Speculation: The Official Offseason Roster Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Again, you are putting words in my mouth, no one said guaranteed 2nd line C. Nothing is black and white or 100%, there are risks and degrees of confidence.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think Borgstrom is a fine gamble, but not enough to be completely worth all of Connolly's cap hit. And it was a mistake (but not an unreasonable one) to think that Connolly's previous 2 seasons of good play could result in him being somewhat of a bounce back candidate after 20 horrible games.

If they really thought he was just a cap hit, nothing more, then they likely wouldn't have played him all of the first 9 games after acquiring him and give him 11:30 of ice time (he did only play 1 of the last 5 games).
He's a filler, he can play on the 4th line.

I didn't put words in your mouth, you said, the trade only makes sense if they were very confident Borgstrom is a legit #2 center or Stillman is a legit middle pairing D. Obviously, both of those are very big reaches.

The trade makes sense without knowing what those 2 will be. It's a gamble, and all we gambled was cap space we won't use anyway.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Again, you are putting words in my mouth, no one said guaranteed 2nd line C. Nothing is black and white or 100%, there are risks and degrees of confidence.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think Borgstrom is a fine gamble, but not enough to be completely worth all of Connolly's cap hit. And it was a mistake (but not an unreasonable one) to think that Connolly's previous 2 seasons of good play could result in him being somewhat of a bounce back candidate after 20 horrible games.

If they really thought he was just a cap hit, nothing more, then they likely wouldn't have played him all of the first 9 games after acquiring him and give him 11:30 of ice time (he did only play 1 of the last 5 games).

Well, seeing as there's likely nobody in the NHL who thought this, it can't be a mistake. If teams thought this, the guy wouldn't be a f***ing cap dump.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois

Was it? He's only played 10 games for the Hawks so far. He can still bounce back next season.

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
Well, seeing as there's likely nobody in the NHL who thought this, it can't be a mistake. If teams thought this, the guy wouldn't be a f***ing cap dump.
My point is that I don't think he was intended to be a 100% cap dump, more of a 50% cap dump give or take. This is a pretty stupid, inconsequential conversation, but I guess thats what message boards are for :laugh:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
My point is that I don't think he was intended to be a 100% cap dump, more of a 50% cap dump give or take. This is a pretty stupid, inconsequential conversation, but I guess thats what message boards are for :laugh:
It's only stupid because you, for some reason, think that Connolly wasn't a complete cap dump.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

He's 100% a cap dump, with a very small chance he bounces back. The Hawks weren't gambling on him being a bounce back candidate at all. They wanted Borgstrom.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I’m looking for Gaudette or Nylander to break next year. Guys can shoot. It’s between them.

More and more I think about how this offseason has moved along, I can’t see Hawks making big splash. The Jones rumor is about players and I can’t see Hawks making a trade for him.

Suck it this year and go big next summer after drafting high.

Nylander - Toews - Kubalik
DeBrincat - Dach - Kane
Gaudette - Borgström - Kurashev
Suter - Kämpf - Hagel
Carpenter, Connolly

Zadorov - Boqvist
Kalynuk - Murphy
Stillman - Mitchell
Beaudin, Jones, de Haan

Lankinen
Subban

Won’t look like this but maybe this is the strategy we should be hoping for. Prospect pool includes Reichel, this years draft pick and with this roster we are closing on Wright.

See who belongs.

needle

Apr 30, 2012
High expectations for Gaudette and Borgstrom developing on here. I think five years ago I would have bought into the hype, but these days it seems more of a pipe dream for other teams castoffs to make a significant impact on our team.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Jeremy Colliton must be gutted about losing his 1st line playoff warrior John Quenneville, hopefully his broken heart and disillusionment will cause him to resign.

Didn't it turn out Nylander had a knee injury so it was Quenneville or Sikura? I mean that's like picking between broccoli and brussel sprouts for a three year old.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
He's gonna storm off the draft table like Q
Tweet.png

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
I’m looking for Gaudette or Nylander to break next year. Guys can shoot. It’s between them.

More and more I think about how this offseason has moved along, I can’t see Hawks making big splash. The Jones rumor is about players and I can’t see Hawks making a trade for him.

Suck it this year and go big next summer after drafting high.

Nylander - Toews - Kubalik
DeBrincat - Dach - Kane
Gaudette - Borgström - Kurashev
Suter - Kämpf - Hagel
Carpenter, Connolly

Zadorov - Boqvist
Kalynuk - Murphy
Stillman - Mitchell
Beaudin, Jones, de Haan

Lankinen
Subban

Won’t look like this but maybe this is the strategy we should be hoping for. Prospect pool includes Reichel, this years draft pick and with this roster we are closing on Wright.

See who belongs.

If Gaudette can give some decent offense in the bottom-six, that's found money. At this point, I have zero expectations for Nylander. He floats all over the ice, he doesn't contribute defensively, and now he hasn't played hockey since the bubble. Based on the way Buffalo handled him and missing this past season, I'm afraid his development has been stunted to a degree. I really don't see him being a meaningful contributor for us. Would love to be wrong since he has potential, but potential only means something if you come close to reaching your ceiling and he's lightyears away.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
I think Gaudette could make a good high energy center on the 4th line. We should sign the goaltender Anderson for 1 year and Suter to replace Keith for a couple of years buy out DeHaan, let Z walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad