The Ohtani Gambling Saga

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021
He's literally on tape pretending to be Ohtani to banks.

The evidence in whole is fairly overwhelming that Ohtani is a victim here, but you do you I guess.

Before this most recent revelation, a lot of people were (justifiably) suspicious that the interpreter was the “fall guy” for Ohtani — that Ohtani was actually placing the bets himself, or that the interpreter was placing the bets on Ohtani’s behalf.

The fact that the interpreter impersonated Ohtani on the phone to make the transfers, does not preclude the possibility that he did so with Ohtani’s permission, as a means of accessing the funds while still keeping Ohtani one step removed from the transactions and maintaining plausible deniability.

Initially the thought was that the interpreter accessed the funds via computer by using Ohtani’s password, or through written request by forging his signature.

The revelation that he accessed the funds by impersonating Ohtani’s voice over the phone doesn’t by itself undermine the “fall guy theory” and is in fact perfectly compatible with that theory.

The fact that there were no gambling related texts discovered between Ohtani and the interpreter might be treated as conclusive evidence that they did not discuss betting via text message, but it’s entirely possible that they only discussed betting in person; by all accounts this would be easy for them to do as they spent almost all of their time in each others’ company.

Lastly, the two text exchanges quoted in the article which explicitly implicate the interpreter took place in November 2023 and March 2024. The bookmaker’s house was raided by federal investigators in October 2023, meaning the texts were sent after both parties were almost certainly aware that their convo’s were either being actively monitored, or that transcripts could eventually end up being disclosed to investigators. Again, this is entirely compatible with the theory that the interpreter was/is willingly taking the fall for Ohtani.

That said, I have no idea what happened and have no strong opinion one way or another. Just pointing out that the evidence disclosed in that ESPN article doesn’t really exonerate Ohtani, and that it’s not unreasonable for someone to remain skeptical.

I will say that it’s curious that no bets were placed on baseball— presumably the American sport the interpreter was most intimately familiar with. I’m curious to know if he was asked about that and if so how he explained his rationale.

Dec 29, 2004
I will say that it’s curious that no bets were placed on baseball— presumably the American sport the interpreter was most intimately familiar with. I’m curious to know if he was asked about that and if so how he explained his rationale.
Well, the interpreter said he didn't bet on baseball.

It's funny to me that someone who appears to be a liar, thief, and degenerate gambler can all of a sudden become a creditable source when they are telling someone exactly what they want to hear...

I am curious to hear what the bookie has to say.

Reactions: Voight

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021
Well, the interpreter said he didn't bet on baseball.

It's funny to me that someone who appears to be a liar, thief, and degenerate gambler can all of a sudden become a creditable source when they are telling someone exactly what they want to hear...

I am curious to hear what the bookie has to say.
I’m sure they didn’t take him at his word — we know that they scoured hundreds of thousands of his phone and bank records in determining that he made over 19,000 bets with the bookie in question. They matched each of those to a corresponding sporting event outcome and concluded that none were baseball related.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He's literally on tape pretending to be Ohtani to banks.

The evidence in whole is fairly overwhelming that Ohtani is a victim here, but you do you I guess.

I find it somewhat hard to believe the banks wouldn't do any due diligence for millions of dollars of transfers. Or that nobody, including Ohtanis accountant or money people noticed that much missing. Not to mention the story was he borrowed the money, they were acting like the best of friends in the dugout and then all of a sudden he says he stole it.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Before this most recent revelation, a lot of people were (justifiably) suspicious that the interpreter was the “fall guy” for Ohtani — that Ohtani was actually placing the bets himself, or that the interpreter was placing the bets on Ohtani’s behalf.

The fact that the interpreter impersonated Ohtani on the phone to make the transfers, does not preclude the possibility that he did so with Ohtani’s permission, as a means of accessing the funds while still keeping Ohtani one step removed from the transactions and maintaining plausible deniability.

Initially the thought was that the interpreter accessed the funds via computer by using Ohtani’s password, or through written request by forging his signature.

The revelation that he accessed the funds by impersonating Ohtani’s voice over the phone doesn’t by itself undermine the “fall guy theory” and is in fact perfectly compatible with that theory.

The fact that there were no gambling related texts discovered between Ohtani and the interpreter might be treated as conclusive evidence that they did not discuss betting via text message, but it’s entirely possible that they only discussed betting in person; by all accounts this would be easy for them to do as they spent almost all of their time in each others’ company.

Lastly, the two text exchanges quoted in the article which explicitly implicate the interpreter took place in November 2023 and March 2024. The bookmaker’s house was raided by federal investigators in October 2023, meaning the texts were sent after both parties were almost certainly aware that their convo’s were either being actively monitored, or that transcripts could eventually end up being disclosed to investigators. Again, this is entirely compatible with the theory that the interpreter was/is willingly taking the fall for Ohtani.

That said, I have no idea what happened and have no strong opinion one way or another. Just pointing out that the evidence disclosed in that ESPN article doesn’t really exonerate Ohtani, and that it’s not unreasonable for someone to remain skeptical.

I find it somewhat hard to believe the banks wouldn't do any due diligence for millions of dollars of transfers. Or that nobody, including Ohtanis accountant or money people noticed that much missing. Not to mention the story was he borrowed the money, they were acting like the best of friends in the dugout and then all of a sudden he says he stole it.
Early on I was a believer in Ipper being the fall guy. Now I'm not sure what to believe. The recent revelations this week of the investigation simply leave me with more questions than answers. Specifically, the more I hear about the official story of this being theft, the dumber Ohtani and his finance team seem if taking this story at face value. For his finance team, Ippei allegedly telling them Ohtani wanted to keep his accounts private and away from them should've been a huge red flag, considering that's a major part of their job. I'm also shocked that he couldn't find at least one person on his finance team who spoke Japanese, considering he plays in LA of all places.

Related to the text message timeline, what I have a hard time reconciling is that Ippei is smart enough pull off an embezzlement of $16 million (albeit with people being asleep at the wheel) and have it concealed until an investigation into someone else (the bookie) uncovers it, yet dumb enough to send a text message (thus saving a record) AFTER the bookie's home got raided. I guess the only way of reconciling them in saying Ippei is dumb, but was lucky those who should've been safeguarding Ohtani's finances are also dumb.

At this point I have no idea what happened, but have a feeling there's something beneath the surface of the official story. The official story means way too many people didn't do their due diligence.

Reactions: Voight

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
I should clarity, I never believed Ohtani was the gambler who used Ippei as his middle man, as it's clear Ippei has a malignant gambling addiction. What I believed more initially is Ohtani helping out his friend with his gambling debts (which is still illegal since it's paying an illegal bookie), but then Ippei taking the fall as soon as things went sideways. That's what I initially believed, but as I said, the recent revelations just leave me with more questions than answers.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009

This is where I’m at. Any transfer over $9,999 is heavily scrutinized by banks.

Reactions: Voight and RCGP2
Sep 19, 2008
Be skeptical all you want but once the federal investigation cleared Ohtani it was very obvious he was a victim of crime and betrayed by someone close to him

It's not inconceivable to believe that his translator had all the power and control of his money

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
translator likely sells him short.

he was more or less his handler. Ohtani, from what I've been reading, almost sounds like he is only focused on baseball, period. It's not guardianship level, but I doubt if Ohtani ever really even looked at his money.

Crazy for most of us, but I think it's somewhat understandable for a guy who is basically on Mars. He's basically isolated in this world (though it sounds like he did some of the same in Japan... probably to avoid the media/fans) other than his interactions with baseball.

Reactions: John Price

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

The more information that has come out the harder it's been to be skeptical.

They dug through their text messages and electronic records, if Ohtani was the purported degenerate gambler, it would have been uncovered, there'd have been some papertrail or communication revealing it, no matter how careful he was in using the translator as a shield.

And then there's Occams Razor. This interpreter dude is one hell of a friend or must be guaranteed half of Ohtani's contract when he gets out of the Federal Penitentary because he's likely facing decades in prison for this.

Reactions: Finlandia WOAT

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
The more information that has come out the harder it's been to be skeptical.

They dug through their text messages and electronic records, if Ohtani was the purported degenerate gambler, it would have been uncovered, there'd have been some papertrail or communication revealing it, no matter how careful he was in using the translator as a shield.

And then there's Occams Razor. This interpreter dude is one hell of a friend or must be guaranteed half of Ohtani's contract when he gets out of the Federal Penitentary because he's likely facing decades in prison for this.
They could always be using cellphones that no one knows about. And there is nothing the translator can do if he can't prove it was Ohtan doing the gambling.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
They could always be using cellphones that no one knows about. And there is nothing the translator can do if he can't prove it was Ohtan doing the gambling.

You may have heard of this thing called testimony, where you formally and legally give your story of what happened.

But you seem so far down the rabbit hole you probably think Ohtani would have him killed or something in this hypothetical scenario

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
You may have heard of this thing called testimony, where you formally and legally give your story of what happened.

But you seem so far down the rabbit hole you probably think Ohtani would have him killed or something in this hypothetical scenario
People lie on the stand all the time, lol.

I'm not saying that's what happened here, just that testimony doesn't always equal truth.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
People lie on the stand all the time, lol.

I'm not saying that's what happened here, just that testimony doesn't always equal truth.

Sure some jagoff might exaggerate details or lie about small stuff in court in a smaller case. People don't flatout lie to federal prosecutors and investigators all the time when dealing with millions of missing dollars, because that's when you go to jail for perjury.

Last edited:

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Sure some jagoff might exaggerate details or lie about small stuff in court in a smaller case. People don't flatout lie to federal prosecutors and investigators all the time when dealing with millions of missing dollars, because that's when you go to jail for perjury.
Tell that to PM JT :laugh:

• Love
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad