Prospect Info: The Official Oscar Klefbom thread: Does he make the team out of camp?

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Last thread nearing 1000.

Some posts from the last thread.

No. Just No to starting Klefbom in the NHL next season. The Oilers shouldn't have a single rookie in their lineup on the opening day of the regular season.

Enough is enough. If they are serious about competing they need to get some effective players who can grow beards to fill the roster holes.

The Oilers already look to have Yakupov, Schultz, Hartikainen, and possibly Lander on the team. That's 4 guys with only half an NHL season. That's enough rookies already.

That D is butter soft. If they are re-signing Whitney to a 1 year contract, I hope they go out and sign/trade for a physical top 4 d-man in Regehr/Mitchell mode.

Breaking news: Klefbom saw how horrible the oilers were from the pressbox that he took the first plane back to Sweden

Ideally you hope you can make him see the way.

I have no issue with him saying what he said. Nice to see someone from Sweden taking a more conservative route and not hyping the kid up further.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I like this kid and think he'll make the team next year.

Any word on if he'll be healthy enough to play at the WHC?

He is not part of the group of players trying-out for the team SWE this year, so he's definitely not playing. Non-NHL players normally need to be training and playing with the national team for a couple of weeks to have a chance.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
He is not part of the group of players trying-out for the team SWE this year, so he's definitely not playing. Non-NHL players normally need to be training and playing with the national team for a couple of weeks to have a chance.

Well boourns, not much anyone can do other then hope he trains hard and gets himself healthy for next season.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer 8m
Klefbom has been skating pretty much every day for a couple weeks, save for a few maintenance days. Lots of work on the fundamentals.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Wondering if he will be joining OKC to follow them and practice with them through the playoffs? Didn't Marincin do that last year?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That's good. It doesn't make up for losing the year, but I'd imagine he's getting a lot more 1 on 1 time

I'd assume so. Here was the previous tweet. Pretty sure Serdachny is our skating coach.

Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer 43m
Sitting watching Oscar Klefbom work with @serdachnyhockey. It's a cathartic moment...heck of a player in the making here.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
I'd assume so. Here was the previous tweet. Pretty sure Serdachny is our skating coach.

Sitting watching Oscar Klefbom work with @serdachnyhockey. It's a cathartic moment...heck of a player in the making here.

I don't get it, did Tencer swallow a dictionary or a box of laxitives?

nando2392

Apr 26, 2013
Oscar Klefbom

How good is his upside? I haven't seen him play a single game, what's hid best atribute? How is his hockey sense and IQ?

Lawson624

Nov 25, 2012
How good is his upside? I haven't seen him play a single game, what's hid best atribute? How is his hockey sense and IQ?

He's a good skater, solid passer. His poke check is very good and he's solid positionally from what I've seen. His upside I think is a all around defender that's good at every thing but not great at anything. Maybe a solid number 2 D.

nando2392

Apr 26, 2013
He's a good skater, solid passer. His poke check is very good and he's solid positionally from what I've seen. His upside I think is a all around defender that's good at every thing but not great at anything. Maybe a solid number 2 D.
Could he be a dream defender? 30 mins a night D?

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE

Tencer discovers the thesaurus.

The Perfect Human*

Can he be a 30 min D?

"30min D" is something you never want. It means your team has terrible defensive depth if your #1 is playing minutes like that. Your question should be "does he have #1D potential?"

Hard to say. At onset after the draft it was said Brodin was the brains and Klefbom was the brawn between the two defensemen. Brodin had clear advantage at that time.

If anything Klefbom has done tons to close the gap between the two. Scouts and media alike are raving about his defensive zone play, size, and strength.

I don't think there was ever any doubt with Brodin, a player drafted for his Lidstrom-like hockey sense. Klefa had some questions but has progressed smoothly. It's hard to assess hockey sense without seeing him play in the NHL.

Only way to assess is to see how he looks at TC I guess.

stoff

Apr 19, 2007
"30min D" is something you never want. It means your team has terrible defensive depth if your #1 is playing minutes like that. Your question should be "does he have #1D potential?"

Hard to say. At onset after the draft it was said Brodin was the brains and Klefbom was the brawn between the two defensemen. Brodin had clear advantage at that time.

If anything Klefbom has done tons to close the gap between the two. Scouts and media alike are raving about his defensive zone play, size, and strength.

I don't think there was ever any doubt with Brodin, a player drafted for his Lidstrom-like hockey sense. Klefa had some questions but has progressed smoothly. It's hard to assess hockey sense without seeing him play in the NHL.

Only way to assess is to see how he looks at TC I guess.

He is very interesting. I recall hearing the same as you at the draft with the addition that klefbom would be better offensively than Brodin but worse defensively.

This year all we heard about was his defensive prowess. Some scouts even said they preferred him to Brodin. I hope he can have the impact Brodin had this year but am willing to be more patient.

In all I think we got a stud who reminds me of a less physical Nicklas kronwall. If he turns out like that I would be thrilled.

The Perfect Human*

He is very interesting. I recall hearing the same as you at the draft with the addition that klefbom would be better offensively than Brodin but worse defensively.

This year all we heard about was his defensive prowess. Some scouts even said they preferred him to Brodin. I hope he can have the impact Brodin had this year but am willing to be more patient.

In all I think we got a stud who reminds me of a less physical Nicklas kronwall. If he turns out like that I would be thrilled.

In style, this may be true. Kronwall took some time to learn the defensive side of the game (DRW waited till he was like 25 to make him a regular). Klefa is a bit more defensively well-rounded than Kronwall was at the same developmental stage.

To me, Kronwall is an offense-first defenseman with average defensive ability. I feel that Klefa will be more balanced. Not the same 50+ point offensive threshold, but 35-45pt peak with solid defensive game. Kind of like John Carlson on the Caps (6'3, 215 - similar size to Klefa too).

Carlson is another guy who's a good skater with a hard shot who's turned himself from an offense-first guy to a 2-way defenseman.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
In style, this may be true. Kronwall took some time to learn the defensive side of the game (DRW waited till he was like 25 to make him a regular). Klefa is a bit more defensively well-rounded than Kronwall was at the same developmental stage.

To me, Kronwall is an offense-first defenseman with average defensive ability. I feel that Klefa will be more balanced. Not the same 50+ point offensive threshold, but 35-45pt peak with solid defensive game. Kind of like John Carlson on the Caps (6'3, 215 - similar size to Klefa too).

Carlson is another guy who's a good skater with a hard shot who's turned himself from an offense-first guy to a 2-way defenseman.

Klefbom isn't and has never really been an offense first d man. The talk about him being a more offensive guy than Brodin around the draft must have come from Klefbom being a great skater with a nice shot but he's never really had much offensive instinct.
His offensive contributions are a good first pass, a decent shot and the ability to skate the puck up ice(one of the better players I've seen in this category actually).
Never really put up any big offensive numbers and doubt he ever will in the NHL. Unless ofc he develops that aspect as well, considering his development curve the last few seasons you never know, seems like a guy who really works on his weaknesses, but I wouldn't count on it.

I think very highly of him and don't think he'll be a black hole offensively but if he starts producing a lot of offense it's all bonus. He'll be the guy who turns Schultz into a Norris winner instead...

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd be thrilled if he ended up being a 30 point defenseman with everything else that he brings to the table. I won't expect it though, but if he gets there that means that he'll be a great player for us.

Oct 30, 2011
I'd be thrilled if he ended up being a 30 point defenseman with everything else that he brings to the table. I won't expect it though, but if he gets there that means that he'll be a great player for us.

Provided he gets PP time, I don't think 30 points is unreasonable.

The Perfect Human*

Klefbom isn't and has never really been an offense first d man. The talk about him being a more offensive guy than Brodin around the draft must have come from Klefbom being a great skater with a nice shot but he's never really had much offensive instinct.
His offensive contributions are a good first pass, a decent shot and the ability to skate the puck up ice(one of the better players I've seen in this category actually).
Never really put up any big offensive numbers and doubt he ever will in the NHL. Unless ofc he develops that aspect as well, considering his development curve the last few seasons you never know, seems like a guy who really works on his weaknesses, but I wouldn't count on it.

I think very highly of him and don't think he'll be a black hole offensively but if he starts producing a lot of offense it's all bonus. He'll be the guy who turns Schultz into a Norris winner instead...

I don't think SEL numbers are good representative of NHL production for Swedish defensemen. Hell, an 18-year old Karlsson only put up 10p in 45gp in the SEL, while a guy like Rundblad put up 50p in 53gp at 19 and has done nothing at the NHL level.

And no, I'm not saying Klefbom is going to rack up points like Karlsson.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

I don't see 30 being out of reach by any means. He's very likely going to be Schultz's partner going forward, and will probably pick up his fair share of points just from being with an elite puck mover.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad