The Outer Worlds - Obsidian (2019 - PC, XB1, PS4)

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Pretty excited about this. I'll probably try Game Pass on my PC for $1 and see how it is.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Only an hour in, but I'm really enjoying it so far. Controls feel pretty good, dialogue is good. Excited to see where it goes.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
A few hours played. I've been exploring everything and doing a few side missions.
This is a fantastic game so far. Visuals are great, combat is smooth, dialog is well-written with good character responses to choose from, facial animations/expressions are well expressed.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
This game is crashing for me Everytime on PC. Can't get past the character creation screen. Gonna do some experimenting, maybe it's something with my PC

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
This game is crashing for me Everytime on PC. Can't get past the character creation screen. Gonna do some experimenting, maybe it's something with my PC

It caused my PC to restart when I tried to bring up task manager (I just wanted to see which GPU it was picking), but MS really rather people use the game bar.

Otherwise, it's been stable here (6600k, AMD 580x@1080p, Xbone Bluetooth controller). While I thought about getting the Xbone version for $48 at Best Buy, my PC still runs circles around it, so $60 it was.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
It caused my PC to restart when I tried to bring up task manager (I just wanted to see which GPU it was picking), but MS really rather people use the game bar.

Otherwise, it's been stable here (6600k, AMD 580x@1080p, Xbone Bluetooth controller). While I thought about getting the Xbone version for $48 at Best Buy, my PC still runs circles around it, so $60 it was.
It's most likely a gamepass issue. It always crashes when I hook my pc up to my 4k screen. For some reason gamepass games don't crash when I play games off any other screen

Edit: well, knock on wood, but I set it to windowed full screen and the crashes stopped.

edit:....ahhhh oopsies. Apparently the cause was an unstable overclock on my GPU, I was getting graphical glitches at 4k and was worries my gpu was dying, didn't even occur to me that it was a bad overclock. It was fine for every other game so I forgot there was even an OC.

Last edited:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Very happy with the outcome of my first colony questline. The best outcomes feel very doable without a guide, but what I did was set the difficulty to the lowest and pour all the stats into the non-combat stats, so I have all the dialogue options unlocked pretty easily.

Also, I'm very impressed with the anti-aliasing in this game (which apparently can't be turned off). I had read people calling it smeary so I was worried but they must be playing super close to their monitors, it looks great to me.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Very happy with the outcome of my first colony questline. The best outcomes feel very doable without a guide, but what I did was set the difficulty to the lowest and pour all the stats into the non-combat stats, so I have all the dialogue options unlocked pretty easily.

Also, I'm very impressed with the anti-aliasing in this game (which apparently can't be turned off). I had read people calling it smeary so I was worried but they must be playing super close to their monitors, it looks great to me.
I made a pretty balanced character (the characters are all hilariously ugly) and set the difficulty to hard. Combat is a good challenge, I've had to run away from or avoid a few confrontations. Just starting to find some better weapons.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Can I transfer loot to my companions? I feel like I'm missing something.

Also, the companion AI is bad, and I while I would prefer to do a sneak build, but it seems like I just have to go in guns ablazing at times.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Can I transfer loot to my companions? I feel like I'm missing something.

Also, the companion AI is bad, and I while I would prefer to do a sneak build, but it seems like I just have to go in guns ablazing at times.
You can I think transfer some loot to them and also order them around. They won't shoot unless you press the attack command. You might have changed their AI by accident with a button press.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Isn't Obsidian owned by Microsoft now? Surprised to see this on other platforms.

They are, but the acquisition doesn't include The Outer Worlds, which was published by Private Division, a Take-Two subsidiary that Obsidian likely contracted with prior to the acquisition. Microsoft will publish Obsidian's future titles, which might be exclusive to MS platforms.

Edit: Short version: what SolidSnakeUS said.

Last edited:

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I’m a big fan of fallout and Skyrim so I’m very Interested in this game. Reviews have been pretty good so far so curious to those who have played is it worth getting?

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I’m a big fan of fallout and Skyrim so I’m very Interested in this game. Reviews have been pretty good so far so curious to those who have played is it worth getting?

It's Fallout in space, with different artwork, factions, companions, and fictional companies. It's nothing groundbreaking, but even though I enjoyed FO 4, Bethesda really crapped the bed since then, so I'm fine with TOW.

Reactions: Bocephus86

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
The amount of repairing you have to do in this game is almost borderline ridiculous. Repair, kill two enemies, need to repair again.

Still really enjoying this game though.

For a different take: I do not like Fallout games (3-4) and I think Skyrim is one of the most overrated games of all time. I generally dislike the huge open world games, but since you're dealing in smaller maps here, it makes it so much easier to do the side stuff without feeling completely overwhelmed.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Is Stealth a legitimate combat build option in this game? I usually go with a stealth assassin or ranged stealth build but like another poster on here said it seems like this game doesn't really want me to do that and forces me towards a guns blazing approach.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The amount of repairing you have to do in this game is almost borderline ridiculous. Repair, kill two enemies, need to repair again.
That may be connected to the difficulty. Nothing is even close to needing repairs in my game.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
2 hours in...there's something I can't quite place about this game that's kind of bugging me. Like something's missing. It's been a solid start and a solid Falloutesque experience but...I don't know, it sort of feels charmless so far. Well Parvati is decent I suppose. The narrative writing has been solid though.

Also I'm not one for defending corporations or anything but the anti corporate message behind this game has all the subtlety of a hammer to the forehead. I'm not expecting video game writers to be Hemingway but just two hours in and the message is already painfully obvious and a touch overdone

Last edited:

King 88

Mar 5, 2010
Is Stealth a legitimate combat build option in this game? I usually go with a stealth assassin or ranged stealth build but like another poster on here said it seems like this game doesn't really want me to do that and forces me towards a guns blazing approach.
Stealth felt so weak for me. Played plenty of sneak characters in Fallout and Tes and in this its feels so weak.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
2 hours in...there's something I can't quite place about this game that's kind of bugging me. Like something's missing. It's been a solid start and a solid Falloutesque experience but...I don't know, it sort of feels charmless so far. Well Parvati is decent I suppose. The narrative writing has been solid though.

Also I'm not one for defending corporations or anything but the anti corporate message behind this game has all the subtlety of a hammer to the forehead. I'm not expecting video game writers to be Hemingway but just two hours in and the message is already painfully obvious and a touch overdone

While I expect things to be explained in flashbacks, what's missing for me is
that you're just dumped into the middle of things, nothing is explained . You mean to tell me that marauders and the botanical lab people seemingly blissfully exist outside Edgewater, and why are the marauders the way they are? And then boom, you have a binary choice to make before you move to the next planet, in regards to whose power you're going to steal. And even worse about the binary choice, is that it comes down to which leader you like/dislike more, the respective resident's needs be damned.

Yeah, it's not tons different from the Fallout series, but maybe that was one of the few things I liked about New Vegas, it was more grey, rather than just black and white.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
While I expect things to be explained in flashbacks, what's missing for me is
that you're just dumped into the middle of things, nothing is explained . You mean to tell me that marauders and the botanical lab people seemingly blissfully exist outside Edgewater, and why are the marauders the way they are? And then boom, you have a binary choice to make before you move to the next planet, in regards to whose power you're going to steal. And even worse about the binary choice, is that it comes down to which leader you like/dislike more, the respective resident's needs be damned.

Yeah, it's not tons different from the Fallout series, but maybe that was one of the few things I liked about New Vegas, it was more grey, rather than just black and white.

Yeah I had a similar concern with the opening quest

I appreciate the attempt at morally Grey decision making but it felt rather shallow in that there was literally no third option. I ended up giving power to the deserters but the more I thought about it after and it seemed like their colony was doing fine. What it amounted to was which side sucks less, the other side is who I'm gonna f*** over for my self serving interests. And then as soon as I did it, everything in Edgewater seemed status quo except for the alarm going off and Reed looking depressed. I couldn't find one NPC who realized their power was gone.

But beyond that Ive been thinking about it some more and I can't escape this feeling that this game is largely charmless with a thin atmosphere. For me one of Fallout's strengths, even in 4, is this atmosphere of devastation and just the slightest hint of dread that's undercut by wackyness in the music, dialogue, and even the skill menus/AI behavior.

I'm not saying TOW needs to replicate that necessarily, since it already feels close enough to a copyright lawsuit as it is. But it's lacking charm in most of the dialogue/NPCs and general atmosphere of the game. All I'm getting is a visual breed between Fallout, Bioshock, and I suppose a bit of No Man's Sky. But this hasn't been a game, two hours in, that feels like it has its own unique soul and charm.

And I'm plenty mad at Bethesda so I had every reason to go into this with positivity/confirmation bias but it's just missing enough to elevate this from good to timelessly great imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad