The One Where McDavid Returned & We Played Columbus!

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Considering how nepotistic the NHL is, I would be shocked if they actually hired a real design firm.

It's very likely a former players nephew who wasn't good enough to land an actual job at a firm, so was gifted the job.

Probably done at no cost, simply 'exposure' for the designer.

I have plenty of $200k a year Design friends that laugh at this stuff. They spend their lunches looking and laughing, and picking apart everything wrong with it, like sweet candy morsels.

Here's a bunch of real WebDevs ripping into it on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/**********/comments/43oml2/fire_whoever_made_the_new_nhl_website/
Funny stuff on that Reddit link. People who actually know how to make it better must be so frustrated using such a sub-standard product.

Regarding the nephew theory, someone on that Reddit link says its a copy of MLB website. Which goes to figure. ****ing baseball.

Anyway, if anyone finds a good site with highlights and box scores that will load up in under three minutes please post the link.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Ok well eye test tells me he's been the 4th best dman we have and that is only because of Fayne playing good recently. He was 3rd until Fayne woke the hell up.

Fayne and Sekera have been playing good hockey lately. Its not a surprise though. Sekera has made some bad turnovers in the past, but anybody who plays with him gets better.

While anybody who plays with Schultz ends up turning into a tire fire in the oilers own zone, since Schultz turns into Jultz and proceeds to turn over the puck.
I remember watching a game where the oilers were in their own zone. Nurse had the puck and passed it around the boards behind the net to Schultz. Schultz passed it right to the middle to an opposing forward who had a good chance on the damn net. That's why I hate Schultz. :laugh:

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Considering how nepotistic the NHL is, I would be shocked if they actually hired a real design firm.

It's very likely a former players nephew who wasn't good enough to land an actual job at a firm, so was gifted the job.

Probably done at no cost, simply 'exposure' for the designer.

I have plenty of $200k a year Design friends that laugh at this stuff. They spend their lunches looking and laughing, and picking apart everything wrong with it, like sweet candy morsels.

Here's a bunch of real WebDevs ripping into it on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/**********/comments/43oml2/fire_whoever_made_the_new_nhl_website/

You actually know Designers making $200k a year?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Fayne and Sekera have been playing good hockey lately. Its not a surprise though. Sekera has made some bad turnovers in the past, but anybody who plays with him gets better.

While anybody who plays with Schultz ends up turning into a tire fire in the oilers own zone, since Schultz turns into Jultz and proceeds to turn over the puck.
I remember watching a game where the oilers were in their own zone. Nurse had the puck and passed it around the boards behind the net to Schultz. Schultz passed it right to the middle to an opposing forward who had a good chance on the damn net. That's why I hate Schultz. :laugh:

I've forgotten about Fayne's existence over the last ten or so games for the most part.

In his case that's a great thing. He's at his best when he's in full 'Cloak of Invisibility' mode.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I've forgotten about Fayne's existence over the last ten or so games for the most part.

In his case that's a great thing. He's at his best when he's in full 'Cloak of Invisibility' mode.

Too bad Schultz can't do the same. He'll play good for one game and turn into the classic Jultz for the long list of next.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

I swear that every time I see Schultz standing behind the net back on his heels with one hand on his stick staring blankly up ice it shaves 6 months off my life due to the sudden spike in blood pressure it causes.

If the Oilers don't trade him soon I won't make it to 40. :laugh:

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I swear that every time I see Schultz standing behind the net back on his heels with one hand on his stick staring blankly up ice it shaves 6 months off my life due to the sudden spike in blood pressure it causes.

If the Oilers don't trade him soon I won't make it to 40. :laugh:

I can tell if any opposing forward forechecks against him, he turns it over. Its sad how soft he is. Don't let me get started on his QB PP work though. :laugh:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
You actually know Designers making $200k a year?

The guys I know and one is a UX Director at Sap Labs and another is a Lead UI guy at Sid Lee (Both are world class award winning design firms).

The average in New York is $120k a year
https://logbook.hanno.co/ux-designer-salaries-around-the-world/

Average is what you pay for if you want 'Mediocre'.

I would be shocked if the Lead UX guys at Apple and Google made anything less than half a million a year.

For the crap on NHL.com, it's an unoptimized and unintuitive mess that's also managed to be an eyesore. That can be made for free by a high school student, or an unpaid summer intern.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad