Online Series: The Orville : New Horizons - March 10, 2022 on Hulu

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
And it begins!

Production on season two has begun, and an Instagram post from costume designer Ivy Thaide has confirmed that Joe Menosky—who worked on Star Trek: Discovery but is best known to Trek fans as the writer behind one of The Next Generation’s most iconic episodes, “Darmok”—has joined the show as a writer and executive producer.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
The first episode was a bit rocky, other than that one episode though the rest of the season was pretty good

The strongest episodes were If the Stars Should Appear, and, Into the Fold.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
The best was: "Sokath, his eyes opened" when Picard finally understood their language. Terrific episode.
I'm looking forward to more Orville after the disaster that was Discovery.

Your post would have been much better if you had only posted the bolded. I lobbed it across the plate, but you couldn't quite hit it out of the park :)

Reactions: peate

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I'd like to see an episode where they are charged with sexual assault due to the episode where they drugged the negotiators in to having sex.

That episode was so Weinstein/Cosby.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'd like to see an episode where they are charged with sexual assault due to the episode where they drugged the negotiators in to having sex.

That episode was so Weinstein/Cosby.

It's wrong only if you drug them to have sex with you. It's OK and is even funny if you drug two other people into having sex with each other. That was my moral takeaway.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
It's wrong only if you drug them to have sex with you. It's OK and is even funny if you drug two other people into having sex with each other. That was my moral takeaway.

So I can now drug other people in to having sex as long as I do not participate?

I'm pretty sure the courts would have a problem with that.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
ThePhoenixx said:
So I can now drug other people in to having sex as long as I do not participate?

I'm pretty sure the courts would have a problem with that.

You're thinking of the draconian 21st century courts. In the 25th century, the courts are hesitant to get involved with what two people who love each other do in the privacy of their own homes, even when that love comes from a gland, which is still all natural.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePhoenixx

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
You're thinking of the draconian 21st century courts. In the 25th century, the courts are hesitant to intercede between what two people who love each other do in the privacy of their own homes, even when that love comes from a gland, which is perfectly natural.

Such an enlightened time.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
There are no "bad" Orville episodes, IMO, only less good ones. I would take any of the less good ones over the "best" Discovery episodes any day.
I agree.

Parodies of Star Trek are better and more relevant than actual Star Trek these days.

USS Callister was also better than any episode of Discovery. There's a Galaxy Quest show coming out soon. I'm sure that will be better than Discovery as well.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
From the trailer, it looks like the show got a budget increase. The CGI looks noticeably higher quality than Season 1 and the visuals, in general, seem a little nicer.

I agree. Parodies of Star Trek are better and more relevant than actual Star Trek these days.

USS Callister was also better than any episode of Discovery. There's a Galaxy Quest show coming out soon. I'm sure that will be better than Discovery as well.

This trailer is also better than the Discovery Season 2 trailer. For one, there's actual orchestral music, not modern whatever-you-call-it. You'd expect the Star Trek series to have the orchestral score and the parody to have the hip, modern music, not the other way around.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
From the trailer, it looks like the show got a budget increase. The CGI looks noticeably higher quality than Season 1 and the visuals, in general, seem a little nicer.

This trailer is also better than the Discovery Season 2 trailer. For one, there's actual orchestral music, not modern whatever-you-call-it. You'd expect the Star Trek series to have the orchestral score and the parody to have the hip, modern music, not the other way around.

Seth said in the panel at CC that each episode looks very "cinematic" now.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Heh, in that trailer you have Picardo (Alara's dad) shooting Seth. I wonder if that's the episode Halston leave the show.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
She was cast in a Netflix show, so they think she won't be in season 2 much at all.

It's actually a film, so she might be available again for Season 3. For Season 2, it appears that she's been replaced by Jessica Szohr, who also plays a Xalayan. It sounds like the Orville visits the planet Xalaya in Episode 2, so they may pick up their new security officer then, leaving Alara behind. It's kind of funny how closely the show mimics TNG and, here, pretty coincidentally, it has its own Crusher-Pulaski swap in Season 2.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I will say that the Orville tries and largely succeeds in mixing interesting sci-fi plots with Seth’s sarcastic humour.

What surprised me was how hopeful and optimistic the show still manages to be.

Discovery (not to try and throw this thread off topic too much) has the same problem as most of the DC movies in that it tries too hard to be dark and brooding.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Couldn't make it past the 3rd episode. I don't know why, the show just didn't grab me.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
With Seth's close relationship with Patrick Stewart is there a chance he shows up in this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad