The Other Guys. (newest additions)

NoNachoNoParty

Dec 8, 2011
Montreal
Well then, what do either Flynn or Mitchell bring to this team that we lacked? What positive contributions do either of them make on the ice?

According to natural-stat-trick, Mitchell has played 96 minutes for us. In that time, he's managed to be on ice for an incredible 120 shot attempts against, and just 47 for. That's a shot-attempt bleed rate that's... unfathomably bad. Even for us!

Flynn is barely any better. 64 minutes on ice, 87 attempts against, 42 for. At least we've managed to score 1 G while Flynn was on the ice.

These are two of the very worst sets of possession numbers on the entire team. In fact only Malhotra's numbers are worse!

I know Therrien doesn't preach puck possession, he doesn't even believe in it. But when you take an already bad system, and add two clearly sub-par players to it, you're just making the problem worse, not better.

We would've been better off never acquiring those two, and we'll be better off next season without them. Maybe they'll latch on somewhere else and stink up someone else's 4th line. Don't know, don't care. Neither of them are probably going to have long NHL careers.

Funny thing is, i agree with a lot of your points. I just dont get labelling guys who have dedicated their lives to hockey and have made it to this level as losers.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Deadline pickups

The trio of DSP, Mitchell and Flynn have played a combined 35 games and have produced 1 assist and are a combined -10.
Safe to say that these guys not only are not producing but have affected team chemistry in a bad way...

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Well they were brought in to be good in the playoffs so I won't judge until then. Weise came out during the playoffs, Moore did a few years ago, to a lesser extent so did Lapierre.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The trio of DSP, Mitchell and Flynn have played a combined 35 games and have produced 1 assist and are a combined -10.
Safe to say that these guys not only are not producing but have affected team chemistry in a bad way...

I wouldn't read too much into this, as our very best offensive players are frequently stifled by the bizarre systems installed by Therrien.

Having additional depth for the playoffs is only a good thing.

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
Did they give the goal to Eller instead of Petry yet?

nvm saw the Eller thread.

Last edited:

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Petry is good, but he's not exactly 5 million+ good. That said, I wouldn't mind re-signing him in the ~4-4.5 mil for 4 years. He's a bit like Emelin in that he provides a certain brand of hockey with some flaws. The rest of the acquisitions are strikes and a strike out for the org.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Petry is good, but he's not exactly 5 million+ good. That said, I wouldn't mind re-signing him in the ~4-4.5 mil for 4 years. He's a bit like Emelin in that he provides a certain brand of hockey with some flaws. The rest of the acquisitions are strikes and a strike out for the org.
Agreed... so far. But at least we still have some games for things to turn around. DSP is obviously back next season anyway. I don't see a good argument - yet! - for entertaining any thoughts of bringing Flynn or Mitchell back. This surprises me... I honestly thought on deadline day that they'd chip in at least a little bit and become candidates for spots on the team next season.

Ubercron9000*

why does this keep coming up? How is it that Subban will automatically train this guy and why does it have to be subban. Gallagher trains with Lucic which makes no sense at all, but it is who he trains with.
probably because they are both black. But imo dsp would be best served to train with pacioretty. Since dsp should be training for speed imo. Subban trains for power/strentgh from what i see.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
probably because they are both black. But imo dsp would be best served to train with pacioretty. Since dsp should be training for speed imo. Subban trains for power/strentgh from what i see.

It certainly wouldn't harm Subban's game to also work on his skating.

The entire team needs to work on shot accuracy.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Having additional depth for the playoffs is only a good thing.
"Depth" =/= "AHL-calibre trash who can't contribute in any positive way at the NHL level"

I'd sooner have kept the draft picks than waste them on players of Flynn & Mitchell's calibre. As for DSP/Sekac, that was clearly a Therrien-vendetta-driven move and one that severely dented my confidence in Bergevin's competence to manage this team to #25. All told, we added three junk bottom-6'ers for one useful prospect and two draft picks. That's not a win in any definition of the word.

Petry was a good pickup, but he's a rental. Likely gone in the offseason.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
MB's looking smart after the first game, all of his pickups had a good game. Hopefully they can find a way to re-sign Petry, impressive game from him for his first ever NHL playoff action.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
"Depth" =/= "AHL-calibre trash who can't contribute in any positive way at the NHL level"

I'd sooner have kept the draft picks than waste them on players of Flynn & Mitchell's calibre. As for DSP/Sekac, that was clearly a Therrien-vendetta-driven move and one that severely dented my confidence in Bergevin's competence to manage this team to #25. All told, we added three junk bottom-6'ers for one useful prospect and two draft picks. That's not a win in any definition of the word.

Petry was a good pickup, but he's a rental. Likely gone in the offseason.

Interesting post, looking forward to see how true it is at the end of the POs.

Sniperr

Feb 13, 2015
Mitchell and Flynn: Playoffs edition.

What a way to kick off the playoffs! I think they deserved their own thread. :handclap:

Discuss

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
I was praising MB big time at the trade deadline, thought I was wrong until yesterday, looks pretty good now for a 5th and 7th rounder, can't say I'm a fan of them getting offensive faceoffs though

Sniperr

Feb 13, 2015
One game, don't get too high or low just yet.

They've actually been pretty good for the last couple games of the season, since Pacioretty got injuried actually. I wasn't a fan of the trade but 3 points for Flynn yesterday is about what I expected for entire the playoffs. While DD did nothing our fourth line saved our ass yesterday. Not hyped after one game but I think they deserve the praise.

See it that way, if they start to suck we will still have this thread to **** on them.

Edit: Well, nvm.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Petry is world class number one D in this or any other league. We have 3 number one D on our team and that will be a luxury for this playoff run at least. I think that Mr Petry will head for the US and A on July 1st but lets enjoy it while it lasts.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
I think MB will figure something out and present Petry a decent offer, didnt he do so with Vanek?

It'll probably come down to whether he likes Montreal or not, does he wanna go home in Detroit? At least reports indicate he loves it here, I think the odds of him signing here are way better than they were with Vanek, he'd also be a way better signing than Vanek could've been.

It would be amazing to lock him up for a while.

Em Ancien

Sexy 2nd Rounder
Mar 12, 2008
Mount Real Life
Can they sign Jeff Petry please? We've been playing 'plug the hole' for the number 3 D slot for like 5 years, would be nice to ink a guy that fits all the criteria and has proven he fits in Montreal. Never replaced 2007/2008-2008/2009 Hamrlik and Petry is a righty to boot.

Git'r done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad