The Oilers cannot score when McDavid isn't involved

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
I mean look at the roster they're icing.. Rattie, Yamamoto, Cagguila, Benning, Rieder, Kassian, R. Strome, Khaira... I can genuinely say I wouldn't want one of these players on the Bruins, maybe Khaira but that's about it.

Add to that the Pulju barely looks like an NHLer at this point and you have another season of failure incoming.

Last edited:

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
The fact that they traded Hall of all people on the roster is even more laughable. Chia needs to never have an NHL job ever again BC of that trade

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
As much as I would like to see this trend continue for the Oilers, might I remind people that this was only their 2nd game of the season and they just came back from overseas.

Reactions: King In The North

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
McDavid has 3 points so far and the Oilers have 3 goals.

How can a team that drafted #1 overall three times in a row and 4 times in 6 years be so bad?

Literally no secondary scoring.

The answer lies within your question.

>> "a team that drafted #1 overall three times in a row"

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Their secondary scoring is playing in New Jersey and Brooklyn.

Well, there paying a certain someone 8.5 mil, and you should hope for some secondary scoring from a forward you pay that much.

But that player, as the title suggests, can't provide scoring with McDavid either.

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
I mean look at the roster they're icing.. Rattie, Yamamoto, Cagguila, Benning, Rieder, Kassian, R. Strome, Khaira... I can genuinely say I wouldn't want one of these players on the Bruins, maybe Khaira but that's about it.

Add to that the Pulju barely looks like an NHLer at this point and you have another season of failure incoming.

Except Pulju has been way better than before, doing well at pre-season and still being played like a 4th liner

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Is t this the excuse every time?

It was:
Krueger
Eakins
Nelson

And now Mclellan

Not sure it’s the coaching. Might be the player personnel.

Our player group needs improvement, sure, but the coaches deserve blame. Todd McLellan is so stubborn he is keeping our trash pp setup from last year. All left handed players on the top, and all right handed players on the bottom.

He just cannot seem to grasp the idea of a one timer. Or giving Puljujarvi and actual chance to play.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
The fact that they traded Hall of all people on the roster is even more laughable. Chia needs to never have an NHL job ever again BC of that trade

Chia has made dumb trades, but he has improve our team and improved our drafting. Its the coaching that needs changing.
(But I would be all for dumping Chia, don't get me wrong)

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton

Outside of Benning (he’s trash), those players are fine if they are played where they belong. We just have no depth or skill after Mcdavid, Drai and Nuge.

- Yamo should be sheltered on the third line
- Caggiula should be a 12-13 forward
- Strome..he’s just meh at everything but will do as a third line player if he chips in around 35 points or so
- Lucic should be on the third line with Strome
- Rieder, again a good third line player

The Oilers have 3 players capable of playing top 6...it’s a recipe for disaster and then you have Mclellan coaching this group and he finds ways to make it even worse.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
They should try Puljujärvi on first line. But maybe hes not good enough at dump and chase for Tmac

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
They should relocate to Toronto as a 3rd team in Ontario. We have tons of qualified personnel on the east side that are qualified to clean house from the oilers front office, to the entire team and even the zamboni driver.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Why can't they put the McDavid - Draisaitl pair together? Clearly Draisaitl can't do anything on his own and McDavid could clearly use a big body on his line. I think it'd generate more offensive chances for them.

Also to the poster who says Puljujarvi has looked great everytime they have watched him, try watching some regular season games. Preseason would lead you to believe that Ty Rattie was the next coming of Gretzky this year.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
And this is exactly why I scoff at anyone asking the leafs to pay a william nylander for a top four d man. You NEED secondary scoring. Oilers were well on their way before hiring chia. A hall-mcd two line combo would have been lethal :(

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012

They need to flip Pulju quick. Can still get some value for him but if they keep waiting it’ll be another Yakupov

Reactions: Emerz

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
McDavid has 3 points so far and the Oilers have 3 goals.

How can a team that drafted #1 overall three times in a row and 4 times in 6 years be so bad?

Literally no secondary scoring.

But I was told you only needed to have the best player in the world and nothing else matters, or they cheap and effective scoring depth is easy to pick up in the draft or free agency.

You see all these polls about McDavid vs (insert 2-3 star players) and everyone freaks out if you don’t take McDavid because he’s the best player in the league.

Reality is this is a team game and you need multiple superstars not just one stud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad