Blue Jays Discussion: The official Danny Jackson Appreciation Society

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The last thread was over 1k and it's about time to start a fresh thread, accelerated by the renewed discussion about Anthony Bass and the fallout from his social media posts.

To that end:

NO MORE SOCIO-POLITICAL DISCUSSION OF THE BASS INCIDENT WILL BE ALLOWED IN THIS THREAD. If you want to talk about his role on the team in baseball context that's fine but we're not going down the route of people arguing about Bass' comments, the nature of free speech, the sensitivity of society, or anything else.

Any future Bass-related off-topic posts will be deleted. Particularly strident or repetitive attempts to push things in that direction may result in threadbans or harsher sanctions.

This will be the only warning on the matter. Anyone posting in this thread will be assumed to have read and understand this post.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Bass has been replacement level this year.

We can definitely do better.

Edit: Fun fact, when a guy who throws hard loses some velo it can be crippling (Bass has lost half a tick each of the last two years). That's why the Jays don't pursue flamethrowers, even if the logic that they will eventually get worse is stupid.

Last edited:

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
suspicious-new-girl.gif

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Shitshow aside, Atkins wording on Manoah was interesting;

I can't imagine a couple weeks is enough time to fix what's wrong with him. I wasn't expecting him back until August/September if at all honestly.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Next year the Jays should have a callup/journeyman start the opening day game.

After Ryu's season kinda went off the rails in 2021 , Berrios last season, and now Manoah this season.

Reactions: Cleetus

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006

I can't imagine a couple weeks is enough time to fix what's wrong with him. I wasn't expecting him back until August/September if at all honestly.

At least two. That just means that he won't be back for his 2nd to next start (which he would have been eligible for).

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Varsho's bat has the highest bid right now to raise funds for ALS. It his higher so far than bats from JRod, Trout, McCutchen, Cole, Alonso, Altuve, Betts etc.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

I don't imagine that they're intending it to just be 2 trips. Just that they're providing a very aggressive/optimistic timeframe if everything goes to the most ideal end.

If he said "I don't think he's back for 2+ months" people would likely freak out about him coming back too late to do anything.

Really there's probably nothing he could've said that people would've agreed with.

Meanwhile, to lighten the mood:

Reactions: SoupNazi

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't imagine that they're intending it to just be 2 trips. Just that they're providing a very aggressive/optimistic timeframe if everything goes to the most ideal end.

If he said "I don't think he's back for 2+ months" people would likely freak out about him coming back too late to do anything.

Really there's probably nothing he could've said that people would've agreed with.

Meanwhile, to lighten the mood:

I suppose you're right on the final part. I personally would have just said "Alek will be down there until we feel he's made the proper adjustment/has his head right/blah blah blah"

setting that aggressive of a timetable is only going to draw more media attention and shit takes when he isn't back with the team by the end of the month.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I suppose you're right on the final part. I personally would have just said "Alek will be down there until we feel he's made the proper adjustment/has his head right/blah blah blah"

setting that aggressive of a timetable is only going to draw more media attention and shit takes when he isn't back with the team by the end of the month.

The media sucks at taking non-answers though. You give them "he'll be back when he's ready" and you get like a dozen "when will that be?" follow-up questions.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Bahahaha!! All I have to do to beat Manoah's last start is......get a second out in the first inning. LOLOL

There was a position player in a game (non-Jays) a week or so ago that got outs by chucking 30mph slow-pitch softball lobs to the plate. You can manage that, surely!

Reactions: kb

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
It's doable!

* sends resume to Jays *

Maybe I should put my name in too in case they want to do a piggyback system. I can't throw that hard and only have a terrible fastball, more terrible change, even more terrible splitter, and a sinker that wouldn't reach the plate. But I am left handed and throw from a low arm slot so it would work as a change of pace!

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
giphy.gif

Mets score 5 runs in the series vs the Jays: swept.

Probably due for some offense, right?

Mets score 19 runs in the series vs the Braves: swept lmao

The Mets feel like Baseballs equivalent to the Maple Leafs, no matter what they do, no matter how shiny their new toys are, they can't help but crush the souls of their fans.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Maybe I should put my name in too in case they want to do a piggyback system. I can't throw that hard and only have a terrible fastball, more terrible change, even more terrible splitter, and a sinker that wouldn't reach the plate. But I am left handed and throw from a low arm slot so it would work as a change of pace!

My fastball once reached 80mph on one of those carnival radar thingy's, in reality it was probably closer to 70mph... clearly the reason why I never made it, wasn't that I had too much skill... those who can do, those who can't teach.... would also explain why I've been a coach for over 30 years, I have too much skill ... ;)

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

There is no need to be aggressive , his one win in 13 starts is not going to be missed. I'm sure who ever takes his spot in the rotation can equal that. It's addition through subtraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad