News Article: The Ottawa Senators and Toronto Maple Leafs expect to have full capacity, but awaiting green light

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Selling out games while the capacity limit remains at 1,000 is a very bold gamble. The Oshawa Generals of the OHL are doing the same thing as well. I assume owners have some inside knowledge that we don’t, but there’s no guarantees until changes are official. It’s difficult to rely on restrictions being loosened when the pandemic is very fluid.

Overall there are 2 possible outcomes. Either teams get the approvals they expect, and make more money in the short term because they’ve been selling for weeks leading up. Or, capacity changes aren’t made or fall short short of expectations, which would be a nightmare of having to deal with upset fans. Ticket reps would have to process refunds and would be the main point of contact with handling tons of upset fans.

From speaking with another team’s ticketing manager, it’s just not worth the risk of pissing off a fanbase just to try making extra money early on. Even with a 1,000 seat capacity right now, teams already have to decide how to prioritize the 1,000 seats for each game when they have over 1,000 season tickets sold. I can’t imagine being a ticket rep at the moment would be a fun gig, especially if the owner wants to gamble on being able to host max capacity crowds.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Selling out games while the capacity limit remains at 1,000 is a very bold gamble. The Oshawa Generals of the OHL are doing the same thing as well. I assume owners have some inside knowledge that we don’t, but there’s no guarantees until changes are official. It’s difficult to rely on restrictions being loosened when the pandemic is very fluid.

Overall there are 2 possible outcomes. Either teams get the approvals they expect, and make more money in the short term because they’ve been selling for weeks leading up. Or, capacity changes aren’t made or fall short short of expectations, which would be a nightmare of having to deal with upset fans. Ticket reps would have to process refunds and would be the main point of contact with handling tons of upset fans.

From speaking with another team’s ticketing manager, it’s just not worth the risk of pissing off a fanbase just to try making extra money early on. Even with a 1,000 seat capacity right now, teams already have to decide how to prioritize the 1,000 seats for each game when they have over 1,000 season tickets sold. I can’t imagine being a ticket rep at the moment would be a fun gig, especially if the owner wants to gamble on being able to host max capacity crowds.

A lottery is how you do it, each game a lottery, done in advance for seasons ticket holders based on the percentage of tickets that are season tickets. The rest can also be sold by lottery.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Ya, doesn’t make sense, no way they are getting max capacity, when the outdoor for Jays and CFL in Ontario is 15,000 limit.

Reactions: Canadian Game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad