Speculation: The Official "Who Will Be The Habs' Next GM?" Post

Who do you want to be the next GM?

• Total voters

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Lots of people have good things to say about Bergevin.

yeah who, i dont remember hearing anything about bergy. He had no experience at all in GM when he was hired. Never went to learn in the juniors. Was a very mediocre player. Roy hes a legend , won coach of the year in the nhl, manage a hockey team for many years. I mean there is no comparable between the 2 individuals. One is a born winner , the other one not so much

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
f*** it, im going with Émilie Castonguay

yes lets try to show the league how progressive we are. Lets hire a woman with no experience at all because well she is a girl. What is wrong, you guys really enjoy having a bad team.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The whole "Bring Roy 'Cuz he's a winner" is more than just a bit ridiculous. The reason why he's considered a winner isn't because of his exec career (One Mem Cup and, I think, Zero President Cup is rather weak when you have more ressources at your disposal than everyone else), but because of his extremely successful playing career.

His extremely successful playing career, and, thus, the "Winner" tag, came about because he was a generationnal goaltender. Arguably the greatest of all time. This is why he won. Make him an average NHL netminder, and Roy doesn't win any Cup here, and probably doesn't get traded to a powerhouse who only lacked a netminder, on his way to two OTHER Cups and another Smythe.

But... What the hell does being a generationnal netminder with an uncanny ability to perform in the clutch has anything to do with managing a hockey team? And, frankly, I'd rather have him as a head coach than as a GM.

We should leave Romanticism firmly in the 19th Century.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Would not go the Patrick Roy route that's for sure. How many times are GM's named straight from junior without any NHL management expérience?? Practically never and I don't see it happening with Roy. If we were to go down that route someone like Tourigny would be the best choice after all his success at building teams in junior, that guy is going places. Everything's he's touched turned into gold. Sucks that he's in Arizona though.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Would not go the Patrick Roy route that's for sure. How many times are GM's named straight from junior without any NHL management expérience?? Practically never and I don't see it happening with Roy. If we were to go down that route someone like Tourigny would be the best choice after all his success at building teams in junior, that guy is going places. Everything's he's touched turned into gold. Sucks that he's in Arizona though.

Well... Dubas kinda did.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
yes lets try to show the league how progressive we are. Lets hire a woman with no experience at all because well she is a girl. What is wrong, you guys really enjoy having a bad team.
you're confusing who i want to see vs who i think gets it

i personally don't give a single f*** about who gets the job, im not rooting for her - or anybody else, this place will turn on him/her in an instant regardless.

its pretty clear gorton runs the ship and whoever gets hired will be second fiddle. if emilie is a wildcard pick, but then so is darche.

get the best person for the job, and that doesn't always mean the most experienced, especially when an experienced gorton will be overseeing things

Last edited:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Sure about that?

Played hockey competitively and understands the game - NCAA Division I

Formal education in finance + law (bar certified lawyer)

Player agent w contract negotiation skills

Has all the prerequisites to be groomed to takeover for Gorton in 5-years time.

Gorton is the actual GM for the time being of you missed it, he will provide sage advice & direction .

Castonguay is not some unqualified numbchuck from the streets, and she meets the criteria set forth by both Molson & Gorton this week:

- Diversity
- Skill set to complement Gorton’s (contracts, negotiation and hockey administration)

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Sure about that?

Played hockey competitively and understands the game - NCAA Division I

Formal education in finance + law (bar certified lawyer)

Player agent w contract negotiation skills

Has all the prerequisites to be groomed to takeover for Gorton in 5-years time.

Gorton is the actual GM for the time being of you missed it, he will provide sage advice & direction .

Castonguay is not some unqualified numbchuck from the streets, and she meets the criteria set forth by both Molson & Gorton this week:

- Diversity
- Skill set to complement Gorton’s (contracts, negotiation and hockey administration)
thank you

sure, her resume isn't traditional, but it certainly isn't bad enough to dismiss out of hand

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I want Madden. I think he may not get the job because Molson and Gorton want someone to "complement" Gorton. Madden and Gorton seem very similar to me. Scouting backround, talent evaluators, kind of introverts, thinkers...

In the presser Gorton said he'd look for someone with a different backrond like a "player or an agent".....

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
As crazy as it sounds, with Timmins out and Groton handling the strategic orientation, Bergevin would be perfect as the GM or what really will be a “head assistant GM ». If you look at his trade record, which will be the main role of the new GM I guess, very few have created more value out of trading as he did in the last 6-7 years.

Reactions: Habricot

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
yeah who, i dont remember hearing anything about bergy. He had no experience at all in GM when he was hired. Never went to learn in the juniors. Was a very mediocre player. Roy hes a legend , won coach of the year in the nhl, manage a hockey team for many years. I mean there is no comparable between the 2 individuals. One is a born winner , the other one not so much
The only time that the Remparts when in Final since 2006, it's when Phillipe Boucher was GM in 2015, Roy is never considerate for GM of the years in the Q, Team Canada never taught about taking him for the WJC, they don't draft and develop that much talent, the only one they draft it's US player that come because they throw them $$, he's the guy who traded Kucherov to keep Nick Sorenseon.

A lot of Remparts fans really don't mind if he goes with the Habs, because they know how much overrated he is as an executive, if is name wasn't Patrick Roy with his CV, no one would considerate him and he would probably have been fired by QC...

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I was listening a Podcast this morning with Daniel Brière and I'v learn that he's implicate in the discussion at the TDL/Draft/FA with the Flyers with the scout and the AGM and that he help make decision, so he have way more experience that we think. He was with Fletcher when they trade for Ristoleinen and Ellis and he talk a lot with the scout before the draft.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
The only time that the Remparts when in Final since 2006, it's when Phillipe Boucher was GM in 2015, Roy is never considerate for GM of the years in the Q, Team Canada never taught about taking him for the WJC, they don't draft and develop that much talent, the only one they draft it's US player that come because they throw them $$, he's the guy who traded Kucherov to keep Nick Sorenseon.

A lot of Remparts fans really don't mind if he goes with the Habs, because they know how much overrated he is as an executive, if is name wasn't Patrick Roy with his CV, no one would considerate him and he would probably have been fired by QC...

ok patrick roy wouldnt be considerate but green rookies like briere ( who refuse to join the habs when he was FA) and darche would be. Clown world

Plus darche and briere have no prestance they would absolutely be bend over in contract negociation. Worst than bergy.

and honestly cant think of a more boring personality than briere and darche. This is the entertainment industry.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
ok patrick roy wouldnt be considerate but green rookies like briere ( who refuse to join the habs when he was FA) and darche would be. Clown world

Plus darche and briere have no prestance they would absolutely be bend over in contract negociation. Worst than bergy.
They have both a lot of education in administration, Darche already does that with Tampa negotiate contract and looking at the cap and Briere is implicate with the business side of the game with the Flyers since 2016... Roy never really negotiate contract in the Q... If Roy was a successful GM in the Q, he could be interesting but they are at least 5 others names that where in the Q in the last 5 seasons that are way more successful GM then Roy.

Reactions: sandviper

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
They have both a lot of education in administration, Darche already does that with Tampa negotiate contract and looking at the cap and Briere is implicate with the business side of the game with the Flyers since 2016... Roy never really negotiate contract in the Q... If Roy was a successful GM in the Q, he could be interesting but they are at least 5 others names that where in the Q in the last 5 seasons that are way more successful GM then Roy.

None that will command the same respect from the players than Roy tho.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
I was listening a Podcast this morning with Daniel Brière and I'v learn that he's implicate in the discussion at the TDL/Draft/FA with the Flyers with the scout and the AGM and that he help make decision, so he have way more experience that we think. He was with Fletcher when they trade for Ristoleinen and Ellis and he talk a lot with the scout before the draft.

If he was ok with what they gave for Risto that is not really a plus for me :ha:

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
I want Roy but i dont think he will get it

Probably not. The habs are a boring organization, they will make sure to hire the most bland and grey personality out there. A guy that will never raise the voice, play the cassette and respect the omerta of the club.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

The most important aspect for any GM is being able to hire and retain the best people. That's not a skill unique to the hockey world it's something that all good managers in all industries need to possess. It's far better to assemble the best pro-scouting team in the league and rely on their advice then to assemble a poor pro-scouting department and then rely on your own evaluations that you don't even have enough time to do a properly do.

I know little about Émilie Castonguay so can't comment on her specifically, but it's a smart idea to look beyond the former GMs or ASM in the NHL. Frankly the best candiate is quite likely outside what people would consider the normal pool of candidates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad