The Official Memorial Cup Thread

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
JP Anderson is overrated imo. And lately, he hasn't stolen a single game for Mississauga. He actually doesn't need to steal a game since the Majors can score when they need to but give up less at least and he hasn't done it consistently. The whole Majors plan works if the goalie is reliable, otherwise Cameron might as well start to get them to play end-to-end hockey, I have more faith in Kitsyn, Shugg, Cizikas, etc scoring atm than I do in Anderson.

Last edited:

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
Really liking how Stuart Percy's been elevating his game, you can see his draft stock going up with each shift.

Ogopogo*

Is Owen Sound as good as they looked last night?

I have watched quite a few of Kootenay's playoff games, and tonights game was BY FAR the worst they played.

If they dont show up tonight, it could be curtains for a team that absolutely dominated the WHL playoffs....and are likely going to be going without their best defensman and Captain.

I think the key for them is playing with the lead...should be a great game.

Shocking to see how things change. I was shocked at first how easily Kootenay handled Saskatoon, Red Deer and Portland in the WHL playoffs and now I am shocked that they have lost two in a row at the Memorial Cup.

I guess that's why they play the games.

playthetrap*

JP Anderson is overrated imo. And lately, he hasn't stolen a single game for Minnesota. He actually doesn't need to steal a game since the Majors can score when they need to but give up less at least and he hasn't done it consistently. The whole Majors plan works if the goalie is reliable, otherwise Cameron might as well start to get them to play end-to-end hockey, I have more faith in Kitsyn, Shugg, Cizikas, etc scoring atm than I do in Anderson.

I thought Anderson was very good tonight. He really controlled his rebounds well, actually had a good glove hand compared to Kootenay's goalie, and was quick with his pads. I actually think the opposite with the scoring for the Majors and when they can score or not. They have been having real trouble getting goals lately and I think are best off trying to win this tournament 2-1 every game.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them win this Cup after their OHL Final collapse.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
JP Anderson is overrated imo. And lately, he hasn't stolen a single game for Minnesota. He actually doesn't need to steal a game since the Majors can score when they need to but give up less at least and he hasn't done it consistently. The whole Majors plan works if the goalie is reliable, otherwise Cameron might as well start to get them to play end-to-end hockey, I have more faith in Kitsyn, Shugg, Cizikas, etc scoring atm than I do in Anderson.

He plays for MISSISSAUGA. I'm pretty sure Minnesota doesn't have a CHL team.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
^ Why you gotta nitpick?

I agree, I posted that and then he bounced back huge tonight. BUT I will say that the Majors have to play the type of dominant hockey they did all season long. I was at a game where they stuffed Niagara 10-1, they didn't allow Kingston anything in a 5-1 win, they aren't gonna win like this in the Mem Cup but the common theme in these games was that they were actually attacking (and they were home games). Anderson didn't need to be good. With all the offensive talent on the team, you'd hope that Dave Cameron is willing to change his plan if it's not working and against Owen Sound, it stopped working because Owen Sound was able control the puck and get through the Mississauga defence. These aren't NHL players, they're gonna have defensive lapses so why doesn't Cameron put a bit more trust in his forwards? Particularly Kitsyn, this guy could've been a 1.6 ppg type of player on other OHL teams. I'll agree that it was a very effective style against most OHL teams in the regular season but you're gonna have to start scoring in the Mem Cup because the other teams aren't gonna get choked by your defence.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I say Owen Sound just for the fact that they've been on a huge role in these playoffs. Just seems that everything is clicking for them at the moment. I'm also a Leaf fan so I'm a bit biased in this game because of Blacker.

Go Majors!

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I say Saint John tomorrow, then Mississauga beats Owen Sound in the semis and we get a Saint John vs Mississauga final

KristoLeblanc*

Sea Dogs are by far the best team of the tournament.

Huberdeau
Phillips
Kirkpatrick
Jurco
Galiev
Beaulieu
Despres
Gelinas

They had a really bad game against Mississauga and still managed to win.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
This thing is the Sea Dogs to lose, especially if Hishon is out for any length of time. I thought the Ice would be the 2nd team, but they just haven't looked themselves.

torontosports10

Mar 6, 2009
Hopefully Anthony is back in the lineup tonight and we can have the lines we rolled with all season back in play. He would be a big boost as we would then have two legit 1st lines.

Huberdeau-Phillips-Gailev
Anthony-Kirkpatrck-Jurco

Then we would have two legit shutdown lines

Thomas-MacAuly-Beauregard
Gauthier-Tesink-Oke

TheRookie

Dec 30, 2006
Based on the way he went off the ice it certainly would appear to be a concussion ... If that's the case I certainly hope for Hishon's sake he doesn't play the risk just isn't worth it.

They have avoided the word concussion but like Kypreos i think he's dealing with a concussion unfortunately for him whether the team wants to use the word concussion or not ...

TheRookie

Dec 30, 2006
From the Sportsnet website ...

The Attack forward did not join his teammates for a short, optional skate Sunday. His status remained uncertain for Monday's game, as he will undergo a baseline concussion test after taking a hit from Kootenay captain Brayden McNabb in Saturday's game.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Word on the Av board this morning was that he was a game time decision. For my team's sake (Avs) I hope he misses the rest of the tourney. Our NHL club has enough injury issues as it is.

GM17*

Beaulieu + to a lesser extent Despres better get their heads in the game for this one. ****.

TheRookie

Dec 30, 2006
Joey Hishon will not play against Saint John tonight .... Precautionary reasons. He did have a baseline exam today ...

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
I've only seen him play once so I'm biased towards that game, but if Binnington plays really well I think Owen Sound has an alright chance. But I also haven't seen Saint John's play so I couldn't say for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad