HF Habs: The Official hawks race to a better 2nd round pick Thread

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
According to habsprospects.com he doesn't need to pass through waivers next year.

Waivers Infos - Habs Prospects

They could be wrong. But whether he's on a one way or a two way is irrelevant for waiver considerations.

I checked with Cap Friendly. Lindgren doesn't have a contract next season. He's RFA at the end of this one.

Still I expect him to be the backup next year. I don't see another year in the minors helping him at all. He needs to learn the NHL game and shooters. He'll learn a lot being Price's understudy too.

And, McNiven needs the net in the AHL if Habs want to develop him too.

So 2019 season:

Lindgren in NHL (22 games)
McNiven in AHL (35 games min)
Fucale probably released.

Does Hayden Hawkey get signed at the end of this season and become the ECHL goalie next year? Probably not. I can see him finishing his senior year at Providence.

Montreal will need to sign an AHL goalie next year to backup McNiven until Hawkey is signed.

The Montoya move is good because it clears the way for Lindgren next season. We get a draft pick & can survive with Niemi as back-up for the next 42 games.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
4th overall?

I dunno if i would even do that...I mean let's say Galchenyuk played for the Blues ,or they owned the 3rd overall pick (Gally27).....would you take him as a 3rd overall in return for Pacman?? Would that have worked out for us ??

That 's the risk ya take ....I would like established player"s" in return for Pacman if a trade does occur.

Last edited:

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
I dunno if i would even do that...I mean let's say Galchenyuk played for the Blues ,or they owned the 3rd overall pick (Gally27).....would you take him as a 3rd overall in return for Pacman?? Would that have worked out for us ??

That 's the risk ya take ....I would like a established player"s" in return for Pacman if a trade does occur.

This is hard to read but I think I disagree with the main idea.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Our picks update:

1 x 1st (top 10)
3 x 2nds (ranging from 32nd to 62nd overall)

1 x 3rd
2 x 4th (potentially)
1 x 5th

Hopefully Bergevin starts to get a thing for trading players for picks until the deadline.

We had too many goalies, and now we still have too many wingers. Time to either trade some of them for a center or for picks.

Pacioretty Hudon
Galchneyuk Drouin
Lehkonen Gallagher
Shaw Byron
Carr Deslaurier
Scherbak Cracknell

Time to move at least 3 wingers, (and bring in Duclair for a 3rd)

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
I dunno if i would even do that...I mean let's say Galchenyuk played for the Blues ,.,.,..,would you take him in return for Pacman??
That 's the risk ya take ....I would like a established player:s" in return for Pacman if a trade does occur.
At first, it felt like a fourth overall would be interesting, but it really depends of the quality of the draft and of the choice of Timmins...

2017Cale Makar
2016Jesse Puljujarvi
2015Mitchell Marner
2014Sam Bennett
2013Seth Jones
2012Griffin Reinhart
2011Adam Larsson
2010Ryan Johansen
2009Evander Kane
2008Alex Pietrangelo
2007Thomas Hickey
2006Nicklas Backstrom
2005Benoit Pouliot
2004Andrew Ladd
2003Nikolai Zherdev
2002Joni Pitkanen
2001Stephen Weiss
2000Rostislav Klesla
1999Pavel Brendl
1998Bryan Allen
1997Roberto Luongo
1996Alexandre Volchkov
1995Chad Kilger
1994Jason Bonsignore
1993Paul Kariya
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Hopefully Bergevin starts to get a thing for trading players for picks until the deadline.

We had too many goalies, and now we still have too many wingers. Time to either trade some of them for a center or for picks.

Pacioretty Hudon
Galchneyuk Drouin
Lehkonen Gallagher
Shaw Byron
Carr Deslaurier
Scherbak Cracknell

Time to move at least 3 wingers, (and bring in Duclair for a 3rd)

I think the core of this team leadership wise is rotten. That means Pacioretty, Weber, Plekanec are potentally moving pieces. I also like the team to add more size. I mean Byron, Drouin, Gallagher, Shaw, Hudon are all under 6 feet

Reactions: Doc McKenna

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
I think the core of this team leadership wise is rotten. That means Pacioretty, Weber, Plekanec are potentally moving pieces. I also like the team to add more size. I mean Byron, Drouin, Gallagher, Shaw, Hudon are all under 6 feet
Be careful what you wish for... BargainBin might get you a King 2.0...

Reactions: Habs100

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
NHL Entry Draft Picks - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

If Montoya plays 7 games, and if LAK makes the Playoffs, we could have 8 picks in the top 128 (just a little over 4 rounds), possibly 7 in the top 100. And that's before the firesale that could happen if MB assumes a tank.

I don't think MB will tank, he'll keep Price and Weber and that is not tanking per say, I'm pretty sure he thinks he can retool around these guys. Pacioretty and Plekanec might be gone at deadline but after that I don't think he will touch the core of his team yet.

To me a complete rebuild would be trading Price and Weber for 1st rounders or top prospects, and I think I'd be up to do that, but that means the Habs could be very bad for the next 2-3-4 years, depending on how Lindgren plays and if some players can take it to the next level. I think for Molson it would also be a timely relief on the money he needs to hand out to players in these dark times, and would also mean he'd have the oportunity to to can MB, CJ and his cronies and start anew, à la Leafs, without spending to the cap for a lousy product on the ice.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Looks like we got our center! Oh wait.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Our picks update:

1 x 1st (top 10)
3 x 2nds (ranging from 32nd to 62nd overall)

1 x 3rd
2 x 4th (potentially)
1 x 5th

To get above yield, we need:

1. LA Kings make the playoffs: If Los Angeles makes the post-season, the Canadiens receive their own 2018 fourth-round pick in 2018 back which was traded away in the Dwight King deal at last year’s trade deadline. Should the Kings miss the playoffs, Montreal receives a fifth-round selection.

2. Al Montoya plays 7 games: If AM plays 7 games for Oilers, 4th Rd pick in 2018. If AM plays less than 7, 5th Rd pick in 2018.

Montreal Canadiens Future Draft Pick Status

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We're talking potential 4th round picks. He's not "building through the draft" or anything.

And, who knows what he'll pull in terms of trades. A Shawlike deal can happen again.

After his shoddy performance over the last 2 years in particular, it's going to take a lot more than acquiring potential 4th round picks to make up for the mess he created.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Neimi is the better goalie anyway. Montoya really stunk. Good move to get something but not sure this is indicative of a tank.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Bergevin and Chia must be bored out of their mind...

Bergy: "Hey, you want Monty?"
Chia: "Sure."
Bergy: "Let's come up with some conditional bullshit so we look clever even though we're both in charge of a lottery team."
Chia: "Right on!"

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Bergevin and Chia must be bored out of their mind...

Bergy: "Hey, you want Monty?"
Chia: "Sure."
Bergy: "Let's come up with some conditional bull**** so we look clever even though we're both in charge of a lottery team."
Chia: "Right on!"

225ql0.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad