GDT: The official Tripp-isms thread

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Is it just me or has Tripp become....trippier (or Trippier) this season?

I mean, in the past, he'd have the occasional "What the hell is he talking about?" moment, where even Forslund is regretting sharing airtime with him. But they were relatively few and far between.

But between his Muppet show, the rant about Gloria Estafan and...well, just about every other broadcast now, he's getting a little out there.

Is it just me? And if it's not, I wonder if it was a conscious decision by Tripp, or if he (like the rest of us) is finally enjoying watching the team again?

When I’m feeling euphoric I have a tendency to let myself go and just not care. I think that’s how Tripp feels lately, he’s just having a damn good time watching a pretty great hockey team.

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City

I mean, in the past, he'd have the occasional "What the hell is he talking about?" moment, where even Forslund is regretting sharing airtime with him. But they were relatively few and far between.

But between his Muppet show, the rant about Gloria Estafan and...well, just about every other broadcast now, he's getting a little out there.

Is it just me? And if it's not, I wonder if it was a conscious decision by Tripp, or if he (like the rest of us) is finally enjoying watching the team again?

Like you said, I think it's the winning and general overall improvement and looseness of the team/franchise/ownership. He started getting more out there last year but he seems to be cranking it up to the 11 level this year. Easier to do when not watching and commentating on sucky hockey.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Yeah I think you’re just seeing Tripp be himself, as he always has. He acts like he’s “one of the boys” and frankly, the boys are buzzing right now.

I also think that he always wants to be Mr. Positive and the fact that he doesn’t have to be completely full of shit when he’s being positive for the first time in years is liberating for him.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

He has...and he hasn't.

I feel like he's intentionally goofier than he was previous seasons, but it's also in less awkward ways than it used to be. I don't think I've heard a single dry "Thanks Tripp" out of Forslund this season. Even Forslund is laughing as he says "we need to get back to the action".

ETA: I think @LostInaLostWorld has a good point about the ownership being looser and having more fun now. Before, it felt like Tripp was trying to get away with things under the radar. Now it feels like he has been given to be out there.

It's less of Tripp throwing something out there that leaves most of us having to rewind to figure out what he said like it used to be. It's zanier, but I think it somehow makes more sense than it used to.

Or Tripp has just infected my brain to the point that he makes more sense to me now.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if upon re-signing him, they told him to go on with his bad self. He's a plenty fine analyst, but entertainment is a big part of this team and culture now, so they want him to go with it.

Funnily enough, even though I think John has been plenty grumpy and blunt at times this year (not in a bad way), he's usually just going with the flow with Tripp. I don't know if it's a note he got, he's just having fun with the team being so good, or he's just realizing how non-stop Tripp is going to be with his personality, but it's pretty fun. I never loved when he was super dismissive to the point of kind of being mean to Tripp (though it was and is funny sometimes).

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
I think Forslund truly enjoys Tripp. He likes to have fun too. And they are good friends. And yes, Tripp does sometimes irks him but he is going to let Tripp be Tripp. When JF does national games you can tell every once in a while he'll make some comment that Tripp would go off on and be semi dissappointed that whoever is doing color doesn't get it.

And think about it. Even in the past regime if JF wanted TT subdued or even gone it would happen. And for those who have posted about wanting TT gone, that would probably not go well with JF and make a move to NBC full time a much easier decision.

Highest Boss

Jan 15, 2014
Illinois
kopQh0K.jpg

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Could you imagine Tripp as a contestant on Jeopardy.
This books author describes the melody of a bird behind bars.

Tripp: Who is Maya Angelou? She is a huge caniac, if you didn’t know. (Without a breath taken) Alex do you watch hockey? Are you a huge caniac too? (Alex is in the background trying to cut in) Is your daily double sponsored by Taco Bell? That reminds me of the time I ate 6 tacos and 2 mexican pizzas from drive thru after a game. That is also why I wear stretch waist pants now.
Alex finally able to cut in: and now time for commercial. we’ll be right back.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
This books author describes the melody of a bird behind bars.

Tripp: Who is Maya Angelou? She is a huge caniac, if you didn’t know. (Without a breath taken) Alex do you watch hockey? Are you a huge caniac too? (Alex is in the background trying to cut in) Is your daily double sponsored by Taco Bell? That reminds me of the time I ate 6 tacos and 2 mexican pizzas from drive thru after a game. That is also why I wear stretch waist pants now.
Alex finally able to cut in: and now time for commercial. we’ll be right back.
So kinda like this?

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I think Trebek had a bit that would show on the jumbotron like before games as well. Something like "This is the Loudest House in the NHL" Then it'd switch to him with a jersey on and say "What is the RBC Center" or something. Or I might have dreamed the whole thing.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Wasn't Trebek part of the 2006 Let's Go Canes compilation?

He indeed was. I want to say they were filming the college championship in Raleigh that season when he recorded it.

I think Trebek had a bit that would show on the jumbotron like before games as well. Something like "This is the Loudest House in the NHL" Then it'd switch to him with a jersey on and say "What is the RBC Center" or something. Or I might have dreamed the whole thing.

Yes to all of the above and it was, indeed, for when the college championship filmed at PNC Arena. Although I think to @Azor Aho's point the clue was "These are the loudest fans in the NHL" and the answer was "Who are the Caniacs." I do wish theyd' still use that clip although I do enjoy the one with Gallows & Anderson now (although I'm sure anyone who's not a wrestling mark has no clue who they are).

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Yes that's what I was thinking of. I know I have that dvd in a box in a closet somewhere- I think the whole thing used to be on YouTube but I guess it got taken down

Reactions: DaveG

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I think Forslund truly enjoys Tripp. He likes to have fun too. And they are good friends. And yes, Tripp does sometimes irks him but he is going to let Tripp be Tripp. When JF does national games you can tell every once in a while he'll make some comment that Tripp would go off on and be semi dissappointed that whoever is doing color doesn't get it.

And think about it. Even in the past regime if JF wanted TT subdued or even gone it would happen. And for those who have posted about wanting TT gone, that would probably not go well with JF and make a move to NBC full time a much easier decision.

I think what makes it work is the same dynamic that made Doctor Drew and Adam Carolla so funny together back in the day- complete opposites, and the weirdo upsetting the straight laced one constantly.

Reactions: RodTheBawd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad