The Paul Coffey, Mark Recchi, and Rick Tocchet Three-Team Trade

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Plus after he was traded to Philly didn't he collide with Leclair or something in practice? I think that slowed him down. So Coffey at the 1996 World Cup was probably the last time we saw "Coffey".

Coffey collided with Lindros in a game at Vancouver and sustained a concussion. I've been trying to find the clip on youtube to no avail. From what I recall, Coffey was knocked cold from the collision and lay motionless on the ice for a few minutes. In retrospect, I believe that concussion accelerated Coffey's decline.

CrosbyIsKing87

May 3, 2017
I remember that season and trade very well. Coffey was not a favorite of Bowman’s. Scotty didn’t care for his play-by-the-seat-of-your-pants style. It was fun for the fans and created offense but he gave up a lot too. He fell so far out of favor with Bowman that he actually ended up playing wing one game. Bowman wanted a tougher, tighter defense and Coffey only knew how to play one way so the writing was on the wall. Recchi being dealt was a real surprise. I think that happened because Tocchet became available and Philly insisted on Recchi. The Pens were really struggling at the time (actually out of the playoffs when the trade happened I think) so something had to happen. Can’t argue with the results but I was very bummed to see both players leave.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Recchi was a great Flyer and Tocchet gave the Pens a dimension they needed. Win-win trade.

The Recchi/Tocchet trade made sense (even though Recchi had 34 playoff points in 1991), but the Coffey/Kings portion made no sense.

Like, what exactly did PIT get back from LA?

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
I remember that trade, Recchi was such a good player, got to wonder if the Penguins three peat in 1993 with Recchi on the team.

Better question is if Barrasso stops that shot from Idaho, along with Stevens' face not horrifically cracking like an egg in game 7 do they 3 peat? Also thanks for reminds me about that. I was like 8 when that game happend and was legit scared to death Kevin Stevens died, was my favorite player behind Mario on that team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad