Online Series: The Orville : New Horizons - March 10, 2022 on Hulu

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
It was a terrific episode, that I really enjoyed. A couple of thoughts tho

1. It seemed really cruel of Ed to tell Gordon and his wife and kid that fine, we'll go back into the past and grab you there and this life won't exist. They could have just said to Gordon. Enjoy your life, we can't make you go and then gone in the past, and Gordon never knows.

2, It felt like Gordon let them off of the hook really easily in the end, with the whole you did the right thing. His friends had basically ripped him out of paradise, there should have been some resentment there.

3. I'm glad they're not rushing the Isaac Charlie thing. Not even a thawing by her.

The show continues to look and sound really good. The space scenes of the Orville moving are completely gorgeous, and the Orville seems to have a better handle on space battles then Trek.
Is it cruel though? I mean they have temporal laws for a reason and they don't know what they would be coming back to if they left him in the past. You are also comparing Gordon who had been in 2015 for a month to the one that had been for 10 years and have given up ever going back to his time 7 years ago.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
What a packed episode.
We got Kaylon backstory (shown rather than just told this time), laughs, love, character growth, brief satisfaction for Claire, long-awaited softening of Charly, slavery parallels and even a warning about the dangers of toxic femininity. :laugh:

It took me longer than it should've to get the joke when Bortus condemned the Janisi for their sexism. I also didn't expect LaMarr's swollen, bloody face. This show's humor is at its best when it comes out of nowhere.

I imagine that a lesser writer would've left Isaac with permanent feelings and we would've never gotten that emotional scene with Claire needing to choose. Decisions like that show the quality of the writing, IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guardian17

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
It has been a real positive experience this viewing session. Orville has been excellent. I actually get excited for the next episode to drop. They should be proud

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Yesterday, I read an article from 2011 that quoted Seth MacFarlane as saying that he really wanted to do a Star Trek series, but got the feeling that CBS/Paramount wasn't interested in a return to TV and not in his hands. They presumably turned him down, so he made his own "Star Trek" show. What could've been, though. We might've gotten a Star Trek series (or several) as good as The Orville (or even better) if CBS/Paramount had had the courage and foresight to entrust him instead of Alex Kurtzman.

With the way this season is going I am disappointed it will be the last.

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Yesterday, I read an article from 2011 that quoted Seth MacFarlane as saying that he really wanted to do a Star Trek series, but didn't get the feeling that CBS/Paramount was interested in a return to TV and wanted it in his hands. They presumably turned him down, so he made his own "Star Trek" show. What could've been, though. We might've gotten a Star Trek series (or several) as good as The Orville (or even better) if CBS/Paramount had had the courage and foresight to entrust him instead of Alex Kurtzman.

Your post had me look something up as I thought it was him originally that was saying end it at 3. Looks like he might want a next season afterall

The Orville: New Horizons has to prove itself to audiences and Disney execs to be considered for a fourth season.

“I would love it. I know the entire cast is hoping for it. It’s a big question mark for a lot of reasons. It’s not an inexpensive show to produce. It requires an ambitious budget. But the flip side of that is, it’s no more ambitious than half the other streaming shows on television. It really is gonna depend on audience response, on whether the show gets discovered. I still think there are a lot of people who just don’t know that we’re out there and don’t really quite know what we are. And when people sit down and watch the show, they’re almost always surprised, and it almost always upends their expectations. Probably because it’s me (laughs), probably because most of what I’ve done in the past has been very different, but it’s dependent on audience response. At the end of the day, it’s a business. It’s dependent on whether we’re worth something to Disney and to the platform that we’re on.”

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That was another really enjoyable episode. It was long, pretty much movie length, but didn't feel like it.
There were a few things that didn't make a lot of sense, like the Moclun knowing that Topa knew things when she learned them literally minutes earlier and Mercer and the Orville returning all the way to Earth when Kelly and Bortus were missing, but it was still enjoyable.

A little thing that I appreciated is that Dolly and the Klyden actor weren't in the opening credits, so their appearances were more of a surprise. It's always irritated me just a little when shows, including TNG, spoil everyone in them up front.

The end scene was a nice callback to the scene earlier in the season when Kelly was dining with them, got kicked out by Klyden and didn't finish her meal. This series strikes a great balance between serialized and self-contained episodes, IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: wej20

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Can't go wrong with Dolly.

Funny, this was more or less like the real world equivalent of a "gay Russia" getting caught for shitty things and getting ostracized by the international community for their actions.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
That was another really enjoyable episode. It was long, pretty much movie length, but didn't feel like it.
There were a few things that didn't make a lot of sense, like the Moclun knowing that Topa knew things when she learned them literally minutes earlier and Mercer and the Orville returning all the way to Earth when Kelly and Bortus were missing, but it was still enjoyable.

A little thing that I appreciated is that Dolly and the Klyden actor weren't in the opening credits, so their appearances were more of a surprise. It's always irritated me just a little when shows, including TNG, spoil everyone in them up front.

The end scene was a nice callback to the scene earlier in the season when Kelly was dining with them, got kicked out by Klyden and didn't finish her meal. This series strikes a great balance between serialized and self-contained episodes, IMO.
I also think shows like TNG (for example) kind of had to because they were advertised a week in advance. When you were so reliant on ratings (rather than streaming subscribers), getting a bump from having Spock in an episode was important to both your continued existence and your budget. So for the most part I would guess most of those guest spots were already spoiled well before the show actually aired.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

"Soon" means August 10th, according to the article. Obviously, this means in the U.S. and other countries where it's not already on Disney+. This is great news. More people will be able to watch it soon, which could increase demand for a Season 4.
Funny thing, the versions I've been downloading, have Finnish subtitles built in as an option. The new season isn't on Disney+ here yet.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Today's episode was, by far, the best episode of The Orville series.

The writing was superb.

The hero had a tremendous character arc and finished her tale with flourish.

Oh, and she happened to be a lesbian, but, unlike Discovery or Picard, her sexual preference wasn't rammed down our throats at every opportunity.

She was written as a normal person and not a checkmark in some woke box.

This episode is in my top tier Star Trek episodes like Best of Both Worlds and Yesterday's Enterprise.

To the writers I say "well done" and I hope you get another season. :thumbu:

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptainCrunch67

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I expected the penultimate episode to be a lot of build up, but that actually felt like a season finale with its large-scale battles, big twists and key character deaths. It makes me wonder what's in store for the actual finale.
That memorial was better and more poignant than the cringey ones in nuTrek. For one, it was a character that we really got to know throughout the season. Contrast that with a few nuTrek characters (one very recently on Strange New Worlds) who received barely any development until just a few episodes before their deaths and memorials.

I don't know about these Kaylon. I was firmly in the pro-genocide camp. If the Union had exterminated them when they had the chance, Charly would still be alive to look at. Was gaining a powerful ally really worth losing their most attractive crew member after Bortus?

Last edited:

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
If Disney has any misgivings about renewing the show , Seth McFarlan should show this latest episode to the decision makers in a small private theater. Incredible episode.

Edit: On second thought , I wonder if their reaction would be " and....how much did this cost?" 😄

Last edited:
Reactions: Bakayoko Ono

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Those space battles, something we never really saw often in Star Trek other than episodes like the battle at Wolf 359. I mean just so many ships on screen and then to go kind of Star Wars X-Wing battle with the small ships that was introduced in the first episode of the season and we finally get to see in action.

Then there is Charly's arc from totally hating Isaac and all Kaylon because of the death of her best friend Amanda. She learned to temper her hatred and the nuance that not all Kaylon are evil and in the end she did her duty and saved the "race" she hated. I wonder how much of her decision was based on knowing that it could create peace and a change in the Kaylon and that she was the only one that could do it. She seemed to also have accepted her fate and believed possibly in the afterlife with her last words telling Amanda she was coming.

The actress who played the character, Anne Winters, did a great job.

Charly Burke was revealed in Deadline on November 4, 2019.[12] In an August 17, 2021 with Flaunt, Winters spoke candidly - albeit briefly - about the character:

Charly Burke is a badass navigator who can visualize multiple dimensions faster and more accurately than anyone else aboard The Orville [sic]. She’s smart, and challenging, very excited for people to get to see this new role. Charly is very different from any other character I’ve played in the past.[13]
To prepare for the role and to better understand how Charly sees in four dimensions, Winters watched YouTube videos on mathematics and physics.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
This weeks episode was fantastic.

The writers of Discovery and Picard should study this episode on how to present a "woke" topic.

It's not perfect, but, it's poignant and entertaining without the lecture.

Show A:
A very obvious gay couple live in NY city as get into daily hijinks with their friends. The show does not explicitly say that the couple is gay, but it is told through their actions that they are.

Show B:
A gay couple living in NY city get into daily hijinks with their friends. It is explained to the viewer, via narrations by the characters, that they live homosexual lifestyles.

Both shows present roughly the same premise, a gay couple living in NY who get into funny situations.

The only difference are the narrative styles. One chooses to talk openly about the homosexual nature of the couple, while the other doesn't.

The way you present your arguments make it seem like the show is only good if they don't talk about the subject matter at hand. The ol' "It's ok to be gay............just don't talk about it" argument that has found new life in some circles in the last number of years.

I personally do not like Picard or DISC. But I will not slam the two shows for openly talking about homosexuality, because that's not where the problem lies. Their problems are plot structure, the writing of the characters, and lack of coordination and direction.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
The way you present your arguments make it seem like the show is only good if they don't talk about the subject matter at hand. The ol' "It's ok to be gay............just don't talk about it" argument that has found new life in some circles in the last number of years.

I personally do not like Picard or DISC. But I will not slam the two shows for openly talking about homosexuality, because that's not where the problem lies. Their problems are plot structure, the writing of the characters, and lack of coordination and direction.

You have completely misrepresented what I was saying.

Like most people, I don't care if a show is "openly talking about homosexuality" or any woke topic at all.

My dislike is when the writers lack the skill to treat woke characters as regular human beings instead of caricatures.

You're trying to change my words so it can feed into you're "woke topic-phobic" narrative.

I assume you'll brand me a Nazi next. :laugh:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
You have completely misrepresented what I was saying.

Like most people, I don't care if a show is "openly talking about homosexuality" or any woke topic at all.

My dislike is when the writers lack the skill to treat woke characters as regular human beings instead of caricatures.

You're trying to change my words so it can feed into you're "woke topic-phobic" narrative.

I assume you'll brand me a Nazi next. :laugh:
So you have a problem with the lack of character development, and how that development is portrayed via the medium. That's fine, there is nothing wrong with that. You could have just said that if you have no issues with the characters being gay.

However, you described how a class of people were written as 'woke'. There is no hiding how the word has been weaponized in recent years by certain groups to describe their obvious dislike for progressive talking points.

And no, I'm not going to call you a Nazi. But I do want to know why you can't critique the two shows on their bad writing and character devopment, without using weaponized, reactionary talking points.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad