The official University of Michigan thread

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
This is THE game of the week so far. Great show by both teams! Looks like Nolan is being rewarded for a strong showing last night. I thought the Wolverines would be facing Teslak for sure.

Last edited:

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Nice show by both teams. Congrats to the Wolverines on a hard-fought victory. I was, of course, pulling for Tech but you really can't ask for better as a fan of the game.

MHNet

May 31, 2005
MichiganHockey.net
This is THE game of the week so far. Great show by both teams! Looks like Nolan is being rewarded for a strong showing last night. I thought the Wolverines would be facing Teslak for sure.

Teslak is out injured. Hurt his knee against Northern Michigan a few weeks back when he got run into.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I'm happy how Tech played - I thought they were the more physical of the two, but the result wasn't what I had hoped for. :( A classic goalie duel.

I caught the 2nd/3rd of the Providence/MSU game, and either the Spartans just had a bad weekend, or they are a terrible #5 team, but they had an awful GLI regardless.

And another thing I don't like about going to games at Joe for the GLI, is that it's basically a big home game for MSU/UofM, but what can you really do. Most Tech alum live around Detroit too (myself included), but I don't think most Michigan fans are alums though. The building went nuts when UofM finally scored.

The attendance for the championship game was really good though, probably better than most Wings games this season.

And Bud Lynch needs to retire - during the pre-game announcements, he called the Huskies, "the Wolverines" a horrible no-no, and before the 1st OT, he said that there would be a 15 minute intermission, then a shootout. No, Bud, that's the NHL, to which he corrected himself, and stated the sudden death OT.

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
Awesome win for us tonight. It feels good to finally get that 11 year GLI slump over with. To win this thing missing 4 players to the WJC is even more impressive.

And State continues to get exposed against any hockey team with a pulse. They have played 5 non-conference games against the other two major conferences and have 2 home ice ties to show for it. In league, they were swept at home by the only over-.500 team they have played (Miami). I suppose it's a virtue to be 12-0 against the cup cakes, since a lot of teams drop occasional softies. But being 0-5-2 against teams that don't suck is pretty pathetic for a team that thinks itself top 5 caliber.

That said, they'll probably end up tallying their first relevant win against us in a couple weekends. Rare that either team sweeps a home and home weekend in that rivalry.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Ok, time for me to add my two cents to the mix, so here it goes....

I've been watching the GLI for several years now and I can't remember a better championship game than this one. It was sad that someone had to lose because both teams, especially the goalies played extremely well in this game. And a big congrats to Michigan on the win. Red was totally glowing after the game. Did anyone else see that?

If the GLI had an honorable mention to the All-Tourney team, then Rob Nolan would've gotten my vote. He made some fantastic saves in this game. I think Porter is going to have nightmares about that guy with all the chances that he (Porter) was denied on. Ditto for Jimmy Kerr with regard to Billy Sauer. I think Billy has done quite a bit of maturing as a player thus far this season and he's got the confidence to go with it and he showed that in the GLI. 87 combined saves in the GLI to post the double shutout is pretty amazing.

Let's also tip the hat to some unsung heroes in this game (and I'll get to MSU & PC in a moment)..

1) Louie Caporusso hasn't missed a beat returning to the lineup. I thought he was awesome in the GLI and same with Palushaj, who just seemed to make something happpen out there everytime he was on the ice.

2) Aside from Nolan, the two Tech players that I thought had a fantastic tourney were Tyler Shelast (are you NHL teams listening out there?!) and Geoff Kinrade. Both made the All-Tourney team and deservedly so. Kerr may be the glue that holds Tech together but Shelast is definitely the team's catalyst and the one who can get everyone going...and did! Kinrade did a fantastic job of shadowing Porter and Kolarik throughout the game, not an easy task.

Now for some observations on the PC-MSU game. First off, congrats to PC on getting third place. The wheels just seemed to fall off of MSU in the 3rd and PC broke it wide open. However, for those of you that missed it, Mike Ratchuk scored an unbelievable highlight reel goal for MSU. It was kind of similar to the Blake Wheeler game-winner against UND in last year's WCHA Final Five, except Ratchuk was trailing the play and decided to jump up almost at the last second. Anyway, it was just awesome....probbably the only real shining moment of the game for MSU. When PC was able to break the game open that's when they took over and just kept coming. MSU didn't help their cause either with some really bad turnovers.

Ratchuk was IMO the most impressive Spartan of the weekend. He played really well and his reads have gotten better and his positional play is more solid. He's also taking some smart risks too. His defensive partner, Jeff Petry was very impressive too.

For PC, the guys that get my vote for top performers are defensemen Cody Wild and Mark Fayne. They're not defensive partners but they were both impressive. On the Friars first goal, Wild made a great block in the PC zone and managed to get the puck up to Kyle MacKinnon going towards the MSU zone, creating an odd-man w/Rheault ending scoring the goal. Wild did get an assist but he was also the one that made it possible too. Fayne was just absolutely brutal out there at times. Played the body alot but also made some smart defensive plays and really did a good job of staying with Kennedy and Abdelkader. Again, no simple task.

BTW, in case anyone is wondering, the invited team to next year's GLI - North Dakota. Better circle it on your calendars! Should be another good one at the Joe.

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
BTW, in case anyone is wondering, the invited team to next year's GLI - North Dakota. Better circle it on your calendars! Should be another good one at the Joe.

Can't say I'll be shedding a tear about it being MSU's turn to host the invitee next year. Tech is no slouch, but NoDak is NoDak.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
its great, its great, to be a Michigan Wolverine
its great, its great, to be a Michigan Wolverine......:teach:

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Teslak is out injured. Hurt his knee against Northern Michigan a few weeks back when he got run into.

Thanks for the update...I thought that may be the case but couldn't find any info. It doesn't look like they will be hurting with Nolan between the pipes. What a great weekend for him.

Bob Probert Owns You

Sep 25, 2007
MI
Michigan with a nice win over Western Michigan tonight at Yost. A 6-1 score helped welcome new head football coach Rich Rodriguez, who attended the game in a U of M hockey jersey. Rodriguez played "Score-o" and looked absolutely terrible. He kinda took a golf swing towards the puck and missed the net entirely. He said it was his first hockey game ever and he loved the speed and physicality.

Tough stretch of games coming up for the Wolverines... hopefully we can run the gauntlet after another easy win over Wastern.... errr I mean Western! :sarcasm:

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
Michigan with a nice win over Western Michigan tonight at Yost. A 6-1 score helped welcome new head football coach Rich Rodriguez, who attended the game in a U of M hockey jersey. Rodriguez played "Score-o" and looked absolutely terrible. He kinda took a golf swing towards the puck and missed the net entirely. He said it was his first hockey game ever and he loved the speed and physicality.

Tough stretch of games coming up for the Wolverines... hopefully we can run the gauntlet after another easy win over Wastern.... errr I mean Western! :sarcasm:

RichRod had a funny interview with the student broadcasters. He said he came out a few hours early to practice score-o and was hitting the net every time and even scored a couple. But he was terrible in the live performance. He said he choked!

Good win for Michigan. Tonight's game will be harder on the road.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
RichRod had a funny interview with the student broadcasters. He said he came out a few hours early to practice score-o and was hitting the net every time and even scored a couple. But he was terrible in the live performance. He said he choked!

Good win for Michigan. Tonight's game will be harder on the road.

In recent years, Lawson has been a house of horrors of sort for visiting teams, but Michigan seems to be unfazed by the Lawson Lunatics. In fact, they were quite subtle tonight...well maybe except early in the game.

WMU had their chances, but just couldn't sustain their attack. Michigan's speed really caused the Broncos all sorts of problems. The WMU defense also had trouble keeping the puck in the offense zone. I counted at least three times in the game where they turned over the puck.

The one thing that has impressed me about the Wolverines this season (and it was also evident in this game) that many people aren't talking much about, is their vastly improved defensive play, specifically their penalty killing. Yes, Sauer has been great but I think this is more of the team as a whole being more accountable and conscientious about their defensive zone coverage. It's not just about keeping the goals against down either. It's about making life miserable for opposing teams in their (UM's) own end of the rink and protecting it at all costs.

Having said of all this, the crucial tests will come in the next few weeks. They face Notre Dame next week, MSU after that, then NMU and the biggest test of all is the Feb.8/9 showdown at Miami. I've seen Miami a couple of time already this season and if there is one team coming up that I think can give the Wolverines all kinds of problems, it's Miami. Everyone talks about Ryan Jones and Nathan Davis, but the RedHawks are getting contributions from everybody...and they're getting it done even without Davis in the lineup.

The most recent Miami game that I've seen was Friday's game versus UNO. If Miami has one achilles heel, it might be the fact that they're a heavily penalized team. They're a great PK team but if Miami has the kind of parade to the sin bin against Michigan in a few weeks that they had against UNO on Friday night, Michigan could burn them.

Bob Probert Owns You

Sep 25, 2007
MI
In recent years, Lawson has been a house of horrors of sort for visiting teams, but Michigan seems to be unfazed by the Lawson Lunatics. In fact, they were quite subtle tonight...well maybe except early in the game.

WMU had their chances, but just couldn't sustain their attack. Michigan's speed really caused the Broncos all sorts of problems. The WMU defense also had trouble keeping the puck in the offense zone. I counted at least three times in the game where they turned over the puck.

The one thing that has impressed me about the Wolverines this season (and it was also evident in this game) that many people aren't talking much about, is their vastly improved defensive play, specifically their penalty killing. Yes, Sauer has been great but I think this is more of the team as a whole being more accountable and conscientious about their defensive zone coverage. It's not just about keeping the goals against down either. It's about making life miserable for opposing teams in their (UM's) own end of the rink and protecting it at all costs.

Having said of all this, the crucial tests will come in the next few weeks. They face Notre Dame next week, MSU after that, then NMU and the biggest test of all is the Feb.8/9 showdown at Miami. I've seen Miami a couple of time already this season and if there is one team coming up that I think can give the Wolverines all kinds of problems, it's Miami. Everyone talks about Ryan Jones and Nathan Davis, but the RedHawks are getting contributions from everybody...and they're getting it done even without Davis in the lineup.

The most recent Miami game that I've seen was Friday's game versus UNO. If Miami has one achilles heel, it might be the fact that they're a heavily penalized team. They're a great PK team but if Miami has the kind of parade to the sin bin against Michigan in a few weeks that they had against UNO on Friday night, Michigan could burn them.

I agree with you. This upcoming stretch is treacherous. I am hoping Michigan comes out above .500, at the very least. I am really, really looking forward to the MSU and Miami games... GO BLUE!! :yo:

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I agree with you. This upcoming stretch is treacherous. I am hoping Michigan comes out above .500, at the very least. I am really, really looking forward to the MSU and Miami games... GO BLUE!! :yo:

Man, that's going to be a great series with Miami. It's looking to be the highlight series of the year. I'm looking forward to that one more than the Min/Wisc. Border Battle...can't believe I said that.

It looks like Sauer has his act together. I bad-mouthed him on this board earlier but he has proven his detractors wrong by winning some tough ones (GLI against Tech comes to mind) and being top 5 statistically in every major goalie category. The team as a whole is very impressive for one that no one really expected a great deal from this year.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Very impressive weekend from the Wolverines...and a great night last night for Kolarik. Sauer continues to play very well...2 goals allowed in his last 4 games. I was really tempted to get an SRO ticket for the game but I chose to stay home and watch Wings-Sens and the two football games. Two big series coming up with Notre Dame this weekend and MSU in two weeks...both games are going to be on FSN Detroit.

Bob Probert Owns You

Sep 25, 2007
MI
Annnnnnnnnnnd Michigan takes another from the barely Fighting Irish of Notre Dame tonight by a score of 5-1!!!! Before a crowd of over 10,000 at the Palace, the lively Wolverines pummeled ND into submission and chased the starting goalie, who allowed 4 goals on 18 shots. BIG two game sweep for UM. Some more big games coming up soon . . .

GO BLUE!! :cheer:

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
Tremendous weekend. That was a statement sweep. But next weekend is even more important than this one was. MSU is only 4 points behind us, and they've played Miami while we have not. They're our real threat in the CCHA, not a Miami team who is tied with us having played 2 more games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad