Online Series: The Orville : New Horizons - March 10, 2022 on Hulu

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Show A:
A very obvious gay couple live in NY city as get into daily hijinks with their friends. The show does not explicitly say that the couple is gay, but it is told through their actions that they are.

Show B:
A gay couple living in NY city get into daily hijinks with their friends. It is explained to the viewer, via narrations by the characters, that they live homosexual lifestyles.

Both shows present roughly the same premise, a gay couple living in NY who get into funny situations.

The only difference are the narrative styles. One chooses to talk openly about the homosexual nature of the couple, while the other doesn't.

The way you present your arguments make it seem like the show is only good if they don't talk about the subject matter at hand. The ol' "It's ok to be gay............just don't talk about it" argument that has found new life in some circles in the last number of years.

I personally do not like Picard or DISC. But I will not slam the two shows for openly talking about homosexuality, because that's not where the problem lies. Their problems are plot structure, the writing of the characters, and lack of coordination and direction.
I think that you misunderstood the post that you quoted. The episode that he was commenting on was about sex change, not homosexuality, and he was praising it for openly talking about that timely issue in an intelligent, non-lecturing way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guardian17

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
However, you described how a class of people were written as 'woke'. There is no hiding how the word has been weaponized in recent years by certain groups to describe their obvious dislike for progressive talking points.

And no, I'm not going to call you a Nazi. But I do want to know why you can't critique the two shows on their bad writing and character devopment, without using weaponized, reactionary talking points.

Because anytime someone speaks about a woke topic people start telling them the words they are using are weaponized! :laugh:

By telling me that my words are "weaponized" or "reactionary" what you're really doing is trying to shut me up.

You are afraid of ideas.

Instead of having a polite, intellectual discussion, you try to shut me down by implying the words I choose to using are harmful because "certain groups," that you refuse to name, use them!

This is not a forum where only you get to pick and choose which words are acceptable.

And it is arrogant of you to proclaim which words are "weaponized" or reactionary."

I welcome my ideas being challenged, it's how I learn.

Do NOT attempt to demonize me in order to silence me because you don't like the fact that I made some comments that challenge your ideas.

Have a great day! :)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I don't think that RobBrown4PM is trying to silence you. People who try to silence others generally don't reason with them and encourage them to explain themselves. It seems to me that he is trying to have a polite, intellectual discussion and could be a lot less polite, especially now. :laugh:

Last edited:

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I don't think that RobBrown4PM is trying to silence you. People who try to silence others generally don't reason with them and encourage them to explain themselves. It seems to me that he is trying to have a polite, intellectual discussion and could be a lot less polite, especially now. :laugh:

True! :thumbu:

But, it is a slippery slope when someone tries to limit or control the language use of their opponent. :nod:

I'm just glad he agreed not to call me a Nazi! :laugh:

I'M BEING SILENCED!!!

:laugh:

d7003385-e13d-457d-b31a-fbbb554512b6_text.gif

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Because anytime someone speaks about a woke topic people start telling them the words they are using are weaponized! :laugh:

By telling me that my words are "weaponized" or "reactionary" what you're really doing is trying to shut me up.

You are afraid of ideas.

Instead of having a polite, intellectual discussion, you try to shut me down by implying the words I choose to using are harmful because "certain groups," that you refuse to name, use them!

This is not a forum where only you get to pick and choose which words are acceptable.

And it is arrogant of you to proclaim which words are "weaponized" or reactionary."

I welcome my ideas being challenged, it's how I learn.

Do NOT attempt to demonize me in order to silence me because you don't like the fact that I made some comments that challenge your ideas.

Have a great day! :)

I am most certainly not trying to demonize you, my friend. I am attempting to get you to explain your position. I do believe that you have valid arguments against DISC and PICARD. However, you're using terminology that has been used over, and over, and over again, by reactionary talking heads, legislators, autocrats, and many others who have amplified their arguments for regressive policy making with terminology such as 'Woke'; on the basis that they find things like homosexuality counter-productive (and much worse) in society. I believe Orville was targeted by some of these entities prior to this season airing.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I am most certainly not trying to demonize you, my friend. I am attempting to get you to explain your position. I do believe that you have valid arguments against DISC and PICARD. However, you're using terminology that has been used over, and over, and over again, by reactionary talking heads, legislators, autocrats, and many others who have amplified their arguments for regressive policy making with terminology such as 'Woke'; on the basis that they find things like homosexuality counter-productive (and much worse) in society. I believe Orville was targeted by some of these entities prior to this season airing.

Fair enough.

But just because "reactionary talking heads, legislators, autocrats" use these words does not disqualify anyone else from using them.

Otherwise, all one needs to do to silence their opposition is say, "Well, this reactionary talking head, legislator, autocrat used this terminology, so you must be a reactionary talking head, legislator, autocrat as well."

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
It was going to be very difficult for this week's final episode to match the brilliance of last weeks offering.

It had some good moments and a nice cameo at the end.

I felt it ran a little too long.

Nevertheless, I hope the Orville returns for another season.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It disappointed me a little, to be honest. I expected the finale to have more going on and higher stakes, especially considering the length. It felt like an early season episode. That said, it was a still a nice way to wrap up things. Malloy even got his sandwich back. What a relief that the writers didn't leave that plot thread hanging.

I was struggling all episode to remember who Lysella was. She looked vaguely familiar, but I couldn't remember anything about her previous appearance. Apparently, it was all the way back in Season 1, 5 years ago.

Guardian17 said:
Nevertheless, I hope the Orville returns for another season.
Any hope that Disney would renew it might've ended when the Isaac nipple tassels came out. :laugh:

Last edited:

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Issac inviting almost all the Kaylon population, some 4000 ships!
The best part was the body language on the bridge when he got the "What are you thinking" from Claire. Then he did the slow turn to his console. If you didn't see it, go back and watch it. Its brilliant.

Reactions: Bakayoko Ono

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
That felt like a series finale, hopefully it wasn't.
Right now MacFarlane says he gives a renewal a 50-50chance and fans can help.

There’s some trickiness [in making another season]. But, look, the actors are the easy part. [The trickier part is,] 'How do I work it into everything else that’s now going on?' I will say that I get as emotionally invested in the show as any of the fans, so I will find a way to do it if there is a Season 4.”

“[The renewal odds are] 50-50. My hope is that when the show drops on Disney+, the people who haven’t yet discovered [The Orville] will suddenly give it a chance. That’s a potential game changer for us. I think that creatively and audience-wise, when people sit down and give the show a chance, it upends their expectations. The biggest burden with the show is preconceptions. People think it’s one thing — there are people out there who think it’s a sitcom — and when they sit down to watch it they realize its something completely different. Once you get people’s eyeballs on it, the show does the work, its speaks for itself, and people tend to be hooked.”

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Just finished the third season, really enjoyed it.

Felt like it could have been a finale but they do have some lead ins for a fourth season.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Seems people are reporting it as so but the excutive they are basing this off had pretty neutral comments.

"We don’t have anything to share right now. It’s a great show and I know that the fans loved having it back in their lives. And Seth [MacFarlane] did a great job, uniquely as he can, in front of and behind the camera. But we don’t have anything to share right now."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad