Sportsnet: The one summer deal Leafs’ Nonis would do again

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
The disaster in Edmonton right now, in my opinion, is partly because they don't have any players like Robidas.

I'm glad we have him on the team. He contributes more than people think he does, and that interview with Nonis shows that a little bit.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
Robidas is a warrior out there. Takes hits (big hits at times) to get the puck out of the zone and gets right back up. Plays physical, decent skater and the aura around him seems to be rubbing off on some guys. Good mentor and partner for Rielly.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Robidas is a warrior out there. Takes hits (big hits at times) to get the puck out of the zone and gets right back up. Plays physical, decent skater and the aura around him seems to be rubbing off on some guys. Good mentor and partner for Rielly.

I agree, Robidas was a good signing. Not great, just good. :nod:

I just wish we'd have acquired him about 4-5 years ago! ;)

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
what an idiot nonis is.

robidas is ~~37 years old and he coming off a major injury to his legs. nonis goes and gives him $3 million x 3 years. how is that a good contract? i agree he is a classy guy and has a lot of leadership qualities but imo they are < cap space and roster freedom.

im sure if nonis offered him $5 million for a 1 year deal he would have taken it gladly. i dont get the feeling teams were lining up for him.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
what an idiot nonis is.

robidas is ~~37 years old and he coming off a major injury to his legs. nonis goes and gives him $3 million x 3 years. how is that a good contract? i agree he is a classy guy and has a lot of leadership qualities but imo they are < cap space and roster freedom.

im sure if nonis offered him $5 million for a 1 year deal he would have taken it gladly. i dont get the feeling teams were lining up for him.

im pretty sure there was.....

and if we didn't have him everyone would be saying "we dont have enough character on the backend with bonehead phaneuf, shoulda signed robidas idc how long i would have given him 4*4"

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
The disaster in Edmonton right now, in my opinion, is partly because they don't have any players like Robidas.

I'm glad we have him on the team. He contributes more than people think he does, and that interview with Nonis shows that a little bit.
Who needs character defensemen when you can have many small, talented forwards though!

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010

Agreed with this. Great addition, very happy to have him on our team.

what an idiot nonis is.

Not true at all. 3x3 is a solid contract, his leadership is very important and a big part of our success. Player like Robidas are always welcome and needed on any team.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Personally I would take Santorelli over Robidad every day.

I think Nonis is just covering for an overpriced signing. I agree that he's very important as a mentor for the kids, but having a mediocre defender making 3 million on the bottom pairing definitely hurts and may get in the way of re-signing key players this summer.

danron1376

Jan 3, 2011
what an idiot nonis is.

heard he wouldn't have signed without the 3rd year added on. of course Nonis could have said no

Durkin67

what an idiot nonis is.

As of today, they Leafs have 900 000 in cap space. A one year deal for five million doesn't work economically, and at 37, Robidas would be less worried about money than security over the next two or three years.

Nonis is not an idiot, nor did he decide alone on this particular issue. This gives the Leafs some stability on the back end for the next few years...no problems with this signing.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Robidas signing is bad as of now. He provides nothing which players like Holzer can't. He has tons of experience and is providing good support to the team so lets see how he does that in post season.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Robidas signing is bad as of now. He provides nothing which players like Holzer can't. He has tons of experience and is providing good support to the team so lets see how he does that in post season.

what leadership and intangibles does Holzer bring exactly.

We aren't on the bench, we aren't at practice and we aren't in the dressing room.

We talk about intangibles (Clarskon ya right) but Robidas does bring something extra.

RadekBong

Sep 27, 2009
Toronto, Canada
what an idiot nonis is.

I'll take Nonis' opinion on our need for leadership over yours since, you know, he actually has an idea of what goes on in the locker room and what our leadership is like.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
As of today, they Leafs have 900 000 in cap space. A one year deal for five million doesn't work economically, and at 37, Robidas would be less worried about money than security over the next two or three years.

Nonis is not an idiot, nor did he decide alone on this particular issue. This gives the Leafs some stability on the back end for the next few years...no problems with this signing.

Definitely would have wanted less term for a 3 year deal though...

Our cap situation is troubling to me... We need to get rid of CLarkson somehow it would solve so many issues.

Although... I do wanna see what Clarky brings in a playoff series... But i dont think he will do much. ..Anyways this isnt a clarkson thread but yeah Robias is probably one of are worst contracts right now. Still the guy makes a nice pairing with Rielly.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
Definitely would have wanted less term for a 3 year deal though...

Our cap situation is troubling to me... We need to get rid of CLarkson somehow it would solve so many issues.

Although... I do wanna see what Clarky brings in a playoff series... But i dont think he will do much. ..Anyways this isnt a clarkson thread but yeah Robias is probably one of are worst contracts right now. Still the guy makes a nice pairing with Rielly.

Seriously?

3x3 for a solid #4 defenceman with intangible and leadership who brings a lot in term of leadership for the team and in helping our young defenceman developing is a bad contract?

Robidas has been a very solid add to our team.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Lol at you guys *****ing and moaning about Robidas. He's starting to find his game and he's not been as bad as a lot of you rag on him for. If we didn't sign him people would be saying we need guys like him on the team. It's really a no win situation being a leaf fan.

He's not really regressed even at 37, still plays hard every time on the ice. One of those players you have to make sure is on the ice if your the opposing team or your going to get decked. And one of those guys that will take a hit to make a play, something that seems to be rubbing off on the other players who last season seemed reluctant to do so.

I would defiantly say his presence has been much more positive then negative and the contract doesn't bother me as much as the Jake Gardiner contract, regardless of age.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Seriously?

3x3 for a solid #4 defenceman with intangible and leadership who brings a lot in term of leadership for the team and in helping our young defenceman developing is a bad contract?

Robidas has been a very solid add to our team.

Sounds like the crap people say about Clarkson when he was signed.

5.25x7 for a solid #2 winger with intangible and leadership who brings a lot in term of leadership for the team and in helping our young forwards developing is a bad contract?

yeah. Plus he was coming off of 2 broken legs in a span of a few months and he's on the wrong side of 30, and his body has been through alot.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014

By the way when taking hits, robidas body movement is very striking. I think its one of the best I've seen. He is really mobile and flexable. That's why he can take the body and also give some at times. Good shape and joy to watch at times.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
Sounds like the crap people say about Clarkson when he was signed.

5.25x7 for a solid #2 winger with intangible and leadership who brings a lot in term of leadership for the team and in helping our young forwards developing is a bad contract?

yeah. Plus he was coming off of 2 broken legs in a span of a few months and he's on the wrong side of 30, and his body has been through alot.

There's a différence between 3x3 and 5.25x7.

Robidas play has improved a lot since the beginning of the season, doing a very solid #4 defenseman job, while bringing leadership and help for our young defenceman. That's not what is considered a bad contract.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007

Your 2nd point just disproved your first point.

Robidas isn't here to lead the team. He is a support player. He uses his knowledge and experience to teach the younger guys and he has done a great job working with Rielly.

Robidas is an excellent addition to this team as he can work with Phaneuf as well as any other defenceman on our team.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Also, I will never understand people's obsession with not having any players 30 years or older on the team.

Chicago, LA, etc all have had Robidas type players.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Pretty sure his minutes have been increasing as his legs have gotten under him.

Only in Toronto can you be one of the better defensive defenders on the team and still be called mediocre defensively...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad