The once-new "what's going on with Panarin" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Nash, Foote, Carter, Bob, Panarin...who's next? What is the problem here? How can Pitt, Det, etc get and keep good players but every good player walks from the CBJ?
They win , they have won cups. Established the cities as legitimate hockey markets . For 10 years this organization was a laughing stock of the nhl, and the past 5 jarmo and Jd are trying to change perception . Biggest way that changes , is to break thru

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Maybe its just me but from what Panarin says he sure sounds like he just truly doesn't know what he wants long term. Much like DSL stated earlier in the week. :dunno:

I came away more optimistic from 9's interview than 72's though. And I’ve been a negative Nancy about Panarin from the beginning, LOL

Last edited:

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
They win , they have won cups. Established the cities as legitimate hockey markets . For 10 years this organization was a laughing stock of the nhl, and the past 5 jarmo and Jd are trying to change perception . Biggest way that changes , is to break thru
Yes but you eventually have to have good players stay to have the breakthrough.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Both are as good as gone, but Panarin is trying to safe face and be a nice guy, where Bob is stone cold - "this team", man..

I think the decisions they've made seem nearly identical. Not necessarily for the same reasons, but with the same "ends", free agency. It also seems as if BOTH guys have been up front with the FO with what their "demands" or "intentions" are. 1 was just always more "open" to the public or perceived as possible, whereas (MOST people :wg:) saw Bobrovsky leaving the CBJ as (for some reason) a less likely possibility.

But really the biggest difference to me is simply that Bob is the 1 actually speaking English not a translator. Its MUCH easier for Panarin and (mainly) the translator to be "diplomatic".

All of these high potential/"boom or bust" type goalies drafted recently should have been all the "hint" you should have needed. And if anything, I can see Panarin not bothered by "things" during the year, but even as Bob has asked nicely, how is he going to handle the "bumps" in the road during the season, whether on the ice, or in the locker room in Montreal or New York after losing letting in 4 goals? The 'CBJ writers' might go easy for the sake of Bob/the team, but that will NOT be the case in other places. Especially after this interview.

"Composure" is the 1 thing even the fanniest of fanboys of Bob will admit he has issues with.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJWennberg10

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Nash, Foote, Carter, Bob, Panarin...who's next? What is the problem here? How can Pitt, Det, etc get and keep good players but every good player walks from the CBJ?

While these situations are all similar in that they were "high profile" players that were CBJ players for a period of time, the ACTUAL time they spent on the CBJ or the ACTUAL reasons why they "walked" couldn't be much more different.

When Seth Jones askes out, THEN we can get the Kool-Aid and organize a "meet up" and do what we gotta do.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Maybe its just me but from what Panarin says he sure sounds like he just truly doesn't know what he wants long term. Much like DSL stated earlier in the week. :dunno:

I came away more optimistic from 9's interview then 72's though. And I’ve been a negative Nancy about Panarin from the beginning, LOL

Why does Artemi have to be so damn lovable??

Its because of the translator. Essentially saying what people "want to hear" without really giving ANY actual insight.

Bob was the opposite, on all levels. I cant fault the dude for being honest. He says he doesn't want to talk about the contract stuff now/going into the season, but part of me feels like maybe he was so "up front" now, because he's a bit bothered that nobody has been asking or talking ABOUT HIM during the summer. Its been all, "Panarin this, Panarin that". Nobody has been thinking or saying, "Its BOBS right, to go to free agency".

If Bob was 'smirking' and winking off camera during his interview, like Panarin was, would you consider it "lovable"?

What we got in the Bob interview was everything we "learned" about Panarin over the summer, in an up front 2 min condensed video, in a "cold" Russian accent.

Last edited:

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Could you please give a 1 sentence description on why YOU believe each of those 5 guys "walked" from the CBJ?

Why does it have to be limited to one sentence? I don't know for sure why those guys left but here are my guesses.

Nash - Tired of losing. Didn't want his entire career to be considered a loser.
Foote - Signed as UFA. Loved Colorado. Didn't like the cloudiness of Cbus and family missed friends in CO. Plus he is a dick and had no problems abandoning his team.
Carter - Casrter is all about Carter and wanted to be in a flashy place where he could party.
Bob - Don't know but it will piss me off if he leaves because CBJ allowed him to resurrect his career and get to the point where he could sign a huge multi year contract. He should have some loyalty to the team just for that.
Panarin - I am sure there could be pages and pages speculating about this and no one will still know. Oh wait...this is already page 19!

Why is Jones special? He was traded to the CBJ without his permission.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Most teams develop their players. A lot on the list of guys who wanted out we acquired (exception is Nash and I'll comment on that later). But Foote thought he could change culture and couldn't. I think he was ok with Columbus, just organization was a mess.
Carter had no interest in being here. Stupid trade by CBJ giving up Jake for a guy who had just signed a long term deal.
Bob wants to be here (IMO) but I think the CBJ just don't want to sign a 30 year old goalie to a mega deal.
Panarin sounds like he wants to be someplace else. He's not a golfer and no kids in school. Doesn't mean he hates Columbus, he just has the opportunity to go (via UFA) to a more desireable location.

Nash - I think he loved Columbus. His issue was too many people (himself included) tried to turn him into a leader. He's just a quiet guy, doesn't mean he can't lead but he wasn't ready to and like with Foote he got frustrated. Sounds like he lives here part-time and sounds like he will return when hes done. So not a city problem, but an organization problem.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
"I want all this settled before September 13th." Yet will not negotiate with the team. That's still puzzling to me. He can try to play diplomat, and bus is absolutely correct that it's a lot easier for him to play that role with an interpreter, but it's easy to see through. He has no interest in being here after this year, and it appears Bob doesn't either. Personally, I'm tired of Panarin and his "will I stay or will I go" rope-a-dope mindset. He's a great player, most talented in franchise history, but I can't wait until this saga ends.

Why does it have to be limited to one sentence? I don't know for sure why those guys left but here are my guesses.

Nash - Tired of losing. Didn't want his entire career to be considered a loser.
Foote - Signed as UFA. Loved Colorado. Didn't like the cloudiness of Cbus and family missed friends in CO. Plus he is a dick and had no problems abandoning his team.
Carter - Casrter is all about Carter and wanted to be in a flashy place where he could party.
Bob - Don't know but it will piss me off if he leaves because CBJ allowed him to resurrect his career and get to the point where he could sign a huge multi year contract. He should have some loyalty to the team just for that.
Panarin - I am sure there could be pages and pages speculating about this and no one will still know. Oh wait...this is already page 19!

Why is Jones special? He was traded to the CBJ without his permission.

He signed 2 contracts here for a total of 6 years (2+4), including a bridge deal after winning a Vezina trophy. Management kind of drug his name through the mud after the Pittsburgh series for not being a playoff performer (and while you can make the case that it's accurate, it's still something not typically confirmed by people on the inside of the team), perhaps the CBJ should have loyalty?

Yet oddly, you don't mention loyalty with Panarin. The team who gave him a chance to be something more than Patrick Kane's sidekick.

Last edited:

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
"I want all this settled before September 13th." Yet will not negotiate with the team. That's still puzzling to me. He can try to play diplomat, and bus is absolutely correct that it's a lot easier for him to play that role with an interpreter, but it's easy to see through. He has no interest in being here after this year, and it appears Bob doesn't either. Personally, I'm tired of Panarin and his "will I stay or will I go" rope-a-dope mindset. He's a great player, most talented in franchise history, but I can't wait until this saga ends.

He signed 2 contracts here for a total of 6 years (2+4), including a bridge deal after winning a Vezina trophy. Management kind of drug his name through the mud after the Pittsburgh series for not being a playoff performer (and while you can make the case that it's accurate, it's still something not typically confirmed by people on the inside of the team), perhaps the CBJ should have loyalty?

Yet oddly, you don't mention loyalty with Panarin. The team who gave him a chance to be something more than Patrick Kane's sidekick.

I started off by saying that I don't really know why those guys left so give me a break.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

I'll admit it is crazy that I myself have done a 180 on this after being in the boo-woo he's definitely leaving camp .... but...

We are now currently pissed/dissing that #9 gave open ended comments today because MAYBE JUST MAYBE HE HASN'T MADE UP HIS DAMN MIND YET? :facepalm: :ha:

Again, I felt a heckuva lot better after watching #9's interview than I did watching #72's ...

Reactions: Viqsi

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Its because of the translator. Essentially saying what people "want to hear" without really giving ANY actual insight.

Bob was the opposite, on all levels. I cant fault the dude for being honest. He says he doesn't want to talk about the contract stuff now/going into the season, but part of me feels like maybe he was so "up front" now, because he's a bit bothered that nobody has been asking or talking ABOUT HIM during the summer. Its been all, "Panarin this, Panarin that". Nobody has been thinking or saying, "Its BOBS right, to go to free agency".

If Bob was 'smirking' and winking off camera during his interview, like Panarin was, would you consider it "lovable"?

What we got in the Bob interview was everything we "learned" about Panarin over the summer, in an up front 2 min condensed video, in a "cold" Russian accent.

You make too much sense in this post. But still, Artemi is lovable. Bob is normally very lovable as well. So your thoughts on Bob feeling slighted is quite probable.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

BS.

The loyalty problem is on the other side of the table.
He's taking offers from the FO, but the FO won't commit to him. "The CBJ allowed him to resurrect his career" - more like Bob resurrected the franchise. He's stolen countless games for us. Bob feels that the FO is not appreciative of what he's done, and I think he's entirely justified in feeling upset about it.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Yes but you eventually have to have good players stay to have the breakthrough.
Quite the opposite. The breakthrough for Pittsburgh occurred when they won the Lemieux draft. He was instrumental in getting Jagr to agree to play there. He was instrumental in keeping the team in Pittsburgh. He was instrumental in Crosby’s early years.

They don’t luck out in that draft, they probably don’t have a team today.

As for Panarin, it is simply a result of the current NHL system. This is his big contract. He isn’t going to give up negotiation rights a year early for anyone - not even for a team on which he is thriving and whose locker room he really likes. One thing I am sure about is I hope our front office doesn’t trade him because they are worried about not having a few extra picks in the 2019 draft. As with Columbus in 2013 or Boston in 2015 a significant impact on the roster doesn’t come from having multiple 1sts in a given year. It comes from getting the guy at the very top of the draft.

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
BS.

The loyalty problem is on the other side of the table.
He's taking offers from the FO, but the FO won't commit to him. "The CBJ allowed him to resurrect his career" - more like Bob resurrected the franchise. He's stolen countless games for us. Bob feels that the FO is not appreciative of what he's done, and I think he's entirely justified in feeling upset about it.
Then perform in the playoffs, that is where money is made. As I mentioned when they protected Korpi, the writing was on the wall, as to what was going to happen with Bob. Jarmo, with one of the youngest cores in the league, was not going to pay a goalie , going on 31, 10 mill plus. Was never going to happen. And thank god. I'm tired of trying to win games 2-1, and going 40 games where we struggle to score 2 goals a night. Take that money, and go out and get some gamebreakers on offense, to go along with one of the best defensive cores in hockey. Elvis is ready, Korpi has great potential, and I'm excited to see what he can do with proper coaching, and correcting his technique, and Tarasov looks like hes going to be great.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Then perform in the playoffs, that is where money is made. As I mentioned when they protected Korpi, the writing was on the wall, as to what was going to happen with Bob. Jarmo, with one of the youngest cores in the league, was not going to pay a goalie , going on 31, 10 mill plus. Was never going to happen. And thank god. I'm tired of trying to win games 2-1, and going 40 games where we struggle to score 2 goals a night. Take that money, and go out and get some gamebreakers on offense, to go along with one of the best defensive cores in hockey. Elvis is ready, Korpi has great potential, and I'm excited to see what he can do with proper coaching, and correcting his technique, and Tarasov looks like hes going to be great.

From your description it seems you think of the Jackets as a low-scoring team. There were admittedly some low-scoring months in the middle of last year, but they clearly stick out as an aberration if you look month by month over the last couple years. This is a medium to high scoring team already. The fantasy projections all have us scoring significantly more than last year.

Goalie performance is not something you can safely predict from prospect play. All of these prospect goalies of ours, none of which are in the top tier of prospect goalies (have a look, none of them are top 10 G prospects, and not even top 25 on Pronman's list), add up to a bunch of question marks. It is likely to be the biggest weakness on the team for some time if we let Bob go.

Also it just has to further Bob's indignation when he gets blamed for the playoff performance like last year. He played fine - his 5v5 numbers were strong. But the team took ~28 penalties in those 6 games, about what Fleury had to deal with through 4 rounds. That's not Bob's fault. 4v5 sv% is naturally much lower and that skews the overall numbers. When you play for an organization that does that to you, and doesn't appreciate it, you should have the feeling that you are not in the right place. Go to a team that will appreciate you.

Reactions: Viqsi

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I like what he said better than the interpreter.

So how do we square this with his willingness to discuss sign-and-trades with other clubs (up until today) and his unwillingness to discuss any deals with the Jackets?

He's being nice about it. That's all.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
That translator is actually Milstein asisstant, so no surprise with smoothed translation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad