Music: The Official Country Music Thread

Dave Karp

Jul 11, 2007
Nova Scotia
After searching for a thread about country tunes to no avail awhile back I figured there must not be many country fans on hfboards so I decided against making a thread. But now with school being done, I have time to do something that may or may not be a waste of time.

So for all you country fans out there, please post anything related to country. Sharing and discussing your favourite artists, songs, brand new releases, and the like are all encouraged.

I don't really mind debates (like is Taylor Swift country?) or anything of that nature just so long as they are intelligent (not "omgzz Tay Swift sux but she's hawt"). Just keep it clean, polite and on point.

I'll start off by posting my 3 favourite songs right now, not surprisingly two have been number 1 on the charts and one will be soon. Just a reminder to everyone, it's easier for the flow of a thread to put YT videos side by side (like I have done underneath).

Last edited:

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
I'm a big alternative country fan myself. Outlaw's good in my book, too.

Dave Karp

Jul 11, 2007
Nova Scotia
Jamey Johnson is one of the best in the business. Sensational writer and has a great voice for country, IMO. I love "That's Why I Write Songs" (can't find a great version on youtube) and in fact he has written for many great artists with a lot of his songs becoming hits. Here's two more that I enjoy from Jamey.

sonticus

Blown Tire
Oct 3, 2010
Sacramento, CA
I agree on the Miranda Lambert song at the start of the thread, has a great sound to it. I also really like Joe Nichols' song Shape I'm in, great breakup song.

And then there's Sugarland, I like pretty much everything they've put out. Looking forward to their concert in a couple months.

Dave Karp

Jul 11, 2007
Nova Scotia
Sonticus: I'm a big fan of Joe Nichols, he seems to always have catchy songs. They are not the most complex songs, but great songs to just drink a few beers with your friends.

I feel with recent events this song is quite appropriate. I'm not American nor do I always agree with their foreign policy but I envy the sense of pride that America has for their troops and for their country itself. I get goosebumps watching this video.

Classified

Mar 30, 2009
Nova Scotia
I love country, one of the few of my friends who do. Sitting on the beach with a 6 pack and some good country music, nothing better in the world imo. Some of the songs I've been digging lately.

Dave Karp

Jul 11, 2007
Nova Scotia
Speaking of Luke Bryan (who I really like) I think he'll have a number 1 hit this summer with this song (by the way, I'm using Kix Brook's Top 40 as my reference point for the country music charts):

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Listened to Grievous Angel last night. Classic stuff.

Last edited:

Dave Karp

Jul 11, 2007
Nova Scotia
That's a good tune, Teemu. Just curious on your views on today's country music as a genre?

I heard a nice summer country song on the radio today. New one by the Zac Brown Band featuring the great Jimmy Buffett.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Corb Lund

One of the best live bands out there, Elliott Brood (Alt)

Last edited:

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
I like that Country Music has diversified it's sound and range of artists. But since it was such a tight, micromanaged community for decades it's weird to see pop bands like Sugarland and Taylor Swift classified as Country. Still, songs like 'Live Like You Were Dying' (Tim McGraw), 'You're Gonna Miss This' (Trace Adkins), 'Before He Cheats' (Carrie Underwood) and even 'She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy' (Kenny Chesney) are fun but still sound like they're created by "country" artists.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I like that Country Music has diversified it's sound and range of artists. But since it was such a tight, micromanaged community for decades it's weird to see pop bands like Sugarland and Taylor Swift classified as Country. Still, songs like 'Live Like You Were Dying' (Tim McGraw), 'You're Gonna Miss This' (Trace Adkins), 'Before He Cheats' (Carrie Underwood) and even 'She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy' (Kenny Chesney) are fun but still sound like they're created by "country" artists.

They've always walked a fine line but the Taylor Swift stuff to me is where they went 'full Pejorative Slur' as Kirk Lazarus said.

I'm not a huge country fan but I grew up listening to it because of my Parents so I have a soft spot for some of it.

One of the biggest under appreciated artists IMO is Sammy Kershaw

Can't go wrong with Dwight Yoakam.

Little old school flavor? Hank Sr. is the guy.

There is a really cool version of this song, as a combination of Hank Sr, Jr, and III.

Last edited:

Topp Spin

STIHL 286
Dec 4, 2010
Alberta
Growing up, my parents were huge fans older country music and so am I.

Waylon Jennings (My favourite)
Willie Nelson
Charley Pride
Hank Williams (Jr. and Senior)
Charlie Daniels Band
Conway Twitty
Merle Haggard
Ronnie Milsap
Marty Robbins
Buck Owens
George Jones

And from the 80's and 90's.

Dwight Yoakam
Sammy Kershaw
Clint Black
Travis Trit
Randy Travis
Alan Jackson
John Anderson
The Bellamy Brothers
Alabama
Sawyer Brown
The Statler Brothers
Diamond Rio
Tracy Lawerence

These are most of my favourite bands and/or singers and still are. Real country music. I personally can't stand the garbage "new country" they have today. It's basically pop music with a steel guitar in the background. I absolutely hate it...

Two of my favourite bands, The Eagles and Dire Straits are also influenced by country music. Especially The Eagles.

Listen to a song called "Murder on Music Row" by Alan Jackson. That's exactly how I feel about new country music.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I don't get why many people only claim to only like "older" country music. I mean, it's basically all pop music, isn't it?

Dave Karp

Jul 11, 2007
Nova Scotia
I don't get why many people only claim to only like "older" country music. I mean, it's basically all pop music, isn't it?

I'm a person who enjoys both. And while I do see your point to a certain degree there is definitely a strong element of "twang" in older country music and that's what a lot of people equate as "country music". Mainstream country still has a unique place within the industry and people like Keith Urban, and Taylor Swift may not be as "traditional country" as say Miranda Lambert is but I don't think that they should necessarily be discredited for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad