Speculation: The Official "Who Will Be The Habs' Next GM?" Post

Who do you want to be the next GM?

• Total voters

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
Listening to the presser and the fact he wants someone that would complement him, IMO elliminates Madden which has very similar experience/background.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Listening to the presser and the fact he wants someone that would complement him, IMO elliminates Madden which has very similar experience/background.

I’ve come to the same conclusion after the presser. He might want someone who has been in an NHL dressing room before as a player, on top of being smart, competent, who can negotiate and understand contracts.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Madden Jr was never a fit for GM role to begin with, but I wouldn’t rule him out at all for Timmins replacement as AGM - which is the same role he has in Ana

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Madden Jr was never a fit for GM role to begin with, but I wouldn’t rule him out at all for Timmins replacement as AGM - which is the same role he has in Ana

Question becomes why he’d want to leave sunny Anaheim for what would essentially be a lateral move. Maybe there is a family prerogative otherwise, if I were him, you’d have to be crazy to leave the Ducks to work in this winterized, high tax fishbowl.

I think the head of scouting will more likely be someone with experience who is actually getting a promotion and major pay raise out of it. Someone that Gorton already knows.

Reactions: Maelpj93

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Question becomes why he’d want to leave sunny Anaheim for what would essentially be a lateral move. Maybe there is a family prerogative otherwise, if I were him, you’d have to be crazy to leave the Ducks to work in this winterized, high tax fishbowl.

I think the head of scouting will more likely be someone with experience who is actually getting a promotion and major pay raise out of it. Someone that Gorton already knows.
Madden Je leaves in Quebec City though

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

New GMs always want “their people”, and no owner will get in the way of that as it’s their prerogative.

Also, was Madden Jr, Murray’s guy? He seems to have been, does the Ana owner want to purge “Murray’s guys” due to optical stain - guilt by association?

Lots of unknowns, but fact remains he wasn’t the choice for interim GM, which in corporate world means you’ve stalled in the eyes of the higher ups, and Madden Jr resides full time in Quebec to begin with…

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It actually would be hilarious for Gorton to name Pierre McGuire as puppet GM.

"You want someone who can speak french? This guy speaks french and will never shut up, here you go"

McGuire can rattle off the childhood towns and alma mater of every prospect and young NHL player in French — a particularly useful skill whenever the internet is down.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
New GMs always want “their people”, and no owner will get in the way of that as it’s their prerogative.

Also, was Madden Jr, Murray’s guy? He seems to have been, does the Ana owner want to purge “Murray’s guys” due to optical stain - guilt by association?

Lots of unknowns, but fact remains he wasn’t the choice for interim GM, which in corporate world means you’ve stalled in the eyes of the higher ups, and Madden Jr resides full time in Quebec to begin with…

Doesn’t always mean a stall. Maybe Madden is content just being a scouting guy. We already know he’s done nothing about adding those other skills to his resume that are part and parcel of a GM job, plus I believe, he’s stated a preference for acting behind the scenes or something to that effect.

Reactions: sandviper

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
from what we know, he spend he's winter here to

We don’t know that. There is a difference between making scouting trips and where one lives during hockey season. Lots of Quebec players have homes in Quebec without living here during hockey season.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Like not at all.

I wonder if there might have been anything more emphatic than that. :laugh:

I think I’ve seen posters prefer self-mutilation over an undesirable outcome. A testicle is the most often sacrificed commodity.

Reactions: sandviper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad