TSN: The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread - PART XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
You're right.

It just gets a bit too obvious and off putting when they get defensive like that and go from being objective to just espousing emotional retorts.
Yea, but consider. This team is last and has been at the bottom for 5 years. It has been outside of the top 10 for the last 16/17 years now. The defenders have had to work overtime. Imagine trying to spin what may prove to be a new futility record for the NHL (I love to know if any team in the post 67 expansion era, has been this bad over 5 years). I am guessing that Dean, Gord, Bruce and one or two others have had enough. So they get testy!!

It has to be a heck of a lot easier to be a mouth piece for, Boston/Tampa/Washington/Pittsburg and one or two other teams. Way less spin and defending. The Sens are in Detroit Lions territory. Imagine what their mouth pieces have been doing? Think of the Sabers and Cayotes! The spin coming out of Buffalo must be a tornado.

To use Hockeyisms..Gord and Dean are being asked to make Chicken salad out of chicken shit. And after a while, it becomes that much harder!!! I have been saying it for a while now. It is way better to keep those two of the air. But I am guessing the team is insisting on it...They need their spin.

Be grateful, where it not for a feud between TSN1200 and Bruce. You would be knee deep in him.

Reactions: IlTerrifico

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yea, but consider. This team is last and has been at the bottom for 5 years. It has been outside of the top 10 for the last 16/17 years now. The defenders have had to work overtime. Imagine trying to spin what may prove to be a new futility record for the NHL (I love to know if any team in the post 67 expansion era, has been this bad over 5 years). I am guessing that Dean, Gord, Bruce and one or two others have had enough. So they get testy!!

It has to be a heck of a lot easier to be a mouth piece for, Boston/Tampa/Washington/Pittsburg and one or two other teams. Way less spin and defending. The Sens are in Detroit Lions territory. Imagine what their mouth pieces have been doing? Think of the Sabers and Cayotes! The spin coming out of Buffalo must be a tornado.

To use Hockeyisms..Gord and Dean are being asked to make Chicken salad out of chicken shit. And after a while, it becomes that much harder!!! I have been saying it for a while now. It is way better to keep those two of the air. But I am guessing the team is insisting on it...They need their spin.

Be grateful, where it not for a feud between TSN1200 and Bruce. You would be knee deep in him.
For sure. It is a heck of a task they're willing to undertake.

I'm sure that in a few years, if things go well, they will be chomping at the bit to tell everyone I told you so as if there was no route to success possible other than the very long slow game they played.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I don't get his toronto take.
I rather overpay Marner and Tavares by 2 mill than to have White, Murray MDZ, and Zaitzev on the roster.

Toronto doesnt have any dead weight on their roster

Now if you want to talk about salary allocation on their roster then that is a different story and not what Ottawa is dealing with

Uh, no??? It's way easier to get rid of dead weight salary than it is to scale back an overpaid core player.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Uh, no??? It's way easier to get rid of dead weight salary than it is to scale back an overpaid core player.
In a lot of cases you'd be right, but that set of names?

I'd bet my house that Marner, and probably Tavares too, would be a hell of a lot easier to deal than the 4 other guys with negative value in large part from their contracts.

Reactions: Deku

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Not if the "overpaid" players are still top-end stars.

Toronto would have no problem trading Mitch Marner this summer (although they'd have no reason to).
We'd have a significant problem trading Colin White.

Overpaying Matthews and Marner is fine. You'll still be a top team, because those guys will put up 180 points a season combined. Would it be nice to have Marner at $9.5M instead of $11M? Sure. But it's not fatal. Toronto is still in 1st place, and will be a contender for the duration of those contracts.

Overpaying 3rd and 4th liners? A recipe for disaster. Look what what happened in Vancouver.

Reactions: topshelf15

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Toronto would have no problem trading Mitch Marner this summer (although they'd have no reason to).

Overpaying Matthews and Marner is fine. You'll still be a top team, because those guys will put up 180 points a season combined. Would it be nice to have Marner at $9.5M instead of $11M? Sure. But it's not fatal. Toronto is still in 1st place, and will be a contender for the duration of those contracts.

Overpaying 3rd and 4th liners? A recipe for disaster. Look what what happened in Vancouver.

If you put a poll up asking “Would you be happy if Ottawa traded for Matthew’s” 99% of Ottawa fans would say yes

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Ottawa in last place, Toronto in first place.

Toronto can afford these players because we took Zaitsev, and Phaneuf. Toronto is good because we helped them be good. Ottawa is bad because Toronto helped us be bad.

Exactly, because their ownership can afford to take our dead weight contracts. They regularly pay out way more in actual salary than their cap hit, were as we regularly have a higher cap hit than our salary.

It all goes back to ownership.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Exactly, because their ownership can afford to take our dead weight contracts. They regularly pay out way more in actual salary than their cap hit, were as we regularly have a higher cap hit than our salary.

So much dead cap money between Ryan, Phaneuf, Murray and Del Zotto - if Ottawa replaced all that they’d have a $10 million player. Imagine what a Seth Jones or Noah Hanafin does for this team

Last edited:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

The way Toronto structured contracts would make it easier to move stars like Marner, etc. as well. The actual salary owed is quite a bit less after signing bonuses are paid. Marner would attract a lot of interest if he was ever made available.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Ottawa in last place, Toronto in first place.

Toronto can afford these players because we took Zaitsev, and Phaneuf. Toronto is good because we helped them be good. Ottawa is bad because Toronto helped us be bad.

Lets not forget about the infamous Toronto tank to get Matthews!

Reactions: swiftwin

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
So much dead cap money between Ryan, Phaneuf, Murray and Del Zotto - if Ottawa replaced all that they’d have a $10 million player. Imagine what a Seth Jones or Noah Hanafin does for this team

Except, we dumped even more money in the form of Cowen, Michalek and Greening in the Phaneuf trade.

If you do the math on the whole Phaneuf trade tree, from the contracts we dumped on Toronto, all the way to us trading Phaneuf to LA, with the bit of retention, along with the uninsured portion of Gaborik's contract I bet you we saved money. Or at the very least, paid Phaneuf a reasonable amount for the 1.5yrs of him as a serviceable top 4 defenseman.

Ryan was signed a looong time ago, before Dorion, and before Melnyk started cheaping out.

MDZ is a measley $2m. We can either buy him out or just not re-sign him after next season. This is my point. It's easy to not re-sign or buyout MDZ and replace him with someone else. You can't realistically dump Marner if you overpaid him by 2-3m, because there's no way to replace him. You're stuck with him.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Except, we dumped even more money in the form of Cowen, Michalek and Greening in the Phaneuf trade.

If you do the math on the whole Phaneuf trade tree, from the contracts we dumped on Toronto, all the way to us trading Phaneuf to LA, with the bit of retention, along with the uninsured portion of Gaborik's contract I bet you we saved money. Or at the very least, paid Phaneuf a reasonable amount for the 1.5yrs of him as a serviceable top 4 defenseman.

Ryan was signed a looong time ago, before Dorion, and before Melnyk started cheaping out.

MDZ is a measley $2m. We can either buy him out or just not re-sign him after next season. This is my point. It's easy to not re-sign or buyout MDZ and replace him with someone else. You can't realistically dump Marner if you overpaid him by 2-3m, because there's no way to replace him. You're stuck with him.

Zaitsev and Murray between them is $11 million and contribute less to Ottawa winning the Tyler Ennis does. Not expecting it to be perfect but man Ottawa’s cap management has been horrible for a team that has financial problems

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Truth. Mark Stone also alluded to something similar about being excited having an arena downtown

Kind of a forgotten point, players like Ryan, Stone, and Methot will say they loved playing here, but if you're a free agent your experience is as a visitor, and that's entirely different. I always thought of having a crappy visitors dressing room as a tactical advantage, make the other team uncomfortable, but if that's the lense they view the team through I could backfire come UFA signing time.

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe and Yak

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

So “it all goes back to ownership”… that could mean more than one thing.

It could mean ownership is doing a terrible job at picking the right people to run (all aspects of ) their organization… and as a result, paying customers are not patronizing the home games, in order to turn a profit.

It could also mean that ownership is unwilling to dig into their own money (not generated from the team) and just spend like Scrooge McDuck.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
A congrats to our boys (well sort of).

Athletico Madrid moves on to the Knock Out stage.

My Liverpool Reds are a perfect 6 and 0. Nothing like a Stuttgarter managing an al-Gharbiyyan and a man from the "Land of Taranga". Sprinkle in some "Brasilieros" and you have a perfect blend.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
So “it all goes back to ownership”… that could mean more than one thing.

It could mean ownership is doing a terrible job at picking the right people to run (all aspects of ) their organization… and as a result, paying customers are not patronizing the home games, in order to turn a profit.

It could also mean that ownership is unwilling to dig into their own money (not generated from the team) and just spend like Scrooge McDuck.
So ,EM would rather a floor team with no shot at building up his product thus allowing him to make more money???Seems kinda like it should be the opposite

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Change the name of the Lou Marsh...way to many issues.

It'll come sooner than later. They are going to take their time with it tho so they dont look like they caved to the 'woke mob' as some like to say.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Haha had to turn my radio off for the Dave Smart interview. Didn't start hot at all.

He actually had pretty interesting things to say, like that he doesn’t think it makes sense to send a player down to build confidence. He said it might actually be detrimental and that unless a player was really struggling badly it is better in his view to have him competing and learning at the highest level.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
why we struggle to trust government and media.
the first Weather Canada
the second, the weather channel

How much further apart can they be? And which one do you trust?

upload_2021-12-9_9-35-59.png

upload_2021-12-9_9-37-22.png

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
He actually had pretty interesting things to say, like that he doesn’t think it makes sense to send a player down to build confidence. He said it might actually be detrimental and that unless a player was really struggling badly it is better in his view to have him competing and learning at the highest level.

I can see with the kind of success the Sens have had why they wouldn’t take Dave Smart’s advice.
I mean what does he know about winning and developing talent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad