OT: The other sports thread (NFL, MLB, NBA....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kachino

@kachino82
Feb 16, 2008
Montreal
Last edited:

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Link doesn't work anymore :(

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl-responds-to-r...n-into-deflated-footballs-is-ongoing-1.187584

I honestly don't know what to think about this. I think the Patriots beat the Colts no matter what ... but man, I guess that topic will be talk and talk about during this 2 weeks hiatus.

the NFL is a nine billion dollar industry, yet they still rely on the home team to provide balls ? Why can't the officiating crews go to games with 36 deflated shells and fill them up themselves ?

Although I kinda have to respect the " if you aint cheating, you aint trying" mentality of the pats provided they had anything to do with it.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Anyone watching UFC Fight Night?

Ole ole in Boston.. just a little weird to me.

Uhh the clip I saw, it was a bar in Dublin Ireland at 4:30am. I could be wrong and they may have chanted it in the arena too, but when I heard the olé it was during that clip.

That being said I'm glad people are bring up MMA in this thread. There are quite a few events in coming up.

Aldo vs MacGregor could be interesting, though I do think Aldo will win.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
the NFL is a nine billion dollar industry, yet they still rely on the home team to provide balls ? Why can't the officiating crews go to games with 36 deflated shells and fill them up themselves ?

Although I kinda have to respect the " if you aint cheating, you aint trying" mentality of the pats provided they had anything to do with it.

Some QBs prefer some balls to be softer and others prefer them harder. It's such a miniscule difference and it only affects the highest sliver of players (ie the Bradys, the Rodgers, etc.) that people are making a mountain out of a molehill here. And each team plays with their own balls to begin with, so it's a moot point.

It doesn't effing matter.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Some QBs prefer some balls to be softer and others prefer them harder. It's such a miniscule difference and it only affects the highest sliver of players (ie the Bradys, the Rodgers, etc.) that people are making a mountain out of a molehill here. And each team plays with their own balls to begin with, so it's a moot point.

Seriously, who gives a ****?

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
For all you Génie fans, her third round match at the Aussie Open is on RDS tonight @ 8:30.

genie.jpg

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

So if a Brady or Rodgers likes his balls extra sticky, they can rub them with pine tar or stickum?

I don't think it would have made a difference against the colts but if players can doctor their balls to their preference, why have limits on weight or psi at all?

I can't palm a regulation basketball but if you let me deflate it I probably could.

kazmanian

Sep 30, 2014
The dumbest thing about the deflategate is that refs check footballs before they can be used. They are probably the people, along the QBs, that handles the balls the most. And none of them noticed anything wrong with them during the game.

The report says the NFL, the Colts and the refs were told about a possible issue before halftime. Yet nothing was found wrong during the game, Pagano said he thought footballs were OK. If anyone altered the footballs it has to be the managers on someone's demand, but like I said, the refs would've/should've notice it.

The NFL should just provide balls or let the home team provide for them. Both teams use the same balls...

At the end of the day, I can't see this affecting the game. Pats were the better team.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
The dumbest thing about the deflategate is that refs check footballs before they can be used. They are probably the people, along the QBs, that handles the balls the most. And none of them noticed anything wrong with them during the game.

The report says the NFL, the Colts and the refs were told about a possible issue before halftime. Yet nothing was found wrong during the game, Pagano said he thought footballs were OK. If anyone altered the footballs it has to be the managers on someone's demand, but like I said, the refs would've/should've notice it.

The NFL should just provide balls or let the home team provide for them. Both teams use the same balls...

At the end of the day, I can't see this affecting the game. Pats were the better team.

my understanding is that the officials check the balls like 2 hours before the game then give the balls to the team, and its here, presumably, that balls could be doctored.

If quaterbacks are that specific about the balls they use, let them set them up however they like, the officials then check them to make sure that they are compliant and every time a team needs a ball, they get it from the official not a ball boy.

I completely do not understand why the NFL checks the balls prior to the game and then gives away the balls with zero interest of chain of custody.

Seriously what if a reliever in baseball could go into the dugout to pick out a "special" ball in baseball ? no one would question this ?

Even if one accepts that the qb's are exceptionally particular about the balls they use, its almost zero more effort to 1) check the balls for compliance and 2) store them in a cart that can only be opened by an official. If they give brady a ball that he vetted that he doesnt like, he can ask to swap it out for another one.

but in this case it likely would not have made any difference.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Here is what Brady says, doesn't make sense

Brady said he loves balls at 12.5 oz, they are perfect

He doesn't want anyone to touch them after that.

If he pays that much attention to inflation of the balls, why didn't he say anything about all the balls being under inflated for two weeks in a row? Those called were not perfect.

Its simple, its because he is lying. When he was asked, he skirted the truth.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Go read the quotes, if he paid that much attention to "perfect" balls, how didn't he notice that 11 out of 12 of his perfect balls weren't the same?

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Does Belichick have two strikes against him? He's a smart coach but his conduct is suspicious.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Here is what Brady says, doesn't make sense

Brady said he loves balls at 12.5 oz, they are perfect

He doesn't want anyone to touch them after that.

If he pays that much attention to inflation of the balls, why didn't he say anything about all the balls being under inflated for two weeks in a row? Those called were not perfect.

Its simple, its because he is lying. When he was asked, he skirted the truth.

Simpler explanation: he likes his footballs at a certain limit (12.5) but he can't tell the difference during game time because he's focused on a million other things. The balls were a bit flat for whatever reason, but he didn't do anything to them purposefully because it is RIDICULOUS to break the rules over such a tiny, not even beneficial alteration. Balls don't spin right when they're under inflated, in the rain it doesn't help the QB whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad