Prospect Info: The Official Oscar Klefbom thread: Does he make the team out of camp?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
its also difficult to compare him to how Brodin jumped to NA, Brodin was already considered a better prospect in 2012, also he is a defensive defenseman with high hockey iq.

Klefbom was/is still getting defensive zone coverage down, as well as rounding out his offensive game(which is his calling card)

Brodin was already playing NA style in SEL and jump was as drastic

Klefbom was reported to be an offensive dman in some of the early scouting reports. But it sure sounds like he has been pretty much a shutdown derfender in the SEL. He had that role as well on Swedish WJHC team.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
It is so hard to say, Brodin came in this year and played very well. Of course we are all hoping that he succeeds but look at high Rundbland was and he is still not in the NHL.

You cant compare Klefbom with Rundblad. Rundblad had defensive issues in Sel, lot of braindead moves. He has to learn to play defense, if he ever do, big ? about his hockey IQ.

Klefbom is allround and a leader type of player , moving the puck very well when he have oppurtunity. People i talked to in Sweden in the hockey world speaks about him as the next Swedish superstar and almost everyone thinks hes gonna be better then Brodin, and these guys works in Sel teams(not Farjestad)!

I havent seen him enough, but he took a huge step with his play in the beginning of the season. He would probably pan out not worse then a second pairing defender.

Im not happy with rushing prospects, but in my book is Klefbom ready for Nhl next season.

nando2392

Apr 26, 2013
You cant compare Klefbom with Rundblad. Rundblad had defensive issues in Sel, lot of braindead moves. He has to learn to play defense, if he ever do, big ? about his hockey IQ.

Klefbom is allround and a leader type of player , moving the puck very well when he have oppurtunity. People i talked to in Sweden in the hockey world speaks about him as the next Swedish superstar and almost everyone thinks hes gonna be better then Brodin, and these guys works in Sel teams(not Farjestad)!

I havent seen him enough, but he took a huge step with his play in the beginning of the season. He would probably pan out not worse then a second pairing defender.

Im not happy with rushing prospects, but in my book is Klefbom ready for Nhl next season.

Awesome opinion, thank you for sharing it. Klefa is a solid player

The Perfect Human*

Yeah Klefbom took his biggest knock at draft time (questionable hockey sense, especially in the D zone) and turned it into his biggest strength.

He was lauded for having a Phaneuf-like offensive mindset at that draft. The ability to use his big shot and willingness to jump into the play to be a great offensive contributor. But people questioned the timing of some of his jump-ins and his defensive-zone awareness.

In the 1.5 years since the draft he's literally turned his game around and made it his biggest strength. That's remarkable. However I don't think his offensive game has matured/progressed the way most hoped it would.

I'd take a solid 2-way defenseman over a one-dimensional one any day of the week, however.

nando2392

Apr 26, 2013
Yeah Klefbom took his biggest knock at draft time (questionable hockey sense, especially in the D zone) and turned it into his biggest strength.

He was lauded for having a Phaneuf-like offensive mindset at that draft. The ability to use his big shot and willingness to jump into the play to be a great offensive contributor. But people questioned the timing of some of his jump-ins and his defensive-zone awareness.

In the 1.5 years since the draft he's literally turned his game around and made it his biggest strength. That's remarkable. However I don't think his offensive game has matured/progressed the way most hoped it would.

I'd take a solid 2-way defenseman over a one-dimensional one any day of the week, however.

Sounds like he is very coachable and is willing to learn and to develop his game. IMO he sound like an athlete that can learn faster than others.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

i remember at the draft, they were talking about how klefbom had all the physical tools, but there was questions surrounding whether he'd actually put it all together or not

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
I'm trying not to get too far ahead of myself because I know prospects are so unpredictable and anything can happen, but I really see Klefbom becoming a really good NHL player one day.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Wow that's some high praise for sure.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
To be honest, I've heard Swedish posters say the same about MPS/Lander/Omark in the past.

The difference being that he's talking about people in the business and that Sweden has had a great run the last while which wasn't the case when Paajarvi, Lander, and Omark were drafted. We'll see soon enough, IMO he has all of the physical tools needed, sounds like a leader (never heard that about Paajarvi or Omark that I recall), and he was a big part of a team that just rolled through the WJC's to a gold medal.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
And since when is a poster with "Location: Bergen" and a Norwegian the same as a Swedish poster?

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
And since when is a poster with "Location: Bergen" and a Norwegian the same as a Swedish poster?

Yes ! Bergen is my hometown, but i have lived and worked in Sweden for +15 years and are married to a swede! The company i work with are sponsors to a sel team in north and i have met a lot of sel players and leaders due sponsor happenings and other hockey events in Sweden.

I have followed Swedish hockey for 20 years and there have been a great improvement in their develop program last 5-6 years, the problem are that swedish hockey prospect leave way to early(before they have return something) and the sel teams hasnt been payed enough so they can replace their prospects with a decent player(to keep the high level) elsewhere and so that they can afford to keep their youth programs, the new Nhl agreement is a step in right direction.

The Perfect Human*

Yes ! Bergen is my hometown, but i have lived and worked in Sweden for +15 years and are married to a swede! The company i work with are sponsors to a sel team in north and i have met a lot of sel players and leaders due sponsor happenings and other hockey events in Sweden.

I have followed Swedish hockey for 20 years and there have been a great improvement in their develop program last 5-6 years, the problem are that swedish hockey prospect leave way to early(before they have return something) and the sel teams hasnt been payed enough so they can replace their prospects with a decent player(to keep the high level) elsewhere and so that they can afford to keep their youth programs, the new Nhl agreement is a step in right direction.

I rest my case.

Thanks for all the information by the way, as it's hard to come by people who've been exposed to Klefbom's SEL exploits as much as you. Not even much in terms of Swedish blogs or anything to keep track of him. Any idea as to how he compares to a player like Hedman or OEL before they came to North America?

The Perfect Human*

I think Marincin will be given a fair shot at training camp, based on what Mac T said about him.[/QUOTEN]Nooooooooo not a mact quote... That's the kiss of death.. He was the one who called He sky a one-shot scorer. He sky has never scored on a one-rimer in his career lol

He's done it a couple times. But by one shot scorer it means guy with a good wrist shot. Hemsky has great velocity and placement on his shot. But his release is so slow. Not NHL quality for a release.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
last year at the development camp Klefbom was better than everyone else there not named nail yakupov. I fully expect him to dominate this camp. Also it should be noted that klefbom practiced with the oilers the last month of the season. I think they have a very good idea of what he is going to bring and how ready they think he is. That could also be why we havent seen any drastic changes to the defence.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
He's a big boy. Now imagine if our other d prospects put it together and fill out.

Ya, can you imagine if Marincin and Gernat fill out like Klefa and Musil?

I'm at 213. It isn't that hard. :sarcasm:

He does look like he's in great shape though. He's had time to bulk up because of his surgery.

It's good he was able to utilize his time. It'd suck if he missed the season AND wasn't able to train

last year at the development camp Klefbom was better than everyone else there not named nail yakupov. I fully expect him to dominate this camp. Also it should be noted that klefbom practiced with the oilers the last month of the season. I think they have a very good idea of what he is going to bring and how ready they think he is. That could also be why we havent seen any drastic changes to the defence.

I hope not. I'm as optimistic as anyone, but I'd rather get one more legit top 4 at the least. Ideally, Klefa and Schultz don't start in the top 4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad