The Ohtani Gambling Saga

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
That’s what’s so strange about it. I read the other day that the interpreter earned $300k per year. That’s a good living, but to get enough credit to rack up that much debt? Something stinks.

Yup - if this was his brother or cousin or something I could kind of see a bookie doing that because ultimately the odds of him getting his money are increased significantly in that scenario.

Reactions: SoupNazi

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
If the translator truly was getting his gambling debt paid off, how did he intend on paying the tax penalties associated with such a large gift from Ohtani?

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
IMG_4395.jpeg

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Im not sure if he wasnt gambling but there is no way he didnt know with that amount of money being wired. Im sure the MLB is dumb enough to think the public actually believes whatever rubbish story they run with. We wont.

Reactions: SoupNazi and Voight

Dec 29, 2004
If the investigation can prove impropriety, I don't think this gets swept under the rug, I think they get rid of him. Baseball's popularity is in a precarious position as it is, betting (no pun intended) it all on a 29 yrs old with a wonky elbow would be pretty stupid.

There are plenty of other players that can be the face of baseball. Star power is less of a problem than credibility.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
If the investigation can prove impropriety, I don't think this gets swept under the rug, I think they get rid of him. Baseball's popularity is in a precarious position as it is, betting (no pun intended) it all on a 29 yrs old with a wonky elbow would be pretty stupid.

There are plenty of other players that can be the face of baseball. Star power is less of a problem than credibility.
Pete Rose should sue MLB if nothing is done about Ohtani. And no one should ever bet on a Dodgers game if he isn't gone.

Reactions: Voight

Dec 29, 2004
The Japanese Babe Ruth Bobby Bonilla Pete Rose?

Whatever he might be, he is trending in the wrong direction.

Dec 29, 2004
Ohtanis saving grace is he/the interpreter werent betting on baseball games, unlike Rose.
That isn't the issue, nor his real concern.

The issue is whether or not he committed a federal crime by wiring the money. This is the reason his story changed.

On the bright side, if found guilty, he will still be able to play baseball in a Bureau of Federal Prisons league. Or, after his visa is cancelled and he is deported he could go to Mexico, Japan, or the middle east.

Last edited:

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
That isn't the issue, nor his real concern.

The issue is whether or not he committed a federal crime by wiring the money. This is the reason his story changed.

On the bright side, if found guilty, he will still be able to play baseball in a Bureau of Federal Prisons league. Or, after his visa is cancelled and he is deported he could go to Mexico, Japan, or the middle east.

Committing a crime is not something that gets you a lifetime ban, players have gone to prison and returned to play, some for multiple years

Reactions: MS and Voight

Dec 29, 2004
Committing a crime is not something that gets you a lifetime ban, players have gone to prison and returned to play, some for multiple years
A foreign national who committed a felony? I am a little rusty on this, name one...

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
A foreign national who committed a felony? I am a little rusty on this, name one..

I specifically said that committing a crime did not warrant a lifetime ban, obviously if he is deported he would not be able to play, but considering it was not a violent crime, I think it is very possible that he would not be deported, based on the info here, I would say that whatever crime was committed probably does not fall into the Aggravated Felony category that would lead to deportation for Ohtani, it likely would for the interpreter as it would be considered a theft over $10K

Ron Leflore spent did time for armed robbery and played several years afterwards and even played for the Expos, so he made it across the border

Jim Rivera served 5 years of a life sentence for rape and was paroled in 1949 before going on to have a 10 yr career in the majors

Reactions: Voight

Dec 29, 2004
I specifically said that committing a crime did not warrant a lifetime ban, obviously if he is deported he would not be able to play, but considering it was not a violent crime, I think it is very possible that he would not be deported, based on the info here, I would say that whatever crime was committed probably does not fall into the Aggravated Felony category that would lead to deportation for Ohtani, it likely would for the interpreter as it would be considered a theft over $10K

Ron Leflore spent did time for armed robbery and played several years afterwards and even played for the Expos, so he made it across the border

Jim Rivera served 5 years of a life sentence for rape and was paroled in 1949 before going on to have a 10 yr career in the majors
Both of those guys were American.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4