OT: The Other Sports Thread IX - Go Astros go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Andreescu in prime time tonight, 9 pm.

NFL starts Thursday. I’m not that big a fan anymore but my personal sports landscape is bleak right now.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Yeah, his footwork, and technical ability to strike balls in a variety of ways seemed to save alot of strain on his body.

There alot of herky jerky movements at this level that look so unnatural for the body, but Roger always got himself in positions to make it look natural.

Constrast to the way Djokovic plays. He looks like gumby out there, and while Nadal has toned it down a little bit these days, I remember feeling pain just watching him lol.

The bolded part is key when it comes to Federer's success. I wouldn't call him quick around the court, but if you watch his side of the court (ignoring the opponent completely) you will notice two things that stand out the most.

First it's the anticipation and the ability to read his opponent. 9 times out of ten you will see that Roger places himself around the court in the way that allows him to take away the obvious angles. It's a probability play basically. He dares for you to beat him with a difficult shot.

The second, and the most important part (IMO), is his footwork. There has never been a male tennis player that set his feet even during the most difficult of shots as well as Federer does. Unless he's totally scrambling to put his racket on the ball, he never strikes the ball too early. Placing your feet properly to drive the ball is the most important aspect of tennis. It is that what drives precision and ball placement.

Lastly I want to mention his defensive backhand slice. It is very important to his game as it allows him to buy some time and re-group. Federer absolutely possesses a variety of shots, but it's this slice that is the most impactful to his overall game IMO.

Reactions: JianYang

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Feel like Andreescu vs Townsend will be a pretty brief affair. Bianca is making some great shots

Last edited:
Reactions: stanley25

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Man Bianca was rattled yesterday. Can't blame her. On top of it being insanely hot and humid and Townsend playing an extremely annoying style, those fans were extremely disrespectful.

Reactions: stanley25

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
I absolutely love watching Bianca play.

I also absolutely hate watching Bianca play.

Guess that's a consequence of her being quite entertaining to watch.

:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad