Sportsnet: The one summer deal Leafs’ Nonis would do again

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Pretty sure his minutes have been increasing as his legs have gotten under him.

Only in Toronto can you be one of the better defensive defenders on the team and still be called mediocre defensively...

Only in Toronto can a #1 D-Man (Phaneuf) be called a second pairing guy at best :laugh

Leafs D are constantly under appreciated.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
I'll take Nonis' opinion on our need for leadership over yours since, you know, he actually has an idea of what goes on in the locker room and what our leadership is like.

Yeah Nonis totally isn't biased when it comes to judging the quality of Nonis' signings. No tire-pumping here.

Robidas is a mediocre defenseman (now; he used to be better) buoyed by above-average goaltending. He doesn't score, doesn't move the puck well and doesn't play particularly tough minutes. Of course if you think he's going to maintain his .955 5v5 on-ice sv%...

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
robidas has been improving steadily and has been very effective for the last month.

as expected.

this guy has been a quality top pair dman on good teams his whole career, right up until he broke his leg last year.

havingna guy like this as a depth dman is a huge luxury.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Santorelli is far more important to this team than Robidas.

Relevance? They play different positions, Robidas has played hundreds of more games than Santorelli, has achieved more and plays a different type of game. We can't we have both?

I love Santorelli but this irks me. Robidas has flaws (who doesn't) but he has helped stabilize the leadership group in ways than Santorelli simply can't. I've been hard on Dion's leadership but he had minimal help while Sundin had Roberts and co. Work ethic helps, Santo, Winnik, Komarov bring that every game. But Robidas brings a mountain of experience for Gardiner and Reilly, and soon Percy/Finn/Granberg or whoever.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Guys, Robi was coming off some bad injuries... He started slow and Leaf fans love to scapegoat.

Bottom line is he has been rock steady recently and is now sitting 3rd on the team at +12!

Plus the "intangibles" that we don't see that hopefully rubs off on Rielly, who is the D's future.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Am I the only one that is happy with the Robidas signing? I think he's just the veteran presence this team needs. The Leafs need a guy like Robidas to help the young D we have and 3 mil is nothing. Espeically since his deal is front loaded. 4 mil the first year and 1 mill less each subsequent year.

If we have to buy him out the last year of his deal, then so be it...a 2 year 500k buyout...not the end of the world.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
what an idiot nonis is.

robidas is ~~37 years old and he coming off a major injury to his legs. nonis goes and gives him $3 million x 3 years. how is that a good contract? i agree he is a classy guy and has a lot of leadership qualities but imo they are < cap space and roster freedom.

im sure if nonis offered him $5 million for a 1 year deal he would have taken it gladly. i dont get the feeling teams were lining up for him.

If he can play til hes 40, than he'll be worth the 3 million. If he can't, then he'll retire. Robi is smart and will not stick around in this league past his playable years.

mpolo

Aug 20, 2007
Just compare him to Ranger from last year and ask if he brings value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad