The Ohtani Gambling Saga

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Surprised there's no discussion on this yet.

What a nightmare start to the Ohtani era in LA. I understand we don't really know a whole lot yet, but personally I find what we have been told stinks to high heaven and at this point have a hard time seeing this not hurt him at all.

Making statements Tuesday and then less than 24 hours later completely doing an aboutface on those statements. Being together again in the dugout the next day.

I don't know. Doesn't appear to be good at this point. Thoughts?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
When the interpreter comes out with one story to try to take the fall, but changes it a day later because the original story still implicates Ohtani of a crime, yeah, it's suspect at best. Like, why would Ohtani's interpeter have access to remove money from his bank account? Is there some kind of law enforcement agency investigating the extent of Ohtani's involvement?

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
At the risk of sounding insensitive or conspiracy theorist, the MLB is going to protect Ohtani at all costs. In Japan, all you're really allowed to bet on is horse racing and motor sports with all other forms of gambling either banned or heavily restricted like pachinko, so coming to America especially during the period where sports booking websites became legal and commonplace was likely a culture shock. In the event it's revealed that Ohtani's the degenerate gambler, we got a powder keg that's going to blow up not only baseball but sports betting as a whole.

Reactions: DaveG

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
At the risk of sounding insensitive or conspiracy theorist, the MLB is going to protect Ohtani at all costs. In Japan, all you're really allowed to bet on is horse racing and motor sports with all other forms of gambling either banned or heavily restricted like pachinko, so coming to America especially during the period where sports booking websites became legal and commonplace was likely a culture shock. In the event it's revealed that Ohtani's the degenerate gambler, we got a powder keg that's going to blow up not only baseball but sports betting as a whole.

But it's not like he did it in a legal way. It's one thing to open an account when you're visiting a state where it is legal, and doing it through legal avenues, it's a complete other when it's been illegal in the state he's lived in since coming here and he's pursuing it through an illegal bookie.

I agree the league is probably going to protect him as much as they can though.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
nothing will happen

the translator will take the fall and likely some legal punishment, MLB will sweep it all under the rug to protect their biggest star, and that's that

If they’re running with the ‘translator stole $4.5M’ he’s doing serious prison time. The FBI is involved

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
ohtani sure is one heckuva friend.

how much is the friend going to be paid for taking the fall and potentially doing heavy time?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
nothing will happen

the translator will take the fall and likely some legal punishment, MLB will sweep it all under the rug to protect their biggest star, and that's that

You'd think they'd be smarter about it tho. They claim he "stole" the money but on the same day/the day after hes laughing and smiling with Ohtani in the dugout? :huh:

& FWIW given punishment is at the discretion of the commissioner, they are 100% sweeping this under the rug.

^ good thread about the situation at hand.

Key part is the transaction being via wire. This guy wasn't his accountant or money manager so its not like he could've made the transfer without Ohtani knowing (even then, you'd think the bank would confirm such a large transaction with Ohtani himself)

Last edited:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
You'd think they'd be smarter about it tho. They claim he "stole" the money but on the same day/the day after hes laughing and smiling with Ohtani in the dugout? :huh:

& FWIW given punishment is at the discretion of the commissioner, they are 100% sweeping this under the rug.

^ good thread about the situation at hand.

Key part is the transaction being via wire. This guy wasn't his accountant or money manager so its not like he could've made the transfer without Ohtani knowing (even then, you'd think the bank would confirm such a large transaction with Ohtani himself)

Plot twist: they tried, but the interpreter intercepted the phone call.

Just trying to anticipate Manfred’s lame excuse.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Sportsnet article says the bets were not on baseball

SEOUL, South Korea — Shohei Ohtani’s interpreter is being criminally investigated by the IRS, and the attorney for his alleged bookmaker said Thursday that the ex-Los Angeles Dodgers employee placed bets on international soccer — but not baseball.

'd think if it were actually Ohtani making bets or the interpreter placing them on hsi behalf, it would be uncovered in the criminal investgiation (IRS/FBI don't care if he's face of baseball like MLB does)

Last edited:

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020

Sportsnet article says the bets were not on baseball

'd think if it were actually Ohtani making bets or the interpreter placing them on hsi behalf, it would be uncovered in the criminal investgiation (IRS/FBI don't care if he's face of baseball like MLB does)
As I understand, the assurance that the gambler was not betting on baseball comes from the bookie, who isn't necessarily the most trustworthy person.

Frankly, I think professional athletes should know not to associate themselves with people who gamble on sports. I'm kind of an absolutist on this.

If the truth is simply that Ohtani paid off his interpreter's debts to an illegal bookie, the interpreter should get a permanent ban and Ohtani should get a year-long suspension. Anything more nefarious and I'm for the permanent ban.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Anyone but Ohtani and I think the league would hammer them but he's the face of the league and I think gets given the Michael Jordan treatment. $4.5 million came from his account, he was joking around with the interpreter just a couple of days ago at the game so I call bs on any excuse and I think the interpreter is the fall guy.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
As I understand, the assurance that the gambler was not betting on baseball comes from the bookie, who isn't necessarily the most trustworthy person.

Frankly, I think professional athletes should know not to associate themselves with people who gamble on sports. I'm kind of an absolutist on this.

If the truth is simply that Ohtani paid off his interpreter's debts to an illegal bookie, the interpreter should get a permanent ban and Ohtani should get a year-long suspension. Anything more nefarious and I'm for the permanent ban.

Well, if there was, you'd think it will be found in the criminal investigation. So we'll see

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I can't even see a bookie letting the interpreter accumulate that much debt. I'm sure he gets paid a nice sum of money to be an interpreter for Ohtani but I don't know, if it was me I wouldn't extend millions in credit to the guy.
That’s what’s so strange about it. I read the other day that the interpreter earned $300k per year. That’s a good living, but to get enough credit to rack up that much debt? Something stinks.

Reactions: DaveG and Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad