GDT: The official Tripp-isms thread

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Ok, I get George Lucas because it’s Star Wars night, but why would Steven Spielberg be a “huge Caniac”? He has nothing to do with Star Wars, right?

PS: I’m just starting up the game now, 5 hours behind, so forgive me.

Reactions: DaveG and zman77

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Spielberg and Lucas are like best friends. I dont know if Spielberg is officially credited on any star wars movies but he definitely was around Lucas during the time he was making them as they were making the Indiana Jones movies together around the same time

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Spielberg and Lucas are like best friends. I dont know if Spielberg is officially credited on any star wars movies but he definitely was around Lucas during the time he was making them as they were making the Indiana Jones movies together around the same time

"No, but it's complicated."

Did Spielberg have any involvement in filming Star Wars?

After visiting the set of Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977), George Lucas was sure Close Encounters would outperform the yet-to-be-released Star Wars at the box office. Steven Spielberg disagreed, and felt Lucas's Star Wars would be the bigger hit. Lucas proposed they trade 2.5% of the profit on each other's films; Spielberg took the trade, and still receives 2.5% of the profits from Star Wars.

Also, he suggested John Williams to do the score.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
things start to hit you different when you start getting old. the sheer amount of time that most of us old timers have "spent" with tripp on the broadcast has mirrored our own growing up. there was a time where i would have been loathe to admit it, but tripp is a treasure. i hope he and john broadcast our games until they're tired of it.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I was in 5th grade during the 04-05 lockout and for our “final project” we had to do a presentation and a couple page research paper on any topic of our choosing. I chose how goaltending styles have changed over time. Not only was it a fun topic but it gave me an excuse to bring the hockey gear to school and “present” on the blacktop.

I think I had to reference at least one expert opinion or something like that, don’t fully remember, but I emailed Tripp to see if we could talk about it for a few min on the phone or via email. He emailed me back a few months later, and while I had already finished my project he was still very kind and complementary and excited and wanted to help if he still could.

Last edited:

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
It's intriguing that Tripp isn't more into communication...if I were a betting man, I would've slapped down good money that said he would be *over*extended in social media, etc. But no, it appears that he has very little use for direct interaction with the public.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
It's intriguing that Tripp isn't more into communication...if I were a betting man, I would've slapped down good money that said he would be *over*extended in social media, etc. But no, it appears that he has very little use for direct interaction with the public.

I’m guessing he tried twitter, his mentions were a tire fire, and he decided that shit wasn’t for him. I don’t blame him.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I’m guessing he tried twitter, his mentions were a tire fire, and he decided that **** wasn’t for him. I don’t blame him.
For a long time, he would engage with people through the FS Canes twitter account. Wasn't generally advertised that it was him specifically, but he was at least one of the users on the account.

And there have been enough incidents where active debates from HF have made the broadcast that I'm sure he lurks here on at least an occasional basis.

But really, he spends a lot of times on airplanes and in locker rooms hanging out with players, coaches, family, and other reporters. He doesn't really need to be hyper online.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site

i was actually going to mention this in my post earlier. tripp seems like he values conversations more than the brevity of twitter. if you ever caught him in a candid moment he would probably talk to you like he knew you. he seems to be one of the holdouts from early twitter that are looking smarter and smarter with everyone getting cancelled for being a bit too candid from the safety of their phones. if anyone would self-destruct with that kind of audience, it would be him. he's from the school of forslund which is the less you get the more you want. they're revered partially for those reasons. their presence isn't divisive and though i suspect their politics and religious beliefs differ from mine, i appreciate their ability to not compromise hockey for anyone.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Is it just me or has Tripp become....trippier (or Trippier) this season?

I mean, in the past, he'd have the occasional "What the hell is he talking about?" moment, where even Forslund is regretting sharing airtime with him. But they were relatively few and far between.

But between his Muppet show, the rant about Gloria Estafan and...well, just about every other broadcast now, he's getting a little out there.

Is it just me? And if it's not, I wonder if it was a conscious decision by Tripp, or if he (like the rest of us) is finally enjoying watching the team again?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00