TV: The Outsider (HBO)

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
The novel was a return to form for King after some non-horror releases. Glad to see people are enjoying the adaptation. I'll have to check out what's already available this weekend when I've got a bit more free time.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I was rather frustrated at first. My take was sort of "great, some Stephen King shit and this guy (Bateman character) is going to get shafted." Got into it after the second episode though and now I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The novel was a return to form for King after some non-horror releases. Glad to see people are enjoying the adaptation. I'll have to check out what's already available this weekend when I've got a bit more free time.
I liked the book until the half way point, then the whole...without giving away a spoiler, let's just say I think the 2nd half is f***ing lazy for King. I don't get why this book is hailed to a "back to form" for King, but I hate it. Snap reactions and the shock of it is obvious to me, but then it's like...really dude?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Series is rapidly changing from a crime series into a Supernatural horror one. Not really surprising considering it’s a King adaptation. Not necessarily a bad thing, either. I just got kinda excited about it being so True Detective-esque in episode 1.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Series is rapidly changing from a crime series into a Supernatural horror one. Not really surprising considering it’s a King adaptation. Not necessarily a bad thing, either. I just got kinda excited about it being so True Detective-esque in episode 1.

I'm still torn. Not sure it's a good thing either. For some reason it's a series I just wish they'd drop all the episodes at once with.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I've loved all the investigative stuff so far, not so thrilled about the supernatural horror stuff that is happening more. We'll see where this goes, but if it shifts heavily into supernatural horror I don't think I'll like it as much.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Not as into the supernatural stuff, but part of that is how I think it might end. That said tonight's episode (6) was fantastic.

Reactions: Tuggy

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I’m loving this show. Surprised people aren’t talking about it more.

As a King adaptation, I went into it under the assumption it will have supernatural elements. I can understand those who are put off by that and wanted more of a True Detective thing... but it’s working really well for me.

It’s also interesting that they showed us, the viewer, what’s really happening very early. And now it’s about the characters slowly coming to accept what’s right before them. Some accept it early, while others are still hell bent on trying to find ways to prove it practically.

fun stuff

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Episode 6 seemed to nicely clean up the mess from the previous two episodes. Namely doing away with the history of who killed who and then touched who and their families died too, and so on. Sticking with the present makes for a better show here.

The story seems to be hamstrung by plot device of people being unable to believe anything past their noses. I mean, if there is this much conflicting DNA, video and eyewitness evidence, surely people could be more open to non-natural explanations. Their stubborn refusal feels like cheap plot writing.

I love the character of alcoholic Jack the cop. Which means he’s likely to die next episode.

One other quibble - I’m not sure what the point of having black actresses with giant wigs is doing for shows, except encouraging cheap gawking. I’ve seen it in so many shows lately, it just seems to distract from the performance, imo. A character like Holly doesn’t seem like she’d be spending a lot of time in a salon getting these perfect braids, and she sure as hell doesn’t have friends to braid her hair.

Reactions: Tuggy

Hypernova

Apr 20, 2007
Boston, MA
www.worldwrasslinpodcast.com
Episode 6 seemed to nicely clean up the mess from the previous two episodes. Namely doing away with the history of who killed who and then touched who and their families died too, and so on. Sticking with the present makes for a better show here.

The story seems to be hamstrung by plot device of people being unable to believe anything past their noses. I mean, if there is this much conflicting DNA, video and eyewitness evidence, surely people could be more open to non-natural explanations. Their stubborn refusal feels like cheap plot writing.

I love the character of alcoholic Jack the cop. Which means he’s likely to die next episode.

One other quibble - I’m not sure what the point of having black actresses with giant wigs is doing for shows, except encouraging cheap gawking. I’ve seen it in so many shows lately, it just seems to distract from the performance, imo. A character like Holly doesn’t seem like she’d be spending a lot of time in a salon getting these perfect braids, and she sure as hell doesn’t have friends to braid her hair.

There's always that one guy who doesn't believe in every show. For this one, it's the lawyer with Ralph looking like guy who mocks her at first but then will eventually accept it.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Such great stuff.

The casting should win awards. There are about 10 GREAT character actors with great roles in this.

Last edited:

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
Episode 7 seemed to be a turning point where reality has changed for the characters involved.

still watching and curious to see what happens next

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

r.

Yeah, I mean they were easily dismissing video evidence early on and proceeding with the case. How is that even possible? It's taking far too long for the characters to get on board.

This last episode was kind of boring and the show is on a rather predictable path.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
General rant with some spoliers of episode 7 incoming... I hate when the picture captioning an episode leaks information...

HBO Go's pic for this recent episode has a picture of a meeting between Holly and the other major players which hadn't occurred yet. Episode 6 leaves off with Jack and Holly on the car ride and you're wondering how it's going to turn out. The picture of the meeting that hadn't happened yet basically gives away that Holly's going to survive the car ride.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
This is a damn good show. 1st it had me hooked as a detective series and then bam it shifts. Surprised it’s not getting more attention.

Even though it went supernatural it still has that detective feel to it. I guess you could say similar to Season 1 of TD.

Yeah, I've been getting True Detective S1 vibes throughout the show thus far. It's pretty great.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
General rant with some spoliers of episode 7 incoming... I hate when the picture captioning an episode leaks information...

HBO Go's pic for this recent episode has a picture of a meeting between Holly and the other major players which hadn't occurred yet. Episode 6 leaves off with Jack and Holly on the car ride and you're wondering how it's going to turn out. The picture of the meeting that hadn't happened yet basically gives away that Holly's going to survive the car ride.

Yeah that's pretty dumb on their part. I really wish they would get rid of the scenes for next week stuff, it's especially annoying when you're binging the show with the recap.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Crazy to me they all left with Jack still on the loose. He's going to go for Tamika's baby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad