The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread Pt. II

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
He was on the show for more than one year. His attitude toward the Sens was the same every year.

I am not now and have never been an uncritical fan of the Sens management by any means and that is not what I expect from the radio hosts.

But he seemed to have a chip on his shoulder all the time . The callers weren't all stupid, some of them had more pertinent and interesting things to say than Eastwood, but his ego prevented him from letting them have their say if they didn't agree with him. There were many times that I wished he would just shut up and listen.

With AJ we have a host that doesn't dislike the team he is covering, knows a lot of the players from covering junior teams and will actually listen to points of view other than his own..

He was a fringe player. He though that gave him the right to know it all.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
What I didn't like about Eastwood was his undying support for the pluggers who could do no wrong because he was one of them. The stars? He reeked of jealousy and bitterness towards the stars. I'll say this: he said we all didn't want to hear. I remember that 07-08 season he was seeing the collapse before all of us did under Paddock. I don't like Donovan at all. He is a nice guy but he sounds stupid and someone who is scared to voice his true opinion. Eastwood wasn't and I'll miss that.

kyle747

May 10, 2005
He was a fringe player. He though that gave him the right to know it all.

He played almost 800 games. How much of a fringe player could he have been ?

While I wasn't a huge fan, and he clearly had an attitude going on, at least he wasn't el-blando never holding management to account for their many mistakes or ever saying anything controversial. I just want someone to counter the Dean-Gord butt-lickers & the ignorance of the Garrioch-Scanlan group.

Commentator's have become like players, never really say anything anymore

jordan7hm

Aug 31, 2007
Jason York is making an ass of himself on the air right now. (talking about the simmonds / avery thing)

Lloyd is doing a good job.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Jason York is making an ass of himself on the air right now. (talking about the simmonds / avery thing)

Lloyd is doing a good job.

Honestly, my expectation for this thread is that whenever it reaches the top of the main board's page, it's because someone said something awfully stupid, and for absolutely no other reason.

It's a crummy expectation to have.

jordan7hm

Aug 31, 2007
I like York. He's no Galley but he's not Eastwood.

But...

This is one of those things where even if you disagree, just shut up about it. Don't compare calling someone a ****** to calling someone fat. Especially (as Lloyd brought up) Avery, who made all those pro-gay marriage comments during the summer.

Pretending not to understand why it's different because you aren't willing to just come out and say that you don't think there's anything wrong with calling someone a ****** is pretty ****** radio.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
One thing about Mike "it is what it is" Eastwood........ he will never be called a homer.
The 1200 guys know they walk a fine line when it comes to being too critical of the hometown club. I found Eastwood a refreshing change and enjoyed the banter during the post game with callers.
AJ has potential but I think Donovan will tow the party line. Great stories though with all of the teams he has been on.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
One thing about Mike "it is what it is" Eastwood........ he will never be called a homer.
The 1200 guys know they walk a fine line when it comes to being too critical of the hometown club. I found Eastwood a refreshing change and enjoyed the banter during the post game with callers.
AJ has potential but I think Donovan will tow the party line. Great stories though with all of the teams he has been on.

Uhmmm....but he never made any educated opinions...he would just say "that's stupid", or "you're wrong"...never explained anything...

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
With Donovan I don't think he so much follows the company line as that he finds it difficult to come down hard on any player,...he sees things from the players poiht of view and often seems to be defending or explaining their actions.

But being good natured doesnt mean being dumb, he is just getting his feet wet in this business.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Uhmmm....but he never made any educated opinions...he would just say "that's stupid", or "you're wrong"...never explained anything...

You're right. If the comments were stupid or wrong based on his experience and hockey background which "joe fan " doesn't have, then he would tell them so.
This is why he was so refreshing compared to other hosts. No homer here!
He would usually attempt to explain his point until he got frustrated and reverted to his patented "it is what it is" comment.
Everybody brings their own personality to the show but I just happen to prefer unbiased accounts of the Sens from someone who has been there. I suspect Donovan will improve with time and put his own stamp on the post game show as well.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
You're right. If the comments were stupid or wrong based on his experience and hockey background which "joe fan " doesn't have, then he would tell them so.
He would usually attempt to explain his point until he got frustrated and reverted to his patented "it is what it is" comment.
Everybody brings their own personality to the show but I just happen to prefer unbiased accounts of the Sens from someone who has been there. I suspect Donovan will improve with time and put his own stamp on the post game show as well.

I just don't remember too many instances where he furthered the point he was trying to make. I found that he would make fun of the person, rather than the point they were trying to make. It's no secret that most of the callers on the post game show have no idea what they're talking about, but he could refute their points rather than tell them that they're stupid.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

completely agree.
eastwood was my personal favorite. i never understood why people didn't or don't like him on the radio. unless they were the dumb people calling in. (someone has to be the dumb caller right?)

Spire2000

Jan 22, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Looks like some new blood at the station...

Apparently Dave Gross is back with the Team 1200 doing Sens game day hosting, the job Steve LLoyd used to have and was given to Scott MacArthur last year.

JR was talking about having lunch with Todd White last week, with the subtext being that he was interviewing.

Valley Boys

Man, I hope that's true. At least the ex-players come across as having actually watched the games. Honestly, it seems like Lee Versage and Phil Melanson are actually watching sportsnet while they're working trying to come up with something to say.

jordan7hm

Aug 31, 2007
Man, I hope that's true. At least the ex-players come across as having actually watched the games. Honestly, it seems like Lee Versage and Phil Melanson are actually watching sportsnet while they're working trying to come up with something to say.

I will be so happy when those two idiots get replaced.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Did someone dare suggest that the team isn't doing well?

He said the team has 60 games to turn it around. Someone tweeted if that was the case they wouldnt figure it out until the end of the year. They need to fix it by January.

That is what set him off. He also has called listeners moronic. How does he have a job?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad