Votes: 10 20.0%
  • D. Blackwell-Tavares-Kase + XXXXXX-Kerfoot-Nylander

Votes: 19 38.0%

• Total voters
Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Call me crazy, but if Kase is out, I want to try:

Blackwell - Tavares - Anderson

I've always liked Anderson and feel he would fit in nicely with Tavares. Add in a feisty Blackwell and you could have a line that causes issues behind the goal line and in front of the net.

If not with Tavares, then I'm hoping Anderson plays a role on the 4th line

Reactions: aingefan

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Yikes! So you want to put our point a game captain (yes, he is still an 80 plus point player, despite his recent struggles) with a guy who might be the next Bunting...but could also not...and another guy who hasn't established he can play consistently on the 4th line yet, let alone in the top 6. Pretty sure JTs stats are not going to go UP playing with these two. He needs a line driver. Neither of those guys is that. That being said, Nylander isn't working either. I think we look for #2 centre in the off season, and put JT on his wing. And I'd deal Nylander to get that guy. Then maybe one of the other two can go on the other wing. But that is a conversation for next year.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
In a perfect world, one of Robertson or Knies plays on the second line with JT and Willie.

This gives us a stronger fourth line than we have had in Dubahan era.

Blackwell • Kerfoot • Kase

We have lots of PK options too:

Marner
Kampf
Mikheyev
Engvall
Kerfoot
Kase

Reactions: kb

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
If the new look doesn't work, you go back.... so... yeah, no good reason not to try something that might work better.
We've seen Matthews-Nylander and Tavares-Marner. There is crap tons of tape on it over the years lol. It's not exactly trying something new.
If both lines go stale? Absolutely give them that little shake up. When one line is on fire and the other is struggling, fix it elsewhere in the lineup, don't pull apart your best line to try and save another. That's just my opinion.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Seeing Tavares play briefly with Marner and Bunting makes me think he might do better with a balls to the wall hard forechecking/cycle line.

I like Nylander but their styles don't match. And if we can split up one line that is struggling into two that can score, maybe for our next trick we can turn two goalies who can't stop the puck into one that can :sarcasm:

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think they should permanently uncouple Nylander and Tavares and create their own lines. One more of a speed and run and gun line with Nylander and Kerfoot as the basis, the other more of a give and go, small area plays, cycle the puck kind of unit with Tavares. Then use the 3rd line as a reliable 4th line with 3rd line minutes. Basically roll with a Big Line, 2x Second Lines and an elite defensive disruption line.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
You have one of the best lines in hockey right now in Bunting-Matthews-Marner....that's actually a pretty good reason not to try it lol
Tavares and Marner were also one of the best winger/center combos in the league in the past and when Matthews was out JT produced like a number one center again.I agree that Matthews and Marner is even better, but the question is rather Nylander and Tavares would improve enough to justify it.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Split Matthews and Marner for a little, just to see how it goes.

Nothing wrong with trying a bunch of different combinations, will probably have to try stuff in the playoffs and would be nice to know if you tried something earlier that had some success when you're in that moment.

Can always go back to that top line if you have to.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Bunting - Matthews - Marner
Blackwell - Tavares - Nylander
Engvall - Kampf - Mikheyev
Knies - Kerfoot - Kase/Spezza
Simmonds

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Blackwell - Tavares - Nylander
Engvall - Kampf - Mikheyev
Knies - Kerfoot - Kase/Spezza
Simmonds
We should try that 2nd line. I think they need a bit of grit on it. Blackwell seems to have enough skill to dance with those guys.

The 4th I think, as much as people seem to not want Simmonds, you need his edge. We don't need a goon, but we don't want to be pushed around either. That Boston game in their last series against the Leafs, when Kadri got suspended for example was atrocious. You can't depend on the refs to manage the game. We were beaten up in that game, straight up. Kadri was the only one trying to respond, but overdid it obviously. Habs ran us over- literally last playoffs.

Of course that's not going to happen every game, but you need a deterrent on each line, a bit of grit and push back, or even better, initiate the contact, take the initiative and make the other team go on their heels. I like our defence now in terms of physicality once Muzzin comes back.

I think Kerfoot - Spezza - Simmonds has enough speed and smarts to shut down other teams as a 4th unit at 6 minutes a night 5/5. Kerfoot and Spezza getting some extra ice time on special teams. The amount of time Simmonds gets isn't going to over stretch his usefulness. If things get hairy, throw him up the lineup for a shift to take care of things.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Micheyev - Kerfoot - Nylander
Blackwell - Tavares - Engvall
Knies - Kampf- Kase

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5