The Paul Coffey, Mark Recchi, and Rick Tocchet Three-Team Trade

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

The Penguins would go on to win another Cup in '92 and then the upset happens in '93 at the hands of the Islanders.

The Kings wouldn't do much with Paul Coffey and would trade him a year later for a paltry package of players. They reached the Stanley Cup Finals in spite of the trade, and Gretzky stated the Kings would have won the Cup had they kept Coffey. Gretzky and Coffey wouldn't play much together in LA either as Gretzky missed most of the 1992-93 season due to a herniated disc.

The Flyers would get a highly productive Mark Recchi, and they would also receive a ton of back from Montreal when they dealt Recchi for John LeClair and Eric Desjardins. Four years later, they would reacquire Recchi from Montreal for only Dainius Zubrus and a 2nd.

The next closest three-team trade I could think of that had a similar impact was the Claude Lemieux, Wendel Clark, Steve Thomas trade where the Avs got Lemieux, the Islanders received Clark, and the Devils landed Thomas.

Has there been a three-team trade involving any bigger than this one?

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I remember that trade, Recchi was such a good player, got to wonder if the Penguins three peat in 1993 with Recchi on the team.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Granted, Tocchet had the benefit of playing with Mario Lemieux and Kevin Stevens, but the numbers are pretty close.

Upon joining the Penguins, Tocchet scored 14 goals and 30 points in 19 games. He'd add 19 points in 14 games during the Pens' Cup run in '92. The following season Tocchet would score 48 goals and 109 points in 80 games, and also rack up 252 penalty minutes.

Recchi scored 27 points in 22 games with Philly in '92, then he exploded offensively with his career best season in 92-93, scoring 53 goals and 123 points, and then follow that up with 40 goals and 107 points in 93-94, but those Flyers teams were awful and failed to qualify in the post season, and so Recchi found himself in Montreal shortly after the start of the 94-95 season.

No doubt Recchi was a phenomenal player, but I feel like with the talent the Penguins had, they had the flexibility to move some skill for some toughness that can beat your face in and also put the puck in the net.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I can understand the Recchi for Tocchet trade. They needed the toughness and I don't think the addition of Recchi over Tocchet does anything in 1993 although Recchi was quite the beast in the postseason in 1991. My question is why get rid of Coffey at all? Why not just pick up Tocchet? Coffey is the kind of difference maker you could use in 1993 and the Pens still win with him in 1992.

Reactions: Boxscore

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I can understand the Recchi for Tocchet trade. They needed the toughness and I don't think the addition of Recchi over Tocchet does anything in 1993 although Recchi was quite the beast in the postseason in 1991. My question is why get rid of Coffey at all? Why not just pick up Tocchet? Coffey is the kind of difference maker you could use in 1993 and the Pens still win with him in 1992.
That's the story of Coffey's career. He's the best player ever to be traded four times in his prime.

Of course, the teams he was traded from went on to win Cups (or make the Finals in LA's situation) but it's debatable they'd still get there with Coffey on the roster.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Flyers GM Russ Farwell had long coveted Recchi. The previous off season, Recchi came close to signing an offer sheet with the Flyers as a RFA before re-upping with Pittsburgh. Even though Pittsburgh was a division rival, Farwell didn't hesitate to pull the trigger on the Flyers end as they were far out of a playoff spot. The unhappy Tocchet was thrilled to be going to the defending Cup champs, while Recchi, surprisingly, was happy to be going to Philadelphia.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

Because they needed the assests from the Kings trade to get Tocchet. Also Coffey is a weird case. Every team he was traded from won or reached the finals when he was gone. And when he was traded to a team reaching the finals the team lost to the team he was traded from. :laugh:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Conversely though, Coffey's teams always were better after he got there.

When he joined Edmonton, they sucked, and a year later they were good. When he joined the Pens, they made the playoffs for the first time in seven years his first full year, and they were Cup champs by the time he left. The Kings had a better record with him in 1992-93 than without. The Wings were on the rise by early '93, but weren't there yet; with Coffey they made the Finals and then had the best NHL regular season to date since 1977. Even Philly in 1996-97 had a great year and then made the Finals for the first time in ten years.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Im not saying that Edmonton didnt become a better team after Coffey joined but that first season was hardly Coffey lifting them. More like Kurri and Anderson and in the playoffs Moog and Coffey.

Pens obviously became better since it was an AHL team with Lemieux and up and coming kids.

Kings didnt immidietly improve and there were some nervous voices after Coffey first ten games. They were silenced in the playoffs though. :laugh:

Wings, you stepped in right away and were and offensive force. Sadly this is also the time when he started losing a step and got caught up ice too much. Then we have his performance in the 96 playoffs which pretty much was a nail in the coffin for his Red Wings career.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Wings, you stepped in right away and were and offensive force. Sadly this is also the time when he started losing a step and got caught up ice too much. Then we have his performance in the 96 playoffs which pretty much was a nail in the coffin for his Red Wings career.
The Wings' era is hardly the time when Coffey lost a step (he won the Norris) and hardly the time he got caught up ice too much. If anything, his Detroit period was the most conservative hockey he'd ever played in the NHL (or at least since 1981 or 1982).

I've also never understood the line of "they got rid of him because of the '96 playoffs". I get that Bowman (correctly) reasoned that they could afford to lose him since they had already Lidstrom and Fetisov contributing offense, and in the end it worked out well for them. But I don't think Coffey was poor in the '96 playoffs (admittedly I didn't see all the games). He was third in team scoring and was a net positive on the ice. What did he do that was so bad?

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
The Wings' era is hardly the time when Coffey lost a step (he won the Norris) and hardly the time he got caught up ice too much. If anything, his Detroit period was the most conservative hockey he'd ever played in the NHL (or at least since 1981 or 1982).

I've also never understood the line of "they got rid of him because of the '96 playoffs". I get that Bowman (correctly) reasoned that they could afford to lose him since they had already Lidstrom and Fetisov contributing offense, and in the end it worked out well for them. But I don't think Coffey was poor in the '96 playoffs (admittedly I didn't see all the games). He was third in team scoring and was a net positive on the ice. What did he do that was so bad?

Regarding 96. He played very poorly on defense. He was constantly bailed out by his teammates. He wasnt garbage, thats not what Im saying. But he was well below average and phoned it in at times. He was 3rd on the team in points iirc but he most of them were PPP and he was a minus player. Its too bad they didnt track the stats they track today because Im sure he led the team in turnovers as well. Unnecessary penalties though in fairness iirc he did play more diciplined in the Avs series.

And yes, he lost a step in Detroit. He won the Norris in 95. Short season and it wasnt fully apparent yet. During the 96 season you really started to notice. Especially if you rewatch the games.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Flyers GM Russ Farwell had long coveted Recchi. The previous off season, Recchi came close to signing an offer sheet with the Flyers as a RFA before re-upping with Pittsburgh. Even though Pittsburgh was a division rival, Farwell didn't hesitate to pull the trigger on the Flyers end as they were far out of a playoff spot. The unhappy Tocchet was thrilled to be going to the defending Cup champs, while Recchi, surprisingly, was happy to be going to Philadelphia.

i don’t think he (or his ex-teammates) were so happy initially—

With the team we had in Pittsburgh, I figured we easily could repeat with a second straight Stanley Cup. I played 58 games for Pittsburgh in 1991-92 and was having another good year. I had 33 goals and 37 assists for 70 points, but everything changed for me on February 19, 1992.

That's when the Penguins traded me and Brian Benning [and Los Angeles' 1st-round choice in the 1993 Entry Draft, Jason Bowen] to the Flyers for Rick Tocchet, Kjell Sameulsson, Ken Wregget, and the 3rd round draft choice [Dave Roche] in the 1994 NHL Entry Draft.

Was I upset? Of course, I was. Leaving the Penguins was tough. My girlfriend - who is now my wife - was from Pittsburgh and I had some good friends in Pennsylvania. Plus, it was tough watching the Penguins going to the finals again, knowing that I could have been on that team. On the other hand, I was happy for guys like Tocchet, Wregget, and Kjell. It was nice to see them win the Cup.

IT'S A [neutral zone] TRAP!: "Hockey Stars Speak: Mark Recchi" (1996)

Pittsburgh`s Kevin Stevens thinks last week`s big three-way trade between the Penguins, Philadelphia and Los Angeles proves once again that players are victims and not the greedy vultures some people insist they are.

''Mark Recchi turned down more money from Philadelphia at the beginning of the year, figuring he was giving something back to the Penguins,'' he said. ''And this happened.''

Recchi was the best player of the seven in the exchange, winding up with the Flyers, whose free-agent offer he had turned down to remain with the defending NHL champions in Pittsburgh.

''He was destroyed,'' Penguins defenseman Ulf Samuellson said of Recchi`s reaction to being traded.

Defenseman Paul Coffey went from Pittsburgh to Los Angeles, where owner Bruce McNall welcomes high-salaried players. Moving to Philadelphia with Recchi were Kings defenseman Brian Benning and L.A.`s first-round pick this June. The Penguins got defensemen Jeff Chychrun from the Kings as well as right wing Rick Tocchet, defenseman Kjell Samuellson, goalie Ken Wregget and a draft choice from the Flyers.

''Recchi is one of a kind,'' Stevens said. ''He`s going to score 40, 50 goals for the next 10 to 12 years. To give up a guy of that caliber. . . . I just don`t understand sometimes how they do it.

''We definitely needed some help somewhere. But I don`t know if this is the way we should have gone about it. It`s funny when people say athletes look out for themselves, that all they want is money. It just goes to show you that you`ve got to watch out for yourself.''

PENGUINS` STEVENS RIPS TRADE

Reactions: mrhockey193195

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
dr. recchi said:
I played 58 games for Pittsburgh in 1991-92 and was having another good year. I had 33 goals and 37 assists for 70 points, but everything changed for me on February 19, 1992.

i love that we now have easy access to all this info. as of feb 18, recchi had 68 points, good for 15th in the league, immediately behind housley (12), andreychuk (13-t), and turgeon (ha), tied with fedorov and damphousse, and immediately ahead of gilmour (18), fellow pittsburgh RW joey mullen (19), and randy burridge (wtf?). coffey, lafontaine, and trevor linden were tied for 21st with 62 points.

so yes it's accurate to say recchi was having a good year, but it was sandwiched between finishing 4th in scoring in '91, his 10th place 123 point season in '93, and finishing 5th in 1994. it certainly was an off year for him, by peak scoring recchi standards.

at the same time, the day before the trade, kevin stevens was leading the league with 89 points in 57 games, directly ahead of gretzky (three fewer games) and hull who were tied for 2nd, and mario (13 fewer games) and yzerman tied for 4th. and what we know from the stats we now have is that recchi and stevens had basically identical PP production (recchi actually had four more PP points). but stevens almost doubled recchi's ES scoring, 59 to 33.

what happened? according to the game logs, recchi played mostly with francis and errey at ES. the top line was stevens and mario with jagr or mullen (who at the time of the trade was outscoring recchi at ES by 13 points). sophomore jagr was tied for 54th in scoring, with 51 points in 48 games, but basically got zero PP time (six PP points), while also destroying recchi at ES (45 to 33).

it was also by far the most slanted PP:ES ratio of recchi's 20s, with his PP production exactly equalling his ES scoring one-to-one and at the end of the year he was tied with macinnis and lafontaine for 5th in PP points, and tied with mike ridley, cliff ronning, and dale hunter for 37th at ES. but look at what he was working with at ES: at the time of the trade, francis was tied for 130th in scoring with kelly buchberger, brian benning, bruce driver, brian mullen, desjardins, paul ranheim, randy wood, and mikael andersson. to be fair, francis had missed roughly 10 games. still, he was only one point ahead of rookie bure, who had played even fewer games and hadn't yet had the incredible scoring run that helped him steal the calder from amonte and lidstrom. and of course, bob errey is bob errey, a man so impervious to offense that he couldn't score 60 points on a line with mario.

some observations:

- recchi only marginally increased his scoring rate after the trade, 1.21 to 1.23. again, it was his worst season in a four season stretch. but it was also the only postseason all-star nod of his career, finishing a clear second behind hull (who got 100% of the first place votes) and ahead of mullen in third, linden in fourth, and gartner in fifth. this maybe tells us that we should take postseason all-stars with a grain of salt; this was basically a default win, with fleury having an off-year, mogilny and jagr emerging but not there yet, bure being a rookie, and selanne a year away. meanwhile he was 5th in AST voting in '91, and 4th in '93 and '94.

- bowman had recchi primarily on a pretty two-way line, with francis and errey. so 1. why did bowman have recchi on practically a checking line? and 2. what did he expect?

- man, ron francis in pittsburgh before he hooked up with jagr... 17 points in 24 games in the '91 cup run (literally half the points recchi had), and then 54 points in 70 games in the '92 regular season. then he puts up 100 points in '93 and the rest is history. but i think, on top of becoming jagr's full-time center, to both players' mutual benefit, after adam graves injured mario in the rangers series, another factor for francis coming back from the statistical dead is that he inherited recchi's role on the PP after the trade.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Because they needed the assests from the Kings trade to get Tocchet. Also Coffey is a weird case. Every team he was traded from won or reached the finals when he was gone. And when he was traded to a team reaching the finals the team lost to the team he was traded from. :laugh:

They also won when he was there too. Edmonton, Pittsburgh won Cups. The Wings led the NHL in points in 1995 and 1996 and made the final in 1995. The Kings got where they got in 1993 because of Gretzky. None of who they got for Coffey were the reasons they made the final. It was a bizarre trade and just another example of the dysfunctional management during the Kings Gretzky era. His teams never missed the playoffs outside of the 1988 Penguins. This isn't an accident. 9 out of the top 10 highest point totals in a single season had Paul Coffey as their teammate.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
They also won when he was there too. Edmonton, Pittsburgh won Cups. The Wings led the NHL in points in 1995 and 1996 and made the final in 1995. The Kings got where they got in 1993 because of Gretzky. None of who they got for Coffey were the reasons they made the final. It was a bizarre trade and just another example of the dysfunctional management during the Kings Gretzky era. His teams never missed the playoffs outside of the 1988 Penguins. This isn't an accident. 9 out of the top 10 highest point totals in a single season had Paul Coffey as their teammate.

The last bit was more a of a "tounge in cheek"-joke. I know full well Coffey won cups.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I think sometimes the guy gets misplaced blame. That Wings team was on the rise either way.

Sometimes. I mean. He lost a step in Detroit starting somewhere in 95. And of course he seemed to be despised by Bowman. And people tend to side with the most successful coach in NHL history. Fair or not.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
And of course he seemed to be despised by Bowman.
I don't think he was despised by Bowman any more than he was despised by Sather. Coffey was just a slightly "un-coachable" player. He played a rover style and didn't always pick his spots well. His upside was superhuman -- like, top-10 of all-time players elite level -- and his downside was sometimes precarious.

Also, Bowman rated Coffey the 68th greatest Canadian player of all time, ahead of people like Ron Francis, Larry Murphy, and Brendan Shanahan.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I don't think he was despised by Bowman any more than he was despised by Sather. Coffey was just a slightly "un-coachable" player. He played a rover style and didn't always pick his spots well. His upside was superhuman -- like, top-10 of all-time players elite level -- and his downside was sometimes precarious.

Also, Bowman rated Coffey the 68th greatest Canadian player of all time, ahead of people like Ron Francis, Larry Murphy, and Brendan Shanahan.

"Seemed despised".

Also that list was Bowman naming players. Not an actual ranking you can take to hart. Or do you actually believe that Bowman sat down and started writing up all the names of players he could think of and the ranked them like the top-100 project?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Sometimes. I mean. He lost a step in Detroit starting somewhere in 95. And of course he seemed to be despised by Bowman. And people tend to side with the most successful coach in NHL history. Fair or not.

Coffey was a bit of a free spirit if anything. Sort of went to the beat of his own drum. Right up until, I would say, the 1996 World Cup he was an elite defenseman. He wins the Norris rather easily in 1995 and then still finishes 5th in 1996. That trade to Hartford really deflated him and my guess is that he lost a lot of his drive when that happened since he had accomplished all he had wanted to. My guess is he didn't want to hang around a mediocre team and rebuild. Plus after he was traded to Philly didn't he collide with Leclair or something in practice? I think that slowed him down. So Coffey at the 1996 World Cup was probably the last time we saw "Coffey".

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Coffey was a bit of a free spirit if anything. Sort of went to the beat of his own drum. Right up until, I would say, the 1996 World Cup he was an elite defenseman. He wins the Norris rather easily in 1995 and then still finishes 5th in 1996. That trade to Hartford really deflated him and my guess is that he lost a lot of his drive when that happened since he had accomplished all he had wanted to. My guess is he didn't want to hang around a mediocre team and rebuild. Plus after he was traded to Philly didn't he collide with Leclair or something in practice? I think that slowed him down. So Coffey at the 1996 World Cup was probably the last time we saw "Coffey".

That could probably be right. I think he started to regress already during the 94-95 season. But let me clarify. What he lost was not his skill. But his ability to cover for his own mistakes with his speed. And he really never adjusted to that. As well as I dont think he ever really bought into Bowmans system. He mightve tried but I think he was too set in his ways and Bowmans system simply conflicted with Coffeys natural instincts. Dog new tricks and all that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad