudas (as it looked for a minute) become unavailable… the team might be even better. It would be nice to have Carlsson or Deni or Hepo more ready to jump in and not just Dalpe.

So in hindsight, criticism of Mo earlier in the season now looks totally wrong and misplaced… and I’m ready to admit I was wrong… but I don’t think the criticism was entirely unreasonable either.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Gotta put this here: why is he playing Fitzgerald who has been a healthy scratch throughout almost the whole season? Yet Carlsson who played great in the AHL just sits... I get that PoMo explicitly wants righties as RD. But if Fitzgerald is the only option? Come on...

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
Gotta put this here: why is he playing Fitzgerald who has been a healthy scratch throughout almost the whole season? Yet Carlsson who played great in the AHL just sits... I get that PoMo explicitly wants righties as RD. But if Fitzgerald is the only option? Come on...
i don't understand this either. fitzgerald isn't it.... his stubborn ways work many times... but in this case... i just dont get it.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
After hearing the postgames from Maurice and Ekblad and Reinhart... there's no doubt in my mind Maurice is the right guy to lead us to a Cup. You can tell this experience was transformative for a lot of these players when they talk as much about how they grew and evolved together as men as they did hockey players.

And it goes in the opposite direction too. Maurice credits the team for sparking his love of coaching again and you can tell he's been part of some shitty locker rooms in the past. We have ourselves a true team here and I think this season is going to lay the foundation for the culture we've all been looking for from this franchise for a long time.

Catscountry40

Feb 4, 2021
Here is the thing with Maurice.

If you have to defuse a bomb would you want the guy who have been blown up 25 times or the guy who has defused the bomb 3 times?

It is pretty easy...bring Back Q

Catscountry40

Feb 4, 2021

Maruice has 25 years of failed results. He now owns one of the worst finals preferences ever. Guy is just a through and through loser.

After hearing the postgames from Maurice and Ekblad and Reinhart... there's no doubt in my mind Maurice is the right guy to lead us to a Cup. You can tell this experience was transformative for a lot of these players when they talk as much about how they grew and evolved together as men as they did hockey players.

And it goes in the opposite direction too. Maurice credits the team for sparking his love of coaching again and you can tell he's been part of some shitty locker rooms in the past. We have ourselves a true team here and I think this season is going to lay the foundation for the culture we've all been looking for from this franchise for a long time.
What has Maruice shown in 25 years that he can win a cup? He went 23 years between appearances.

Reactions: Team Bring It

Last Rat Standing

May 26, 2016
South Florida
Maruice has 25 years of failed results. He now owns one of the worst finals preferences ever. Guy is just a through and through loser.

What has Maruice shown in 25 years that he can win a cup? He went 23 years between appearances.

That's such a stupid argument. 31 coaches every year go cup-less. Are they failures too? The fact that we ragged on him all year ( I did as well) and he still coached this team to a finals berth is nothing to sneeze at. Q had two years here and didnt bring a cup with arguably a much better roster, especially in shortened season. Gallant couldnt get it done in 2016 with a great balance of youth and veteran leadership. Not to mention the gauntlet of other failed coaches here over the past 30 years. Even winning a cup doesn't grant you immunity. This league and the other sports are a "What have you done for me lately?" And Maurice did what he was brought here to do and went against a team that's stacked from top to bottom and that was over the cap. Similar to 96, they just were beat by a better team.

Next season will prove what he and the rest of the team are made of. Whether this run was a fluke or not still remains to be seen. Q ain't coming back. There is too much drama and skeletons from the past.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL

Coaches don't make it to the finals by themselves man. Otherwise, why don't we see the same 2 "best" coaches every season duking it out? Did Sutter forget what to do this year? Did Cooper? No. It's coaches. It's roster. It's locker-room chemistry. It's luck (puck luck and injury luck). There are so many more factors than just who the coach is.

What Maurice showed me THIS season (who gives a shit about the last 25 seasons) is that he can get the most out of what he's given. He's not the reason we lost. But he's a big reason this roster was able to get as far as it did.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Coaches don't make it to the finals by themselves man. Otherwise, why don't we see the same 2 "best" coaches every season duking it out? Did Sutter forget what to do this year? Did Cooper? No. It's coaches. It's roster. It's locker-room chemistry. It's luck (puck luck and injury luck). There are so many more factors than just who the coach is.

What Maurice showed me THIS season (who gives a shit about the last 25 seasons) is that he can get the most out of what he's given. He's not the reason we lost. But he's a big reason this roster was able to get as far as it did.
I agree, and I admit I didn't give Mo enough benefit of doubt. Zero was right that Mo had the right ideas and process and he knew the locker room well. Although, it’s crazy, but if we’d either not made the playoffs or had lost to Marchand’s breakaway end of game 5, there’s be a lot more Mo blame going around. Now we’ve seen what he can do, and it’s looking good. Zito was right to hire him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad