Speculation: The Official "The League is Against Us" Thread

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
This team is in the midst of a 2-10-2 period and there has been multiple games where they don't register their first shot until like ten minutes into the period, or go an entire period with only a few shots. They're not even close to playing hard enough to get consistent shots on net, how on earth would they be playing hard enough to draw penalties?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Shocked it took this long for this long for this thread to get created it.

I guess we can only blame bad goaltending, coaching, a GM who gave out bad contracts , lack of scoring, no team chemistry and other things for so long...

Let's try to convince ourselves the league is against us.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Any evidence of the league jobbing us can go in here. Maybe we can put it together in a nice package to send to the Oilers to forward to the league. Here's a kicker to get things started:

The Oilers have 5 total powerplays in their last 5 games. Yes, just 5.

Post this in the Main Boards why don't ya? I don't think they heard you the first time.

Reactions: McDrai

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You could make this thread for every team in the league.

No, you can't. A companion thread that disappeared off the top pages was the thread on video replays that clearly showed infractions that weren't called on our players. Flames get those calls all day, any game. They get such bogus weak calls and way more PP's than that club earns with their play. It happens anytime you watch the Flames.

I just looked up NHL stats on penalties drawn per 60mins. You get hack antagonists up there, pretty much filling the top ten. Players like Rinaldi, Tom Wilson. Some of these hacks actually draw as much or more penalties than they take and these players are dirty all day.

The NHL has a known and bad habit of several forms of prejudice in calls. They call reaction calls much more than initial infractions. Somehow we feel this is normal, but only due to how whacked the NHL has always been in this regard.

Connor McDavid is 50th in penalties drawn per 60mins in his NHL era. Thats absolutely ridiculous. In NBA he would have drawn the most fouls. By a wide margin. yet theres players that draw twice as many calls as McD. Drai isn't even on the list anywhere I can see and he's held 10 times a game.

Both Tkachuk brothers are among highest in drawing penalties in the NHL. Both draw way more than they take. The NHL rewards batshit players like this, antagonists, every game. Of course Ehlers, Marchand, all high on the list. You basically know what kind of f***ing hacks are on the list before you even look. In a credible league these would be the most penalized players, and way over what they draw..

But if it happens to be an Oiler somehow the league gets it right. Kass looks at a player and its 2mins. The NHL has zero tolerance on Zach Kassian, specifically, while letting 25 other players just maim guys on the ice.

The Calgary Flames have 8 players in their lineup that draw more penalties per 60 than Leon Draisaitl. Most of them are in Connor McDavid range. I mean think about that if you think there isn't any oddity or we're not being jobbed. WE are, every f***ing game.

Its not fiction. The disparity in calls is substantiated when you look up the numbers. The NHL plays favorites, and obviously.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Deserves special mention but the hit on Kaprisov this week, that could have ended another star players career, yielded 2mins. Because Boston. Not 5mins, not double minor, not game misconduct, 2 mins. It was a dirty f***ing play and the Bruin was looking to maim Kaprisov instead of having any interest in the puck, which was right there. The NHL allows this kind of clownsnow and targetting of their star players constantly. Good for Evason to call out the BS and be "exasperated" I'm sure he would have said a lot else if he thought he could get away with it.

'A predatory hit': Wild head coach calls out Bruins for how Kaprizov was hurt (sportsnet.ca)

But its the dirty sack of shit Bruins that get away with this as long as I've watched the NHL.

Will there even be a suspension?

If Zach made this hit he would get 25 games.

illegalsmile

Nov 27, 2021
Behind you!
This thread in itself makes being an Oiler fan embarrassing.
Anyone who believes any portion of this has never played the game above a Tier III level.

Dude, personally, supporting the Oilers has been embarrassing for twenty years, or more. Threads like this just highlight how much some some of our fans are willing to try anything to explain it, except face reality...

The only thing I don't get, is why is it always fans of bad teams that call the flawed officiating out? There is a problem with the officials not calling the book, all over the league. It never gets addressed, in general, only when a team is slowly tanking do fans of said team speak up. Tim Peel got fired for stating a fact. That's the embarrassing bit! It's why a good sense of humour is important if you're going to be a team sports fan.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Dude, personally, supporting the Oilers has been embarrassing for twenty years, or more. Threads like this just highlight how much some some of our fans are willing to try anything to explain it, except face reality...

The only thing I don't get, is why is it always fans of bad teams that call the flawed officiating out? There is a problem with the officials not calling the book, all over the league. It never gets addressed, in general, only when a team is slowly tanking do fans of said team speak up. Tim Peel got fired for stating a fact. That's the embarrassing bit! It's why a good sense of humour is important if you're going to be a team sports fan.

this thread hits a new level of crazy

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

This is absolute bs. Poster searches for some random site I've never heard of to prop up his view, rather than going to the actual source of stats, the NHL. Your citation isn't even annotated or time stamped. Meaning that even at surface glimpse the stats contained are rendered meaningless as you don't know when they were taken.

To wit the Oilers drawing penalties is 31st in league, only the Sabres have drawn less. That is the CURRENT stat on the season. lol why didn't you go right to the NHL site to get the updated stat?

Nor is this in isolation. Through the extent of Connor McDavid career the Oilers are 26th in penalties drawn per 60 mins. Calgary is 4th. Calgary gets 1.5 minutes more PP on average, per game, a marked difference and over several seasons. Thats almost one more PP per game for Calgary. With what PP scoring rates look like this just isn't edifice. It can often be the difference between winning and losing.

Yet theres the Flames in penalties drawn. Behind only Tampa, Florida, Colorado. in that top 4 one guess which club looks out of place. The top 3 are talent laden clubs that play a quick up tempo style that legitimately draw penalties. Calgary should be nowhere among that bunch.

Not sure how you came to 11 teams having less penalties either, more made up nonsense.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
No, we just suck and will be picking top 10 this draft.

This organization is effectively squandering McDavid and Draisaitl’s prime years.

It’s completely shameful and pathetic.

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
This is embarrassing.

why is this team that’s made constant bad moves, hires, and decisions bad ? It must be a conspiracy ! This is the equivalent of this guy I work with who has a history of terrible life choices, hangs out with people who take advantage of him and constantly makes terrible financial choices, yet every other day he’s going off on how “it’s the government’s fault he’s struggling”.

Last edited:

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
I can’t believe anyone would defend the NHL and it’s officiating after the Tim Peel incident. The hot mic recording confirmed once and for all what the officials are hired to do. They don’t deserve the benefit of the doubt on anything.

Nobody will defend the nhl/officiating, just that the Idea that they’re out to get the oilers for some reason is ridiculous

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Why can’t it be both the team sucks and they get a worse hand dealt in league-wide shitty officiating?

At the very least, the lack of calls that McDavid generates is embarrassing. Other superstars, too

Reactions: TB12 and Drivesaitl

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
Why can’t it be both the team sucks and they get a worse hand dealt in league-wide shitty officiating?

At the very least, the lack of calls that McDavid generates is embarrassing. Other superstars, too
Hilarious!!! Why us? Why the Oilers? Cause we are perennial champions?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad