Votes: 17 34.0%
  • C. XXXXXXX-Tavares-Nylander + Blackwell-Kerfoot-Kase

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • D. Blackwell-Tavares-Kase + XXXXXX-Kerfoot-Nylander

Votes: 19 38.0%

• Total voters

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I want to see them spread the weapons around and skate the other team into the ground with three scoring lines and the kampf line as it’s constructed.
Blackwell JT Kase
Robbie/Knies Kerfoot Willy

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Problem with Kerf-JT-Nylander is once the puck crosses our blue time 9 times out of 10 they will be hemmed in while there's an above average chance the puck is going in the net. If Blackwell can somehow help with that then try him with JT and Willy. If not then yeah split them up and run 3 2b/3a lines. Whichever line has it going becomes the second line

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
I want to try Blackwell 2LW.

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Blackwell-Tavares-Nylander
Engvall-Kampf-Miky
Kase-Kerfoot-Spezza

That 4th line on paper is one of the best in the league

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
I want to try Blackwell 2LW.

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Engvall-Kampf-Miky
Kase-Kerfoot-Spezza

That 4th line on paper is one of the best in the league
If Knies is coming, I'd shift Engvall to the fourth line and replace him on the third line with Knies.

Can't really roster Kase at this point can we?

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
If Knies is coming, I'd shift Engvall to the fourth line and replace him on the third line with Knies.

Can't really roster Kase at this point can we?
Why would you change the 3rd line though? If it ain't broke don't fix it.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Why would you change the 3rd line though? If it ain't broke don't fix it.
It's predicated on Knies' arrival and the notion that while a thing may not be broke perhaps it can be augmented. The idea is strength throughout the lineup. Engvall's not an overly consistent player and if there's one thing Scotty Bowman demonstrated it's that a championship team is a team that can improvise when the situation demands and responds when it's asked to.

Knies looks to be very skilled and he's another big body. If there is a chance to upgrade that line's skill while determining what we have in Knies, I think we do that rather than launch him into the top 6 from the start.

Engvall will provide the same effect on the fourth line as he does the third...and if it doesn't work, there's more shuffling to be done.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Kerfoot is the oy 50 point player that should be playing with Tavares and Nylander.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
so based on the early results of this poll, the one thing that nobody really wants is to keep the Kerf-JT-Willy line together and have Spezza centering the other line.

but looks like a pretty even split on which change people want.

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
Kerfoot-Tavares-Nylander has not been very good lately. But it's a combination that has worked in the past, and I think can work again.

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'd probably start with Kerfoot-Tavares-Nylander while being happy that viable options for change exist if/when needed.

Reactions: banks

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
I completely agree, you cannot touch L1 and L3. Way too dynamic and way too consistent. We need to find the right formula for the other lines with the remaining players on roster.

To me, Matt Knies is the wildcard with our team. I don't think there is any possibility he does not sign an ELC at the end of the NCAA tournament with all the comments circulating lately. He is ready for the pro game, it's so painfully obvious at this point. I just don't think Robertson can be trusted to make an impact in the playoffs anywhere in the lineup quite yet. It's really nothing against him, but as much as he has brilliant moments, he also has far too many pedestrian shifts. Until he can iron that out consistently, we need to hold him out of the lineup. He really is only effective in a top-6 role at this point and he's just too inconsistent to pen into any playoff lineup. Love the player, he's going to be good for us in time. Just not now.

Back to Knies, I think Knies might be able to add value up and down that lineup, and in a dream scenario he may even be our answer to 2L LW. He's built for playoff hockey physically, and his style of play is exactly what we need. It will really all come down to his ability to adapt to the pace of the NHL, which I'll be honest could be a an issue. But how much worse off could he be with the pace of the game over Simmonds or Clifford? I really think his skill and physicality is exactly hat we need down the lineup. I'd start him there, and if he plays his way onto that second line I'd drop Kerf down to 4L C and move Blackwell to the 4L LW. But to me, Knies has to be given a look on that 4th line

To start playoffs:

Bunting - Matthews - Marner
Kerfoot - Tavares - Nylander
Micheyev - Kampf - Engvall
Knies - Blackwell - Kase

If Knies plays well, and that 2nd line continues to stay flat:

Knies - Tavares - Nylander
Blackwell - Kerfoot - Kase

HS: Spezz/Simmonds/Clifford

I know this will be a blow to Spezz and Simmer's ego's, but they'll get their shot eventually. Injuries occur, and new looks are always needed. But the truth of the matter is they haven't done enough to get into that lineup every game. We need pace and energy. Both of which they can provide but in small doses. I'd much rather Simmer check into game 4 when their guys are hurting and simmer is chompin' at the bit and looking for blood. I actually think Sheldon is already prepping them for this potential outcome. Spezz and Simmonds have both seen the press box a bit more frequently lately.

I know starting Knies is a major risk, but he is a major part of our future. Arguably our most important prospect. We need his style of play in the worst way imaginable. We also need to take risks against whoever we play IMO. We need something that can be our X-Factor, because as it stands we will be the underdog against every R1 matchup. I'd rather go down swinging, or at least first pitch swinging (game 1). Open up with Knies in the lineup and scale back if/when needed.
This literally gave me a jingle in my jungle ahhhh
Way to go , now and moving forward your line up here is perfect !!!!!!!

Knies - Tavares - Nylander
Blackwell - Kerfoot - Kase

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
So I think we all agree that we have 2 amazing lines.

1. Bunting-Matthews-Marner is simply one of the best lines in the league.
2. Mikheyev-Kampf-Engvall is an excellent bottom-6 forechecking and checking line.

We probably don't want to touch these two lines.

But the other two lines are obviously works in progress, so what do we actually want to do here?

There's 5 guys that are locks for these two lines if healthy, IMO, and they are Tavares, Nylander, Kerfoot, Kase, Blackwell.

The good news is that no matter what the combo we pick, neither line looks 4th line quality - any 2 of these guys makes a line closer to at least 3rd line quality than 4th line.

So, if healthy, there's only one spot left for these guys to fight over: Spezza, Simmonds, Clifford, Robertson, Anderson, Seney, Steeves, Knies, Abbruzzese. I'll just lump these guys together and call them XXXXX.

so which line combos would be the best?

A. Kerfoot-Tavares-Nylander + Blackwell-XXXXXX-Kase

Pros: Despite their scuffles, that Tavares line has been one of the most productive 2nd lines in the league this year. Blackwell-Kase should make a good line no matter who the center is.
Cons: That Tavares line has struggled for a while now, especially defensively. Center is the most important slot and we probably don't want to be relying on Spezza or Abbruzzese at center in the playoffs.

B. Nylander-Tavares-Kase/Blackwell + XXXXXXX-Kerfoot-Kase/Blackwell

Pros: there's a chance a more grindy type winger like Kase/Blackwell could make that 2nd line click. Kerfoot should be a plus as a bottom-6 C that doesn't face the toughs like Kampf does, and along with Kase/Blackwell that should be closer to a 3rd line quality line than 4th line quality.
Cons: no big cons. Tavares-Nylander may still not click tho.

C. XXXXXXX-Tavares-Nylander + Blackwell-Kerfoot-Kase

Pros: That Kerfoot line would likely be an above average 3rd line quality line. Even boderline 2nd line quality with 2 20gl capable wingers and all three well capable of 40-50pt type offense. One of the kids could finally click with Tavares-Nylander.
Cons: relying on a kid on the 2nd line is risky, especially when the other two aren't clicking right now.

D. Blackwell-Tavares-Kase + XXXXXX-Kerfoot-Nylander

Pros: Gives Tavares 2 plumber type wingers with some skill, more like he was used to in NY. Reunites the successful Kerfoot-Nylander combo, with lots of good options to replace Galchenyuk.
Cons: Neither is likely a top end 2nd line.

Follow-up question: Which player do you think is best suited to be XXXXXX?
do you not realize that both Tavares and Nylander and playing at near PPG this year?
likely 75% of the league would insert Tavares and Nylander on their #1 line, and we have the luxury of them being on our #2
Leafs likely try Blackwell there and see what happens

Reactions: kb and zeke

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Lots of good suggestions here and I'm going on a limb that Keefe is going to try every single one of them over the next few weeks. Probably a few variations within the same game.

My own take:
Bunting-Matthews-Marner (No explanation required)
Blackwell-Tavares-Nylander (Blackwell b/c they need their own Bunting)
Engvall-Kampf-Mikheyev (Great line, have to contribute offense come playoff time or it will be a short spring, again)
Knies-Kerfoot-Spezza/Kase (Spezza when Kase inevitably gets injured and lets give Knies a look in a limited role)

Reactions: kb and riffle

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
do you not realize that both Tavares and Nylander and playing at near PPG this year?
likely 75% of the league would insert Tavares and Nylander on their #1 line, and we have the luxury of them being on our #2
Leafs likely try Blackwell there and see what happens

its one of the poll options for a reason!

riffle

Mar 17, 2022
East of Eden
Lots of good suggestions here and I'm going on a limb that Keefe is going to try every single one of them over the next few weeks. Probably a few variations within the same game.

My own take:
Bunting-Matthews-Marner (No explanation required)
Blackwell-Tavares-Nylander (Blackwell b/c they need their own Bunting)
Engvall-Kampf-Mikheyev (Great line, have to contribute offense come playoff time or it will be a short spring, again)
Knies-Kerfoot-Spezza/Kase (Spezza when Kase inevitably gets injured and lets give Knies a look in a limited role)
This team always feels like it's in some version of training camp.

Like most people, I'm excited to see IF Blackwell can be Bunting-esque and impact the Top 6. I'm also excited to see if Knies can, as well. Abuzzese can't be sold short, either. All 3 should get a sniff up there.

The 4th line is most interesting to me. I'm for a Zero-Simmonds and Spezza situation. I don't want to see either of them in the lineup again. Kase on Line 4 only due to health concerns. Fewer minutes equals lesser injury risk for the guy who we all know doesn't have MMA in his future when his playing days are over. If Kase is one of the members of 4th line, who are the other 2? Perhaps, it's the 2-of-the-group-of-3 who'll probably get a shot on Line 2. So, you'll get:

Knies-Blackwell-Kase
Abruzzese-Blackwell-Kase
Abruzzesse-Knies-Kase

Kerfoot and Engvall also possibles as either or could be 3rd liners, and Kerfoot may just end up on Line 2.

Really hoping Knies and Abruzzese's seasons end this week. The sooner they can get here the better, and it's not even given that one, or both, will sign here.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
I like option 'D'. Gives JT two hardworking guys who will put in the work down-low. Nylander and kerfoot work well together. If Knies shows he can keep up then put him with JT and move Blackwell down with Nylander/Kerf.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I think you eventually need to give Tavares-Nylander an annoying player with a motor. Bunting does wonders for Matthews-Marner...and I feel it won't be too long until Blackwell gets a big opportunity there to provide that same thing. Help drag your skilled guys into the battle come playoff time. Matthews and Marner seem more engaged than ever this year, and I think a lot of that has to do with Bunting tbh. Need Simmonds toughness imo come playoffs...rotate him and Spezza to keep them both fresh.

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Engvall-Kampf-Mikheyev
Kase-Kerfoot-Simmonds/Spezza

Reactions: 123offtheglass

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
Nylander - Tavares - Kase
Blackwell - Kerfoot - Anderson

Knies/Abruz/Steeves all cycle in look for the fit while Kase is hurt. Spezza and Simmonds, let them rest and maybe never play them again. Clifford -> Marlies. Robertson, not yet.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
I'm hoping JT & Nylander figure it out, but if not I'd like to see:

Robertson - Tavares - Kase
Nylander - Kerfoot - Blackwell

Spezza flipped in for Robertson if that doesn't work. I would have Spezza in over Robertson for any games that are elimination or against a more physical opponent. If Nylander is rolling then give him some extra shifts with JT

I think what @WayneTrain mentioned makes a lot of sense too though ^

Last edited:
Reactions: Bloomberg

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Blackwell - Tavares - Kase
Spezza - Kerfoot - Nylander

This gives us 3 lines who can score. Tavares gets his tenacious wingers who can grind with him in the corners. Willy gets guys who can work better in transition with him, though we can mix Spezza with Robertson/Knies to see what works optimally.

Overall provides an offensive core with depth and a great checking line. This is a very solid team

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I just think JT and Willie are not complimentary. That is the whole problem right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad