The Official Team Canada/Ice Hockey Olympics Thread - PART V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
And get a whole bunch of penalties in the process while accomplishing little?

If Benn-Getzalf-Perry isn't getting it done as a power line, its probably not possible. You can't crash the net in international rules and reffing like the NHL, and its always going to be hard to get rebounds against a 5 man box no matter how strong and tough you are.

Getting through wasn't a problem. They had plenty of scoring chances. They lack finish.
There's also a few guys looking rather flat out there and not playing nearly as well as they do in the NHL.
I wouldn't necessarily bring a Marchand-Berg-Lucic line but I don't disagree with bringing in maybe less talented guys in order to give the upper lines more playing time and get more chemistry going. Top 3-6 offensive players need a lot of ice time, especially on bigger ice.

Anyways, nobody has much of an idea of how Canada will perform vs the States tomorrow. We played crap teams so it's tough to predict. People say the defense have played amazing but we played some seriously crappy offensive teams, so that really doesn't mean much. To be honest, I was pretty disappointed with the number of scoring chances we gave up to Latvia. We're talking about a team that had 1 NHLer. Anyways, we're the favorites to win, our team on paper is incredible, but I'm not as confident as I thought I'd be.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Price is taking heat for letting in one goal so I doubt that

Price could get a 200 save shutout with USA's goalie facing 2 shots perimeter shots all game and the game go to the shootout and he could stop 100 shooters with spectacular saves and let in one on the 101st shot with every single Canadian shooter missing the net and still be blamed by Canucks fans.

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
They're just mad because their goalie isn't playing, but anyone with minimal hockey knowledge knows Price is the best goalie right now. And they still have Hamhuis the amazing on D who's playing instead of the reigning Norris winner, they should be happy.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
I think I will ignore this board tomorrow. It's going to be unbearable. Price blame is going to be at an all time high.

Probably. This is but one more test for Mr. Price. He will give us his best and that's all we can ask for. In the end, he comes back to the Habs and gets us ready for the playoffs.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
Getting through wasn't a problem. They had plenty of scoring chances. They lack finish.
There's also a few guys looking rather flat out there and not playing nearly as well as they do in the NHL.
I wouldn't necessarily bring a Marchand-Berg-Lucic line but I don't disagree with bringing in maybe less talented guys in order to give the upper lines more playing time and get more chemistry going. Top 3-6 offensive players need a lot of ice time, especially on bigger ice.

Anyways, nobody has much of an idea of how Canada will perform vs the States tomorrow. We played crap teams so it's tough to predict. People say the defense have played amazing but we played some seriously crappy offensive teams, so that really doesn't mean much. To be honest, I was pretty disappointed with the number of scoring chances we gave up to Latvia. We're talking about a team that had 1 NHLer. Anyways, we're the favorites to win, our team on paper is incredible, but I'm not as confident as I thought I'd be.

If you want to give the top guys more playing time, just give the top guys more playing time. Taking worse players for the bottom lines aren't going to help any.

Don't rely on pure offense/PP guys in the bottom six in that event, but Canada didn't take many of them this time out.

They had about a 75-80% advantage on scoring chances, that's about as good as it gets playing against professionals. I don't now if there is anything more they could be expected to do while still pressing for the winning goal.

The really interesting thing for me about the game is whether the American's will be willing to open up and try play Canada like equals rather than the conservative approach they used in Vancouver. Last team to try and play the Canadians head on was Russia in the 2010 quarter final and after that nobody has thought they had the horses to do it. But the Americans are doing well enough that they might try it.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Rask was stellar, he's the main reason Finland was that good.
Oh, I know that. Rask is an amazing goalie. But Kari Lehtonen and Antti Niemi are more than capable in their own right. I wouldn't be too worried going to war with either guy.

Same thing if Price got hurt. It would suck, but Luongo and Smith are more than capable of stealing games themselves.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
If you want to give the top guys more playing time, just give the top guys more playing time. Taking worse players for the bottom lines aren't going to help any.

Don't rely on pure offense/PP guys in the bottom six in that event, but Canada didn't take many of them this time out.

They had about a 75-80% advantage on scoring chances, that's about as good as it gets playing against professionals. I don't now if there is anything more they could be expected to do while still pressing for the winning goal.

The really interesting thing for me about the game is whether the American's will be willing to open up and try play Canada like equals rather than the conservative approach they used in Vancouver. Last team to try and play the Canadians head on was Russia in the 2010 quarter final and after that nobody has thought they had the horses to do it. But the Americans are doing well enough that they might try it.

Sure, I'm not saying to bring in Steve Begin here. But bring in guys that can do very well in a more limited role with less ice time. Not that Canada has been bad, but I understand why someone would want to bring in more guys like Bergeron for bottom line duties.

As for the scoring chances, again, take it with a grain of salt, we haven't face much of an opponent yet. Today should be interesting.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
It's midnight in Australia and I'm enjoying the Sweden Finland game.

Should I sleep for 2 hours and get up at 3:30 am to watch canada usa?

decisions, decisions.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Only if he lets more than 2 goals in he will be blamed.
I hope we don't have to find out.
I can see Team Canada exploding tomorrow.

There is too much talent there.
Sooner or later you'd think some of our guys would put the puck in the net. No Tavares though... that seriously sucks. Duchene is great though...
Subban scratched again tonight? Duchene too?
What? I think Duchene is in isn't he? He's replacing Tavares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad