OT: The Other Sports Thread Part X - MLB back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
All things considered, the NYJ aren't playing half bad.

Fun game to watch so far.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Aaand Darnold craps the bed with a killer INT to close the half out. :laugh:

To be fair, this pick might've been on the receiver, difficult to know.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Aaand Darnold craps the bed with a killer INT to close the half out. :laugh:

To be fair, this pick might've been on the receiver, difficult to know.
I thought Darnold had a very good game considering the circumstances. Hopefully the Jets can protect him next year and give him some actual offensive weapons, since the kid is really talented, and still very young.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I thought Darnold had a very good game considering the circumstances. Hopefully the Jets can protect him next year and give him some actual offensive weapons, since the kid is really talented, and still very young.
Ditto, he's got solid fundamentals and he can throw in movement , he just needs to play behind an O-line that won't be either injured all the time or crapping the bed. They can build around that kid.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Ditto, he's got solid fundamentals and he can throw in movement , he just needs to play behind an O-line that won't be either injured all the time or crapping the bed. They can build around that kid.
They need a threat at WR too. If the Jets can draft Jeudy, that'd go a long way. Anderson is a fine option and Crowder is pretty reliable most of the time, but neither can really dominate a game.

I imagine Jeudy won't be available by the time NY's drafting, but maybe they can get someone in free agency and draft o-line instead.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
What is impressive about Darnold, for those that follow advanced stats, is the COMP% vs xCOMP% (+0.2) at his aggressiveness rate. Especially considering the OL he plays behind.

Do I like him as much as Jackson, Allen or Mayfield? No, I do not. But he should be a competent QB if he continues to progress.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Draft Oline and get an actual coach and the Jets/Darnold will be fine.
a95_ap19014784970746.jpeg

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
It will still be when Ingram is released sometime next year. ;)
I agree he's mostly Robin to Jackson's Batman but still, he's had a heck of a season. Lamar wouldn't be quite as effective if he didn't have the threat of a power run from Ingram down the middle working on his side. Opposing defenses have to keep him in mind.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
What is impressive about Darnold, for those that follow advanced stats, is the COMP% vs xCOMP% (+0.2) at his aggressiveness rate. Especially considering the OL he plays behind.

Do I like him as much as Jackson, Allen or Mayfield? No, I do not. But he should be a competent QB if he continues to progress.
I understand not liking him as much as Jackson; he's been insane.

but Allen and Mayfield? Really?

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I understand not liking him as much as Jackson; he's been insane.

but Allen and Mayfield? Really?
What makes you question that Josh (not Kyle) Allen is behind Sam in their respective developmental curve? Neither my eyeball test nor any of the stats can enforce that argument.

With Mayfield, the argument can be had, however. He gets inside of his own head too often and it hurts him on the field. But, as a big time non-believer in Baker after he got drafted, I can now surely appreciate the raw talent. It is not a certainty that he can overcome the Brown mess, but I think he's as much chance as anyone CLE has ever drafted at QB in the last...hmmm...forever?

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I agree he's mostly Robin to Jackson's Batman but still, he's had a heck of a season. Lamar wouldn't be quite as effective if he didn't have the threat of a power run from Ingram down the middle working on his side. Opposing defenses have to keep him in mind.
I'd actually flip your argument on its head and argue that, while this isn't anything new we're seeing from Ingram (NO 2016-2017), there's never been a QB to rush for as many yards as Jackson has already this season. The QB is the one player that always touches the ball, no matter the play call, and, in that regard, it is Lamar that opens up more opportunities for Ingram than vice versa IMO.

Teams often rush 5-6 at Jackson and he still beats those rushers to the outside for at least 5 yards. You can't defend against him, neither man nor zone works (unlike Vick the man can certainly throw the football). If you blitz him you'll pay for that. The only way is to have a premier, PREMIER defensive end (Bosa), drop back your secondary and pray for dear life they do their job in coverage. And even if so, the chances are Lamar will still advance the football much more often than not.

P.S. Full disclosure, I have never, ever liked BAL as a franchise. Always found them to be too stagnant and conservative. But the way they structured their entire team around Jackson this year is as admirable as anything I've ever witnessed a team do. That is the reason I'd like to see it all pay off for them, not Jackson and his abilities. There haven't been many cases of organizations being this agile since I first began watching the NFL.

Last edited:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'd actually flip your argument on its head and argue that, while this isn't anything new we're seeing from Ingram (NO 2016-2017), there's never been a QB to rush for as many yards as Jackson has already this season. The QB is the one player that always touches the ball, no matter the play call, and, in that regard, it is Lamar that opens up more opportunities for Ingram than vice versa IMO.

Teams often rush 5-6 at Jackson and he still beats those rushers to the outside for at least 5 yards. You can't defend against him, neither man nor zone works (unlike Vick the man can certainly throw the football). If you blitz him you'll pay for that. The only way is to have a premier, PREMIER defensive end (Bosa), drop back your secondary and pray for dear life they do their job in coverage. And even if so, the chances are Lamar will still advance the football much more often than not.

P.S. Full disclosure, I have never, ever liked BAL as a franchise. Always found them to be too stagnant and conservative. But the way they structured their entire team around Jackson this year is as admirable as anything I've ever witnessed a team do. That is the reason I'd like to see it all pay off for them, not Jackson and his abilities. There haven't been many cases of organizations being this agile since I first began watching the NFL.
Oh don't get me wrong, Lamar would have had the same season pretty much regardless of who is his RB. I just think that some of those outside runs were made a bit less ''painful'' bacause Ingram is an established inside runner . If it's some jabroni at RB then the opposing defense won't bother loading up the middle and Lamar would be getting harder tackles ( when he does get hit).

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Oh don't get me wrong, Lamar would have had the same season pretty much regardless of who is his RB. I just think that some of those outside runs were made a bit less ''painful'' bacause Ingram is an established inside runner . If it's some jabroni at RB then the opposing defense won't bother loading up the middle and Lamar would be getting harder tackles ( when he does get hit).
Can't disagree with your point above.

Again, speaks to my earlier sentiment of how BAL made it all work building around Jackson. They knew EXACTLY whom to target as their RB (look it up to see just how swiftly they stole Ingram away from NO).

Last edited:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Here's a thought if anyone cares enough to participate...

How about I name a position (considering the NFL contributions only) and we debate (or agree on) the greatest player that's ever played it?

Let's start with something that should be easy and unanimous - Who's the greatest Fullback ever in your opinion?

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Here's a thought if anyone cares enough to participate...

How about I name a position (considering the NFL contributions only) and we debate (or agree on) the greatest player that's ever played it?

Let's start with something that should be easy and unanimous - Who's the greatest Fullback ever in your opinion?
Jim Brown. HM Franco Harris.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Should we even ask about the QB/WR/TE positions?

Would anyone dispute Brady/Rice/Gonzalez as the consensus picks? The first two should be automatic IMO, but, I suppose, some argument can be had about the last one.

RB is where it gets interesting IMO. I have 3 obvious names in my mind and it's really really close to put one over the other two.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
This is it for the Rams as far as their playoff hopes are concerned.

That team is in a pickle going forward with all that money committed to Goff, Gurley, Ramsey and others. And depleted of draft picks.

They made their bed and are going to have to lay in it. It's going to get worse before it gets better for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad