The Outer Worlds - Obsidian (2019 - PC, XB1, PS4)

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I just beat the game, and I only regret my choice on Edgewater/botanical garden. And if I did another playthrough, I'd slam even more points into dialog options.

Still wish they fleshed out crafting, I looted boxes out of sheer reflex, and it's disappointing that most of that loot amounted to nothing, and by the end, I had enough bits. The companion quests were decent, but the one with Ellie was super short in comparison, to say Parvatti.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Played about 3 hours yesterday on my standard ol' Xbox One.....and I gotta say, its runs and looks like crap. Its detracting from my experience.

The gun play is jerky and not smooth whatsoever, I cannot seem to stealth kill or damage anyone with melee weapons, and I find it very hard to navigate around Edgewater. Some markers on the compass indicating whats whats would be appreciated. I also found the enemy scaling wierdly out of balance. Just outside of Edgewater I came across a pack of primal beasts which took me hundreds of rounds of ammo to kill, and if hadnt of cheesed them by hiding in a cave, I would have stood no chance.

I'll keep going with the game, but not sure Ill finish it. I wish I was playing on a One X or high end PC

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Played about 3 hours yesterday on my standard ol' Xbox One.....and I gotta say, its runs and looks like crap. Its detracting from my experience.

The gun play is jerky and not smooth whatsoever, I cannot seem to stealth kill or damage anyone with melee weapons, and I find it very hard to navigate around Edgewater. Some markers on the compass indicating whats whats would be appreciated. I also found the enemy scaling wierdly out of balance. Just outside of Edgewater I came across a pack of primal beasts which took me hundreds of rounds of ammo to kill, and if hadnt of cheesed them by hiding in a cave, I would have stood no chance.

I'll keep going with the game, but not sure Ill finish it. I wish I was playing on a One X or high end PC

Interesting, I am on a regular PS4 and it runs perfectly smooth for me, zero issues.

I got to play a decent bit this weekend. This game is right up my alley so I am really enjoying it.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Interesting, I am on a regular PS4 and it runs perfectly smooth for me, zero issues.

I got to play a decent bit this weekend. This game is right up my alley so I am really enjoying it.

I should have worded that differently, its runs OK, but it looks like crap.

I have no idea what the terminology is, but its something Ive noticed with some games over the past 18 months or so (nearing the end of this gen). Somes game get this very weird "unfocused" look on the Xbox. Its typically background stuff, but not always. Its like the character model/item or whatever it is "shuttering" for lack of a better term. I cant really describe it. Draw distance is also very poor. Monster Hunter World was really bad for it. I had initially thought it was to do with games being very demanding, but now im not so sure, as I cant see this game being that demanding on the Xbox.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I should have worded that differently, its runs OK, but it looks like crap.

I have no idea what the terminology is, but its something Ive noticed with some games over the past 18 months or so (nearing the end of this gen). Somes game get this very weird "unfocused" look on the Xbox. Its typically background stuff, but not always. Its like the character model/item or whatever it is "shuttering" for lack of a better term. I cant really describe it. Draw distance is also very poor. Monster Hunter World was really bad for it. I had initially thought it was to do with games being very demanding, but now im not so sure, as I cant see this game being that demanding on the Xbox.

The original Xbox One is even weaker than a regular PS4. The base systems are likely to have a hard time going forward.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
The original Xbox One is even weaker than a regular PS4. The base systems are likely to have a hard time going forward.

Yes. I have an original XB1, and a PS4 slim. The slim has played everything Ive thrown at it without a hiccup. Not an entirely fair comparison as the tech in the slim is 4 years newer, but its not a Pro either. It didnt flinch at either Red Dead or God of War, both of which apparently are hard on systems.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Im coming around to it. About 8 hours in and just landed at the 2nd planet (the one overrun with Rapts)

The "dungeon" exploration parts feel very Fallout to me and thats what got my attention I think.

I do miss the junk collecting that Fallout 4 had though. Junk in this game seems pointless at this point to me.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
It's growing on me. One thing I'm doing now that has really improved the narrative is when I start a quest I follow it to the end, even if it means planet hopping. Early on I was trying to do everything efficiently by completing all quests on a planet but that meant I was doing quests that I had started hours ago and I had no idea by that point what the narrative was.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Weirdly enough, the game supports 21:9 on PC but only in Windowed Fullscreen and not actual Fullscreen.

Unfortunately, it also seems to have an occasional stutter issue in Windowed Fullscreen.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I just beat the game, and I only regret my choice on Edgewater/botanical garden. And if I did another playthrough, I'd slam even more points into dialog options.

Still wish they fleshed out crafting, I looted boxes out of sheer reflex, and it's disappointing that most of that loot amounted to nothing, and by the end, I had enough bits. The companion quests were decent, but the one with Ellie was super short in comparison, to say Parvatti.

Who did you choose to save?

I just started playing a couple quests on Monarch, I put in a lot of points into dialogue for my guy, I feel like that has helped immensely. I also put a lot of points into handguns (pistols) then I figured out you cant carry two pistols at once, I wanted my guy to be a gunslinger space cowboy type, so that kinda sucked. :ha:

Overall he is pretty spread out with points, the most with dialogue then guns, then tech then medical. I have put nothing into melee or defense.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I beat it a few days ago. I pretty much completed everything you can in a single playthrough. The first 6-8 hours or so the game is a decent 8. After that it's a 5 or 6. It really falls apart towards the end because there's really no rewarding progression. The skill checks provide almost nothing. There are a few 100 skill doors that save you a few seconds but can be bypassed. There are a few 100 skill dialogue checks that might let you skip a 2 minute side quest or unlock some companion banter but that's about it. And other than a few insanely high early game skill checks that almost no one would have most of the skill checks are towards the end where you will be able to easily hit them. There's really no reason not to just spread your points out all over, if you skip defense and 2 of melee/pistol/heavy you will easily have a character with almost 70+ in everything by the time you reach the end. Even on hard difficulty the game becomes a complete joke after you get the 2nd tier of weapons. Your companions can essentially kill everything for you while you loot the same boring loot you saw at the beginning of the game. And the pacing of the last half of the game is terrible. With a final area that resembles a 1990s arcade shooting game. Prepare to shoot the same boring enemies as they pop their heads over boxes over and over.

Overall I was pretty disappointed in the end. It starts off fun but that's about it. It's a very watered down RPG. Did I mention there's really only 2 planets/moons and 1 incredibly soulless city area? There was obviously a lot of content left on the cutting room floor with this game.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I got to Monarch. Im losing interest. Looting and searching areas seems very pointless and it seems very shallow. I find myself skipping as much dialogue as I can.

I feel like a large part of this games goodwill is more anti-Bethesda protest then actual liking this game.

Still, I foresee Microsoft pumping a bunch of money into a sequel and hopefully vastly improving the concept.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I think both of the previous posts complaints are totally valid and in the end its maybe a $40 game instead of a $60 game. I am in Monarch now and am heading to Byzantine fairly soon and haven't gotten bored of it.

But also, for this style game, what else is out there that's fairly new? It definitely scratches an itch for me, and I do think the story and side stories are all very well done (so far at least).

@Moskau what level difficulty did you play at? If not the highest, is there a reason you didnt try it out at the highest level? It sounds like it bored you because it was too easy for the most part.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I did get this game via Game Pass, so I didnt pay anywhere close to full price for it ($16 dollars for three months). Agreed that as a standalone title $60US/80CDN would be too much

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think both of the previous posts complaints are totally valid and in the end its maybe a $40 game instead of a $60 game. I am in Monarch now and am heading to Byzantine fairly soon and haven't gotten bored of it.

But also, for this style game, what else is out there that's fairly new? It definitely scratches an itch for me, and I do think the story and side stories are all very well done (so far at least).

@Moskau what level difficulty did you play at? If not the highest, is there a reason you didnt try it out at the highest level? It sounds like it bored you because it was too easy for the most part.

This game is not friendly to min-maxers essentially, the balancing isn't great: combat is fairly easy, everything is plentiful and you become amazing at everything by virtue of playing the game as a completionist.

Basically, this is much more casual than Fallout New Vegas and people who min-max will not enjoy this game very much.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
This game is not friendly to min-maxers essentially, the balancing isn't great: combat is fairly easy, everything is plentiful and you become amazing at everything by virtue of playing the game as a completionist.

Basically, this is much more casual than Fallout New Vegas and people who min-max will not enjoy this game very much.

Sorry, I am not sure what you mean by min/maxers, is that point spreading?

I kinda spread mine out everywhere minus two categories so.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Min-maxing is an approach. It stands for minimum-maximum: basically it is when someone prioritizes efficiency over everything else.

When someone min-maxes, they do the least to get the most out. Classic example of min-maxing when it comes to RPG: you have just leveled up and have 1 skill point to use. You put it in a certain skill you like but find out later that if you had put it in another you would have gotten the next tier of upgrade. So you reload and do that instead, because that way you get more out of that single point.

Basically it is being very competitive.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Basically it means putting the stats ahead of role-playing or story elements.

A min-maxer in Baldur's Gate 2, using the D&D system, might have a Fighter in their party with an Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma of 3 (the absolute lowest) because it doesn't have any real impact on the game for that character, putting all the points in Strength, Dexterity and Constitution.

But realistically, that character wouldn't be able to think or interact with anyone.

Most game designs reward min-maxing over more generalist approaches, because the more powerful damage, skills and equipment tend to be gated to very specific statistics.

A related concept is the "glass cannon" idea where you prioritize damage dealing over everything else. You are extremely fragile but can do massive damage.

Min-maxers tend to identify the most critical areas to maximize their advancement and power to the detriment of everything else. They will gear accordingly, regardless of how ridiculous or inconsistent it may be.

For the old "Multi-User Dungeon" games, there was "leveling equipment" where you would change out all of your equipment right before your xp hit the next level threshold, in order to maximize your leveling gains at that time. You can ask yourself whether changing all of your clothes in the middle of a fight or adventure makes any sense from a role-playing perspective.

The original Baldur's Gate had random HP gains when you leveled - so a min-maxer would save their game and then reload until they got the maximum HP possible. To cater to those people, they actually put in a setting that just maximized it anyway in the sequel IIRC.

They may also play the game in a manner to further maximize those points, repeating sections of the game over and over again or performing tasks that seem silly or inconsistent with previous actions or activities or the storyline in general.

An example of this kind of min-maxing is in the game Fallout: New Vegas, where it is in your interest to take your 1st level character and take a very long and circuitous route around all of the dangerous creatures to get to New Vegas, and then gamble your way up to sufficient funds to buy Intelligence augments at the nearby clinic. With the greater intelligence, you gain more skill points per level, and these additional skill points are not granted retroactively if you had purchased those augments later on.

However, the game is designed to funnel you to certain areas and you really have to go out of your way (and outside of the logical storyline progression) in order to achieve these additional points.

I'll admit to being a completionist which does have certain min-max elements associated with it - but as I've gotten older I've leaned away from it to some extent. It used to bother me forever if I missed a single skill point somewhere or something like that.

The irony of min-maxing is that game balance is usually designed for a less intensive approach towards stats and skill builds meaning that by the end of the game, it's usually not much of a challenge to those who embraced the min-max philosophy.

At the same time, one of the benefits of this approach is that, armed with the requisite stats and prior knowledge of what you need and what you don't need, you can complete most if not all elements of the game in a single playthrough as opposed to having to play it over and over again to unlock all the content using different builds.

Some people get a big charge out of maximizing the power of their characters, discussing their builds with others, and wringing every last drop of character strength out of the game design.

The Neverwinter Nights 2 Build community is basically dedicated to creating the most powerful characters using the D&D system, participants often don't even play with the characters, they just like the logical puzzle of it - what skills and feats and levels in which classes to take at what time.

Browse Builds | NWN2DB

Last edited:

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Gotcha, thank you for the detailed explanations fellow Sens fans. :D

I guess that isn't me, I like to complete a lot of the game, but definitely not a completionist. And I decide beforehand what style character I am going to try and just stick with that throughout the game.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I guess that isn't me, I like to complete a lot of the game, but definitely not a completionist. And I decide beforehand what style character I am going to try and just stick with that throughout the game.

I can certainly respect that.

I've tried that more recently with Bethesda-style games and I've enjoyed it just as much.

One of my favourite stories about the opposite of min-maxing is this one, from Skyrim:

An Illusionist in Skyrim: Part 1 | PC Gamer

It might be one of the funniest blogs on a playthrough I've seen.

In Skyrim, a mage is an unstoppable storm of destruction. In real life, a mage is just an illusionist: they can't do much except trick you. If one of them turned out to be the world's only hope of salvation, hijinks and sudden death would inevitably ensue. Since these are my two favourite things, I've decided to try playing this way.

Skyrim does have a school of magic comprised entirely of illusions, so I'm sticking strictly to this. I can't wear any armour, hold any weapons, cast any non-Illusion spells, or ever attack anyone directly - not even with a punch. Yes. This is an excellent idea.

An excerpt:

Stormcloaks! I hide in a corner while Hadvar deals with them. Spiders! I hide in a cave while Hadvar deals with them. A bear! I run past while Hadvar deals with him. We're out.

"Thanks for your help," says Hadvar, while I study him for any hint of sarcasm. "I wouldn't have got out of there without you."

You would and you did. He suggests we both head to Riverwood, then for some reason adds, "It's probably best if we split up."

That's an excellent idea for you, but a terrible idea for me. I can only use Illusion spells and I don't have any Illusion spells - that doesn't give me a lot of options where I stay alive.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The way I play games like this oddly made this almost the perfect length for me. Right as I was getting tired of doing every side mission I possibly could I ran out of missions to do. I haven't finished a huge open world game since GTA5, but I not only finished this but restarted it to play like an aggressive dumbass.

This may give me the reason I needed to finally force myself to play New Vegas. Stunningly this is only my 2nd Obsidian game, after The Stick of Truth. When you make your name on CRPGs & Star Wars you generally stay off my radar.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I played it on hard because I've never been interested in eating, drinking and sleeping to stay alive in these types of games. Also the companion AI is so clunky that playing on a difficulty where they can die permanently sounded horrible. I think if the games hard difficulty was normal and there was a different version of hard the game would have been much better. How quickly you level up, the amount of guns/ammunition and consumables available in the world and the amount of damage your companions do greatly needed to be toned down. If you do even half the optional side quests in the game you are going to have a character that can do everything too well. A casual, watered down version of New Vegas is a good description. Other than gunplay I don't think there's one thing Outer Worlds did better. And New Vegas gave me 80+ hours while I got 20 hours out of this.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Who did you choose to save?

I just started playing a couple quests on Monarch, I put in a lot of points into dialogue for my guy, I feel like that has helped immensely. I also put a lot of points into handguns (pistols) then I figured out you cant carry two pistols at once, I wanted my guy to be a gunslinger space cowboy type, so that kinda sucked. :ha:

Overall he is pretty spread out with points, the most with dialogue then guns, then tech then medical. I have put nothing into melee or defense.

The garden dwellers. Actually, I didn't care for that questline. It was abrupt, as I felt like it didn't give players a better backstory, before you had to figure which faction to more or less screw over.

I also put little into melee/defense. The way the game played out (stealth? what's stealth?), it felt like the game had only a couple true paths. I figured that like Fallout, hacking would be important, and it was.

I may do another playthrough and do different branching, but I've barely put any time into Luigi's Mansion 3, and I probably should finish that first.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Didn't realize what a short game this was, beat all the main factions and story in 10 hours. Only thing I didn't do was the companian quests. In fact I literally only got the 2 mandatory companions, was halfway done with one of their quests but it was like 7 fetch quests in one so I move on. Didn't even find the robot companian thats actually on your ship, lol.

Either way, thats a decent length for something designed for replayability. I prefer 10 hours to 50 hours for this type of game.

Only thing is that for the most part, I felt like I got all the best outcomes. For little garden edgewater, I shut down the edgewater generator and convinced Reed Tobson to step down and let the old lady take over. I got MSI and the iconoclasts to form one company. I fixed the groundbreaker and saved them from the board, I shut down the early retirement program on byzantium,

The only thing that kept me from a perfect playthrough was I didn't have the stats to avoid the final boss fight, but you basically had to max out all your dialogue and science stats for that. There may be planets I didn't go to but they weren't mentioned in the epilogue so im not sure.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad