The OHL Collective

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Hello OHL Fans!

Many of you know who I am, some don't.

Well myself, Brandon and Darius have started up a new inclusive OHL Website and we hope to have the support from the many great OHL Fans who flood these boards daily. We just launched and have 2 articles so far.

All Time Kitchener Rangers Team

The Memorial Cup Through the Decades

If you have suggestions on a subject you would like covered, by all means let us know! We are active posters here and very approachable.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Hmm, well call me biased but perhaps a piece on the champs and the struggles they will face next season? After that, I wouldn't mind a piece of the history behind the logos and names around the league. I know the Hamilton Bulldogs name (and thus logo) was chosen based on the old Quebec Bulldogs who were relocated to Hamilton and became the Hamilton Tigers NHL team way back in the day. I've always wondered the exact reason why Kingston seemed to carry the Bruin's branding and obviously Kitchener as well with New York, and if there is any meaning behind the four stars of the Sault and why Sudbury absolutely refuses to update their logo.

Reactions: SebJHockey

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Hmm, well call me biased but perhaps a piece on the champs and the struggles they will face next season? After that, I wouldn't mind a piece of the history behind the logos and names around the league. I know the Hamilton Bulldogs name (and thus logo) was chosen based on the old Quebec Bulldogs who were relocated to Hamilton and became the Hamilton Tigers NHL team way back in the day. I've always wondered the exact reason why Kingston seemed to carry the Bruin's branding and obviously Kitchener as well with New York, and if there is any meaning behind the four stars of the Sault and why Sudbury absolutely refuses to update their logo.

I'm uncertain about a few of why certain things are the way they are like you but I can shed some light on why the Kitchener Rangers are uniformed identical to N.Y. Rangers.

This goes back to a time when the OHA was the Jr league to the NHL and had stronger ties to what we would consider now to be an OHL.

In the case of Kitchener the Red, White and Blue design is a continued horned tradition when they where affiliates to the N.Y. Rangers.

Hope that helps you a bit on why things are like that in Kitchener.

Beyond that everything else is something that I would maybe ask each individual team board on.

Based on what your asking fans around the league are usually knowledgeable on there own city's club and why things are the way they are in the league.

A good example for a question is why does a team like the Barrie Colts not broadcast on a radio station or internet radio service any of there games at home or on the road. Especially when having a fairly solid market for fans and no major network competition in there city beyond the local CTV television studio that has little to no impact on the Colts success beyond highlights at the end of the night?

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I like the content of the articles, but many spelling and grammar issues make them difficult for me to read. Improve the editing process and it looks like you have a good start.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

"While the Soo Greyhounds have only been members of the Ontario Hockey League since 1972-73, the name dates back to just shortly after the First World War. According to local hockey historian, Wilf Ross, an un-named Soo team was to begin competing in the now-defunct Upper-Penninsula Hockey League. Officials considered having a name selected by the general public, but the team’s coach, George MacNamara, had an idea of his own. He apparently asked that the team be called the Greyhounds because “a Greyhound is much faster than a wolf,” a reference made to the already established rival club, the Sudbury Wolves."

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Beyond that everything else is something that I would maybe ask each individual team board on.

Based on what your asking fans around the league are usually knowledgeable on there own city's club and why things are the way they are in the league.

That's fair, or I could ask these fine gentleman who are in the business of researching, producing interesting posts about the league and it's history and looking for a piece of work to do, to do it for me.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Hello OHL Fans!

Many of you know who I am, some don't.

Well myself, Brandon and Darius have started up a new inclusive OHL Website and we hope to have the support from the many great OHL Fans who flood these boards daily. We just launched and have 2 articles so far.

All Time Kitchener Rangers Team

The Memorial Cup Through the Decades

If you have suggestions on a subject you would like covered, by all means let us know! We are active posters here and very approachable.

best of luck

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I'm uncertain about a few of why certain things are the way they are like you but I can shed some light on why the Kitchener Rangers are uniformed identical to N.Y. Rangers.

This goes back to a time when the OHA was the Jr league to the NHL and had stronger ties to what we would consider now to be an OHL.

In the case of Kitchener the Red, White and Blue design is a continued honoured tradition when they where affiliates to the N.Y. Rangers.

Hope that helps you a bit on why things are like that in Kitchener.

A good example for a question is why does a team like the Barrie Colts not broadcast on a radio station or internet radio service any of there games at home or on the road. Especially when having a fairly solid market for fans and no major network competition in there city beyond the local CTV television studio that has little to no impact on the Colts success beyond highlights at the end of the night?

Further to Kitchener, the team was bought from the NY Rangers for a dollar with one of the purchase agreement that the team name remains and the NY Rangers need to approve of any uniform changes (not sure if there was or is a sunset clause in the uniform approval)

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Further to Kitchener, the team was bought from the NY Rangers for a dollar with one of the purchase agreement that the team name remains and the NY Rangers need to approve of any uniform changes (not sure if there was or is a sunset clause in the uniform approval)

I knew the NHL sponsored the teams prior to the draft, but did not know this fact. What year did this occur?

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Thanks for the early support everyone.

I sent out a tweet last night, this site is a work in progress as are the writers. There will be the odd grammatical mistake. We want to provide you with quality content, but we can't be perfect. It is something we will work on over time.

Anyways, thanks again! We will try to get coverage out about every team. There are a lot of story lines through out the season but at the same time it is only 3 of us. We will take all suggestions!

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I knew the NHL sponsored the teams prior to the draft, but did not know this fact. What year did this occur?
The NYR farm team was the Guelph Royals and they relocated to Kitchener for the 1963-64 season. Then the NHL stopped sponsoring teams prior to the 1967-68 season (end of the NHL Original 6 era), in which the Rangers were bought by Eugene George (owner of G-A Masonry, the largest masonry company in the world, Patene Building Supplies (Pat for his wife and "ene" from the last 3 letters in his name) and CareLift for a dollar and made into public ownership.

Other Original 6 Sponsored teams:
Hamilton Redwings: Detroit
St Catherines Teepees/Blackhawks: Chicago
Toronto Marlboros: TML
NF Flyers: Boston
Montreal Jr Canadiens: Montreal
(I don't know how Oshawa with Bobby Orr and other OHA teams figured into this and someone else can correct any misinformation or fill in the blanks)

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I knew of the affiliations listed above but nothing about how ownership changed on some or all of the teams or how Howard Darwin owned two teams back when. Maybe a franchise history thread would be a good read through, though potentially a very long one!!!:D

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
The NYR farm team was the Guelph Royals and they relocated to Kitchener for the 1963-64 season. Then the NHL stopped sponsoring teams prior to the 1967-68 season (end of the NHL Original 6 era), in which the Rangers were bought by Eugene George (owner of G-A Masonry, the largest masonry company in the world, Patene Building Supplies (Pat for his wife and "ene" from the last 3 letters in his name) and CareLift for a dollar and made into public ownership.

Other Original 6 Sponsored teams:
Hamilton Redwings: Detroit
St Catherines Teepees/Blackhawks: Chicago
Toronto Marlboros: TML
NF Flyers: Boston
Montreal Jr Canadiens: Montreal
(I don't know how Oshawa with Bobby Orr and other OHA teams figured into this and someone else can correct any misinformation or fill in the blanks)

Oshawa GM Wren Blair signed an affiliation agreement with Boston president Weston Adams in 1960. The Generals franchise had been on hiatus for a few years after Hambly's Arena burned to the ground in 1953.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Nice write up Seb. Good job. Nice to get some info on prospects. Most fans enjoy reading these articles simply because there is not enough information made public on these young players. Thanks for doing this.:thumbu:

Thanks Bobber.

My mom's not doing well right now so its a good way to keep my head straight! Hoping that I can re-develop the following I had before!

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Good article on the Bulldogs, but just some clarification--Fulcher is booked for Grand Rapids(AHL) next season, as he's 20 in September, has an entry-level deal with Detroit, and will not return to Hamilton.

Robert Thomas is 50/50 to return, depending on what the Blues do this offseason, and he has an ELC already.

Cammano will not likely return--he's 20 in September as well, and likely ends up on the Texas Stars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad