The once-new "what's going on with Panarin" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Another thing to consider is for the third time in CBJ history, we traded for high profile player who didn't want to be here. Foote, Carter, and now Panarin. You can't fault Jarmo or Howson, but maybe we need to go to another layer of due diligence before we make these types of trades. People have mentioned Seguin as a trading partner. Will he want to be here?
Winning cures all, Nashville was in the same boat. Columbus is slowly getting there. They need to bust thru and get to the finals , in the east . Players are much more glued in then the perception of Columbus on HfBoards, but your still dealing with a lot of false perceptions .

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Winning cures all, Nashville was in the same boat. Columbus is slowly getting there. They need to bust thru and get to the finals , in the east . Players are much more glued in then the perception of Columbus on HfBoards, but your still dealing with a lot of false perceptions .

So make the conference finals this season, and Panarin re-signs?

major major

Feb 18, 2013

I agree but I doubt the Panarin saga is an instance of that perception. There's a lot of reasons to think his case has nothing to do with the franchise, and it's about the city. There's a good chance he'll be playing on a team a year from now that is behind the Jackets in the standings.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I agree but I doubt the Panarin saga is an instance of that perception. There's a lot of reasons to think his case has nothing to do with the franchise, and it's about the city. There's a good chance he'll be playing on a team a year from now that is behind the Jackets in the standings.
Absolutely, he is a rarity, nothing we can do. Most professionals just want a place to play, that is truly a contender, that has a good front office. They have millions upon millions, to travel whenever they want, alot of players live elsewhere offseason, as well. But make no mistake, being a relevant franchise, and seen by players as a true competitive franchise, would solve about 99% of the issues. Jones, Werenski, Figs, Bob, Pld, Cam, all seem to love it here. Nearly every player that has come in the past few years has loved it here.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
But make no mistake, being a relevant franchise, and seen by players as a true competitive franchise, would solve about 99% of the issues. Jones, Werenski, Figs, Bob, Pld, Cam, all seem to love it here. Nearly every player that has come in the past few years has loved it here.

I think the days when the team was repelling players are pretty much, if not completely over.

Riley Nash and Anthony Duclair took less money to come here then they could have had on weaker squads. (Vancouver offered Nash significantly more, Duclair passed on a good offer, reportedly because he wanted to play for Torts).

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think the days when the team was repelling players are pretty much, if not completely over.

Riley Nash and Anthony Duclair took less money to come here then they could have had on weaker squads. (Vancouver offered Nash significantly more, Duclair passed on a good offer, reportedly because he wanted to play for Torts).
But those guys aren't Panarin so clearly we still suck and are viewed as sucky and et cetera et cetera blah blah blah.

(Sorry; I've lost enough patience with "we don't matter" type arguments on the trade mains, so I don't care to deal with even more of it here. :dunno: )

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I can't help myself...trade him to Ottawa for Duchene. At least Duchene might re-sign.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
So make the conference finals this season, and Panarin re-signs?

There is a chance.
I've said all along hold onto him to see how season goes. If team plays great and we make a run it would be very tough for us to trade him but it would also be tough for him to walk away if we offer him a ton of money (so we don't get beat on $$$) and he sees the team can win.
Does it mean he would stay - no but it would make it tough.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
There is a chance.
I've said all along hold onto him to see how season goes. If team plays great and we make a run it would be very tough for us to trade him but it would also be tough for him to walk away if we offer him a ton of money (so we don't get beat on $$$) and he sees the team can win.
Does it mean he would stay - no but it would make it tough.

My question was to that specific poster but you make (again) a good point.

What if Panarin genuinely just doesn't know what he wants. It's been widely speculated on, and maybe he and his agent have given Jarmo more info than has been made public (it seems likely), but there seems to be no fixed reason why Panarin doesn't intend to do a contract extension now. Maybe, as I've speculated before, he really just recognizes it's a big life decision and he wants to take his time to get it right.

My belief in that possibility has greatly lessened since I first posited it probably a month or more ago, but, unless the FO knows it's outside the realm of possibility, that's also part of the value calculation of holding versus trading.

Reactions: Mac DeMarco

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
My question was to that specific poster but you make (again) a good point.

What if Panarin genuinely just doesn't know what he wants. It's been widely speculated on, and maybe he and his agent have given Jarmo more info than has been made public (it seems likely), but there seems to be no fixed reason why Panarin doesn't intend to do a contract extension now. Maybe, as I've speculated before, he really just recognizes it's a big life decision and he wants to take his time to get it right.

My belief in that possibility has greatly lessened since I first posited it probably a month or more ago, but, unless the FO knows it's outside the realm of possibility, that's also part of the value calculation of holding versus trading.

But that'd be really boring so it can't be. What would reporters report? What would analysts analyze? What would HFBoarders HFBoard?

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

giphy.gif

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Allow me to expand on my thoughts.

Everything written or said about this team has this huge cloud of doubt hanging over it. Bread and Bob....Bob and Bread. I agree it is a big issue. But it's not the only issue with this team. There are many positive things this team has going for it.

I got my "Yearbook" issue of The Hockey News. Portzline authored the CBJ article. It was balanced, and it was down the middle. Imagine my shock when the THN editors and experts picked Columbus to win the Metro. They had them winning a first round series against the Flyers before getting bounced by Pittsburgh. Also, I saw some other projection that had Columbus winning the Presidents trophy.

Here's my point, if you watch sports long enough, you see some team coalesce and achieve something fantastic or unbelievable. In my lifetime, I think of the 69 New York Mets, or the Super Bowl 3 New York Jets, the 1990 Cincinnati Reds, or more current, the Ottawa Senators run from just two seasons ago or ...the 2017-2018 Vegas Golden Knights.

Will this happen this season in Columbus? I doubt it. But could it? Yea....it's possible.

Last night, I heard the "glass half full" explained better than ever. Some people see it and become concerned that there is a leak or a lot has been spilled. SOMETHING MUST BE DONE TO STOP THIS!. Others look at it and say, "hey I got room to fill it up with more...let me get busy filling it". Either way both sides are moved to action, but their response is diametrically opposed to the other.

My conscience choice is to see the possibilities and enjoy the journey. Could this season end in disaster? Yep. I just choose not to look at it that way. I appreciate the chill Jarmo has in handling his job. I appreciate how Coach Tortorella has a fire and passion for the franchise and community. Are they perfect? Nope.

The Baby Blue Jackets have played in the Championship game of the Traverse City Prospect tournament for 4 consecutive years (in a row!). They won 3 of them. I think their record is 14-2 during that time. I realize that doesn't guarantee a damn thing. But young players winning together count for something.

I just know that some day, some time, some how, the Columbus Blue Jackets will capture lightning in a bottle and it will be a magical season. I might be gone from this earth and not here to witness it, but it will happen.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
In this week's Panarin update... AC/DC is recording a new album using Malcolm Young's recorded playing from years ago!! Good times!

In other Panarin news...FEMA is using the Waffle House Index to gauge how severe Florence will be and how quickly communities recover. Good times indeed!

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Man , after seeing this , sure makes me think Bob is a goner , and makes me wonder , how much he has influenced Panarin, as the only other Russian player . Sounds like he’s floated what he wants , and is set on being a free agent .

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Both are as good as gone, but Panarin is trying to safe face and be a nice guy, where Bob is stone cold - "this team", man..

Reactions: The Bread Man
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad