Music: The Official Country Music Thread

Dave Karp

Jul 11, 2007
Nova Scotia
Just bought tickets to see Travis Tritt in concert.

I'll repose my question: Anyone have any stories from country music concerts/festivals?

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
Neat, I just posted in the "music you like no one else really likes" thread that I really like older country music. There are some songs here and there of today's country, but for the most part I can leave it. I'm also lucky there is an AM station here that plays country music from the 60s-80s. What's odd is I remember when they did "Today's Country" as well, but I think they realized that country was changing and stuck with what they knew (they were the first to play George Strait back in 1981).

Anyway, I'd take too long to write out my favorites but a few I don't recall seeing mentioned are Steve Wariner and Gary Stewart

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I like old and new country: Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette &, George Jones from the old school. Randy Travis, Josh Turner, the O'Kanes, Foster & Lloyd, Marty Stuart & Travis Tritt from the newer school.

Don't like Garth Brooks [except for "friends in low places"]- he was all about the marketing. Ditto Faith Hill and Shania Twain.

IMO we will not see any "old school country" types again because the population from which those people came is now so small as to be non-existent.

Phenomenal Smith

Sep 3, 2010
I'm not really into the modern NashVegas sound, but i do like some acts that might be considered alt-country or Americana. Nice to see some videos from Corb Lund and Hayes Carll posted here as they are a couple of my faves.

Topp Spin

STIHL 286
Dec 4, 2010
Alberta
Just bought tickets to see Travis Tritt in concert.

I'll repose my question: Anyone have any stories from country music concerts/festivals?

Right on! Travis Tritt is fantastic. He speaks his mind with his songs and is a true country star.

My personal favourites of his are: "Where corn don't grow" and "Country Club."

I wonder if he's coming to BC anytime soon, I'd love to go to his concert.

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
HUGE country fan myself! Its basically all I listen to with the exception of when I'm driving to hockey...even then I work some in! July was a great month for me...Merritt Mountain Music Fest..saw Dierks again, Aaron Pritchett, Joe Nichols(w/Chad Kroeger...totally random)...wasn't the best line up this year, but a blast still! Then a week and a half later it was off to Kenny Chesney w/Billy Currington and Uncle Kracker. In september I'm off to Vancouver again to see Dean Brody, Aaron Lines and Derrik Ruttan

Couple of good tunes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT_hW-PMRRk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5HTwlY_O64
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx-dUsh6OT8&ob=av2e

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Start with Dwight Yoakam. He is a strong an artist playing traditional country in so many of it's subgenres as you can find. And, he rocks harder than most "rock" bands. Then get the first Flying Burrito Brothers album, as well as both Gram Parsons albums. I'd also suggest the Long Ryders, Native Sons, and Steve Earle's output up to Transcendental Blues. That should be enough to transition into the classic country...Johnny Cash, Hank Williams Sr., George Jones, Buck Owens, Lefty Frizzell, Waylon Jennings and Ray Price. Bobby Bare is very good, too. And, look for anything written by Harlan Howard, one of the great country songwriters. And, if you want to here what real country pop sounds like, you could do a lot worse than checking Glen Campbell...great voice, one of the great session guitar players in the 60's, and he put out four absolutely classic singles - Gentle on My Mind, By the Time I Get to Phoenix, Wichita Lineman and Galveston. (The last three of which were written by Jimmy Webb.) And, you cannot do wrong checking out Patsy Cline.

davebenj

Mar 19, 2011
I love country. My favorites include Blackhawk, Garth Brooks, Shania Twain (not totally country), Alan Jackson, George Strait, some Toby Keith, Tim Mcgraw, Mark Chesnut, Alabama, David Lee Murphy and others. I only know about 5 or 6 people total who love country not counting myself.

JustGivingEr

How far we done fell
Aug 17, 2009
Hamsterdam
I had to bump this thread as I have been listening to Eric Church nonstop for the past week or so.
It started off with me listening to his newest album Chief on replay before I decided to listen to some of my old favourites songs from Carolina and Sinners Like Me.

Eric Church is definitely one of my favourite country artists. I remember I was going to see him live so I listened to a bunch of his songs and really enjoyed them.

I also really like Corb Lund and Hank Williams (Jr.) as well as certain songs by Billy Currington, Toby Keith, Paul Brandt, Keith Urban, and a few others.

While I listen to all sorts of music (from gangsta rap to classic rock) I find country the most enjoyable and easily the most relaxing.

deekortiz3

Sep 11, 2009
Anyone have any stories from country music concerts/festivals?

My girlfriend listens to country, so I guess I do to. Went to two bigger country shows this year. Worst shows I have ever been too. Bunch of stupid drunk kids failing around. I guess being in the Bay Area and only seeing fake ass dudes in cowboy hats always turned me off but Country has definitely changed for the worse. I talked to some people from Colorado and Texas at the shows they thought it was pathetic and hated going to the shows out here too. The genre has really changed for the worse very similar to punk rock like some other poster stated.

To be fair though... I saw Ashton Shepard at a little bar over here and she was incredible.

Last edited:

Miss Mess

Mar 12, 2007
Los Angeles
I recently saw Toby Keith and Eric Church in concert. It was a blast!!!

I also love Kenny Chesney, Carrie Underwood, Darius Rucker, Jason Aldean, Brad Paisley, Billy Currington and tons more

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad