The official University of Michigan thread

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Another decisive weekend sweep...great to see other guys besides Porter and Kolarik contribute. Much like with the Red Wings, they have two great players but the key will be getting that secondary scoring from Caporusso, Rust, Langlois, Pacioretty, and Turnbull. I'm pumped up for the series with MSU next weekend. Both games are on FSN...great time for that series with the NHL on their all-star break next weekend.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
As much as I hate Sparty, and how well Sauer has played this year, if the wolverines had Lerg they would be unbeatable. That guy is unbelievable.

I also have to say college hockey does not get any better than UM-MSU. Just an awesome series.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Can someone also please tell Ken Daniels that it's Ko-LAR-ik, not caloric? Good grief how do you consistenly mispronouce that one?

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
As much as I hate Sparty, and how well Sauer has played this year, if the wolverines had Lerg they would be unbeatable. That guy is unbelievable.

I also have to say college hockey does not get any better than UM-MSU. Just an awesome series.

Both are championship contending teams...definitely one of the premier weekend series of the college hockey year.

Bob Probert Owns You

Sep 25, 2007
MI
Michigan is lucky to get a tie tonight... MSU came to play in this series. Hopefully being challenged in this series really gives UM a push going into the Miami series. I am so pumped to see the games.

I agree with the feeling that Lerg played out of his mind tonight. He made some ridiculous stops. :amazed:

MHNet

May 31, 2005
MichiganHockey.net
Can someone also please tell Ken Daniels that it's Ko-LAR-ik, not caloric? Good grief how do you consistenly mispronouce that one?

Maybe because he's not mispronouncing it? It's Kah-lore-ick, not Ko-LAR-ik. Says so in the Michigan press release pronunciation guide every week.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Maybe because he's not mispronouncing it? It's Kah-lore-ick, not Ko-LAR-ik. Says so in the Michigan press release pronunciation guide every week.

Huh. So "AR" = "or"....well if "Favre" can equal "Farv"....my bad for thinking certain vowels meant certain sounds...

MHNet

May 31, 2005
MichiganHockey.net
Huh. So "AR" = "or"....well if "Favre" can equal "Farv"....my bad for thinking certain vowels meant certain sounds...
Pronounce this one correctly: Kwarciany. That's one of my friend's last name. No one ever gets it right.

The answer: Ka-char-knee. Where the heck they get Ka-char-knee from Kwarciany, I'll never know!

On a more important note, freshman defenseman Kevin Quick has been dismissed from the team.

"This decision was made because Kevin violated our team team rules and the trust of the team," Berenson said.

Quick appeared in almost every game and had been paired up pretty consistently with Mark Mitera on the top line as of late.

Bob Probert Owns You

Sep 25, 2007
MI
Losing Quick is tough for the team... UM now has 6 d-men to try and get through the rest of the season with. Time to call up someone from the club team? :huh:

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
What are the rules on adding someone mid-season? Is Quick's scholarship available this season? Obviously a person needs to already be enrolled...I thought there were some pretty strict rules about ading to your roster once the season began,,,

MHNet

May 31, 2005
MichiganHockey.net
We've added players during the middle of the season before. I believe as long as they meet the normal requirements they can join. The only thing is they don't get that half year of eligibility back, so basically if someone joined the team now, playing these last two months counts as their full freshman year of eligibility and they will have three more seasons to play.

I think it is highly unlikely we will add a scholarship player at this time. We still have six capable defensemen, and with all the forwards on the team, Red has in the past converted a forward to defenseman. In fact, I think Danny Fardig has played d-man a bit for Michigan. There's no sense in blowing a scholarship on a below-average player at this point in the season who most likely won't see ice time. Michigan will probably hold on to it for next season and get a player they want.

MHNet

May 31, 2005
MichiganHockey.net
FYI, tonight's game against Northern is available for free online. Go to http://mgoblue.com/icehockey and on the right side under Today/Upcoming click on the Video link. Disclaimer: This is being broadcast by the student station. Do not go in with high expectations (for commentary, at least) and it will be alright.

EDIT: The game was suppose to be online tonight, but for some unknown reason right now the Video link is opening up a popup window to last night's highlights.

Last edited:

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Gotta get something going here quick. 2 ties vs NMU? A well-below .500 team this season, and can't muster more than one power play goal last night?

I'm torn between "this is a bad sign", and "it's good the guys see some adversity now and learn to deal with it before playoff time"......

flip51

Nov 3, 2007
I don't care if Miami is #1 and the best team in the nation. I have more confidence in Michigan beating a #1 Miami than MSU, even if MSU were unranked or playing like crap all year, it's a great rivalry and you never know who's going to walk away with the win.

That said, I hope Michigan pulls it's crap together. I wish they were never voted #1, it seemed to get to their heads, the freshman at least. In the beginning of the year they were playing balls to the wall every game just flying all over the place, proving themselves. Now, it seems like they think they deserve to win just because they were voted #1 for a couple of weeks. I guess come playoff time the losses will only make them stronger. GO BLUE!

Prof_it

Sep 2, 2004
It should be a terrific CCHA series.

Rumors out of Oxford are that Carter Camper injured his leg at practice this week and is out for both games.

I'm interested to see how Miami's Dmen adjust to Michigan's speed. Also, i'm assuming, at least hoping, we'll get to see a lot of the Jones & Mitera matchup.

I'm sure there will be a lot of East/West fans watching this trying to figure out if these teams can live up to their rankings.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
It should be a terrific CCHA series.

I'm sure there will be a lot of East/West fans watching this trying to figure out if these teams can live up to their rankings.

This is definitely the series of the week. I don't think anyone disputes the rankings of the teams; both have been stellar this year. Best of luck to both teams and let's hope for some great hockey. As a fan of the game these are the matchups you love to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad